• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DROPS! CONSOLIDATED MEGATHREAD--JACKETS & SUITS! c. 39-46. J. Press, RARE Old-School Abercrombie & F

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've moved all the remaining jackets and suits into this single post, to make way for new arrivals. All have undergone price drops, plus all were ready to be "bumped" anyway!

As always, ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING IN CONUS, AND OFFERS ARE VERY, VERY WELCOME
!​

1) HEAVY HARRIS TWEED JACKET!

SOLD

This is one serious serious Harris Tweed jacket! Cut from traditional heavyweight Harris tweed, you could wear this and dispense with a coat on all but the most frigid of days. Perfect for shooting grouse, stalking deer, watching rugby, or even playing rugby it's so tough, this is what you think of when you think Harris Tweed. Heavy, thick, masculine, and utterly wonderful. This jacket is almost certainly British, having a three button front and English single-button cuffs. All the buttons are, of course, leather-covered football buttons. It also is fully lined and has a single vent, and is quarter-canvassed. This jacket is a lovely, dark, dark, herringbone in brown, slate grey, and chestnut, and the herringbone itself is broad and bold of the sort that's quintessentially Harris or Donegal and now so rarely seen. This jacket does have some wear to the interior label on the sole inside pocket, as well as some wear to the front edge of the closure. There is also an easily repairable tear in the lining along the seam by the vent. Given this, this jacket is in Good/Very Good condition, and hence is a steal at just

$35, or offer, boxed and shipped in CONUS.

Measurements:

Chest: 22 1/4
Sleeve: 24 1/2 (+1)
Shoulder: 18 1/4
Length: 29

TweedsSpringIaBunny034-1.jpg

2) J. Press 3/2 sack Spring/Summer jacket.

SOLD

Another lovely jacket! This is a classic J. Press jacket for Spring or Summer, cut as a traditional 3/2 sack. Although there is no fabric content listed, this is clearly either a silk/linen blend, or a silk/cotton blend, or possibly a linen/cotton blend. The colourway is wonderful, too, being a cream/brown herringbone with vertical sky-blue striping. This jacket is half-canvassed and fully lined. It's in absolutely excellent condition, and was, of course, made in the USA. It also has a single center hook vent!

Asking just $65 > 55 > 49, or offer.

Measurements:

Chest: 22 1/4
Sleeve: 24 1/2 (+1 1/2)
Shoulder: 19
Length: 30 1/3

TweedsSpringIaBunny073.jpg

3) Land's End cotton jacket--with patch pockets![/B]

[COLOR=FF00AA]SOLD[/COLOR]

Half-canvassed and fully lined, this lovely cotton jacket was Made in the USA. It has a center vent, contemporary two-button front, and the ever-desirable patch pockets. This is a very well-made jacket that's in excellent condition, apart from a small brown blemish in the lining.

Asking just $38 > 32, or lower offer, boxed and shipped in CONUS.

Tagged a 40R, but see measurements:

Chest: 21 1/4
Sleeve: 24 7/8 (+ 1 3/4)
Length: 30 1/8

TweedsSpringIaBunny104.jpg

4) Hickey Freeman cream suit.

SOLD

Half-canvassed and fully lined, this suit is perfect for Summer! Cut from 100% wool in cream, this is half-canvassed and fully lined, and features HF's signature lining. This is from the Boardroom collection, and was Made in the USA. The trousers are flat front and uncuffed. This does, however, have two flaws: There's a blemish on the lapel, as shown, and a smaller blemish on the right sleeve. These might or might not come out with dry cleaning, and so I'm asking just enough for the full suit to cover the cost of the trousers, which being cut from cream wool will work well as odd summer trousers. :)

So, asking just $25 > 20 > 18, or offer, boxed and shipped in CONUS.

Measurements:

Chest: 24
Sleeve: 24 1/2 (+3)
Shoulder: 19 1/2
Length: 31 1/4

Waist (laid flat): 21 1/4
Inseam: 29 (+3 1/4)

Iatweedflaw035.jpg

5) Brooks Brothers poplin suit.

The Ivy summer classic! Half-canvassed and fully lined, his classic summer suit is in olive--the traditional alternative to tan! It features a single center vent, and a contemporary two-button, darted cut. The trousers are pleated and cuffed. It was, of course, Made in the USA, and is in excellent condition--apart from some dry-cleaner pinpricks near one pocket in the lining!

Asking just $50 > 45 > 40 > 38, OR OFFER, boxed and shipped in CONUS.

Measurements:

Chest: 21 1/2
Sleeve: 24 1/8 (+2)
Length: 30 1/4

Waist (laid flat): 17 1/4
Inseam: 28 (+ 3/4) plus 1 1/2 cuff.

Iatweedflaw042.jpg

6) BEAUTIFUL & UNWORN Tweed with subtle overcheck; Polo University by RL. c. 39R.

Half-canvassed and fully lined, this lovely tweed is almost certainly unworn: ALL of the front pockets are still basted shut, and it's in absolutely excellent condition. Were I an eBay seller I would describe this as being "NWOT".... But since I'm not, I'll use the far more honest description of "almost certainly unworn, and in excellent condition"! :)

Now, normally, I tend to avoid RL products, unless they're RLPL or especially beautiful--and this certainly fits the latter category! Made in Canada, this is cut from a beautiful tweed that simply defies description and photography; it's a very, very dark, rich brown with a subtle hint of very dark forest green in the colourway, with a very, very subtle overcheck in single threads of russet and cream. Lovely! My pictures do NOT do this justice at all.... This jacket has a standard contemporary two button front, is subtly darted, and has a single vent. It also has four button cuffs. The tweed is mid-weight, and given the colourway would be great for the cooler Spring evenings in New England, and absolutely perfect for the Fall!

Asking just $35 > 30 > 28, boxed and shipped in CONUS, OR LOWER OFFER! International inquiries welcome, with shipping at cost.

Tagged 39R, but please see measurements:

Chest: 21
Sleeve: 25 (+1 3/4)
Shoulder: 18 3/4
Length: 31 1/4

Springjackets124.jpg

7) THE PERFECT "MAD MEN" JACKET! Canvassed 3/2 sack, beautiful collar roll, Union Made in the USA!

SOLD

"Mad Men" has begun, and here's your opportunity to acquire the perfect "Mad Men" jacket! Beautifully cut from dark, dark, green mini-herringbone cloth with a thin vertical stripe of petrol blue (see the close-up clickable thumbnail of the lapel roll for the best view of this), the cut of this jacket is simply superb. A classic 3/2 sack, it has a wonderful and elegant lapel roll that's clearly never been mis-pressed in its life, which leads perfectly to the lapels... which, since this was Union-Made in the USA in the later 1960's, are not overly narrow but perfect for the balance of the jacket. This jacket also features classic two-button cuffs and a center hook vent. Naturally, it's half-canvassed and half-lined, and has wonderfully natural shoulders. It's also cut from light- to mid-weight cloth, so it could readily be worn this Spring! :)

I should note that my pictures don't this justice at all--this is easily one of the nicest jackets of this sort I've come across, and I've seen plenty! It's in absolutely excellent condition--I was shocked when I saw the type of Union tag it had inside!

Asking just $45 > 40 > 36 > 34, OR LOWER OFFER, boxed and shipped in CONUS. International inquires are very welcome, with shipping at cost.

Please PM with interest and offers!

Measurements:

Chest: 22 1/2
Sleeve: 26 (+2)
Shoulder: 18 1/4
Length: 32 1/8

waterhollowtweed055.jpg

8) RARE ORIGINAL ABERCROMBIE & FITCH--NOT the same company as now has this name!--CLASSIC 3/2 sack navy blazer

SOLD

Let's start with some history--the "Abercrombie & Fitch" that made this jacket is NOT the same A&F that caters to half-dressed mall-roaming teenagers today! The A&F that made this jacket was founded in 1892 and closed in 1976; the name was then bought and resurrected by Oshman's Sporting Goods in 1978, who sold it on to The Limited in 1988.... and you know the grim results!

The Abercrombie and Fitch that made THIS jacket was the original version--the elite, elite (think Purdey elite) sporting goods store that is reputed to have sold Hemingway the shotgun that he used to kill himself. Its wares were seriously expensive, and justly so--as this jacket attests. Although there's no fabric content listed this is clearly from from some very, very nice woolen cloth indeed, as demonstrated both by the hand and drape. The colourway is lovely, too--a wonderful, deep, rich navy, perfectly commensurate with the quality of this blazer. And the cut does the fabric full justice--a classic 3/2 sack, this has an absolutely wonderful lapel roll, which clearly hasn't ever been miss-pressed in its life. This jacket is half-lined and half-canvassed, and has a single centre vent and three button cuffs. It also carries the highly-desirable and now increasingly rare green-on-black interior label identifying this as a REAL Abercrombie and Fitch item! It was, of course, Union Made in the USA, and judging by the Union label just before A&F's demise.

This jacket is in absolutely excellent condition--it could have been bought yesterday (and would have cost a small fortune had it been!)

Asking just $50 > 45, OR LOWER OFFER, boxed and shipped in CONUS, for this wonderful piece of American clothing history! International inquiries are welcome, with shipping at cost.

Tagged a 44R, but please see measurements:

Chest: 22 1/2
Sleeve: 23 1/2 (+1 3/4)
Length: 31

AFAqua001.jpg

9) PERFECT SPRING TWEED! Classic light grey and cream herringbone by Corbin

Founded in 1947 and originally manufacturers of trousers only, Corbin is one of the undersung Great Purveyors of Trad / Ivy Clothing.... what other company would have a line of trousers called "Natural Shoulder"? All of the Corbin jackets I've seen have been wonderful--and this is no exception. Cut from a lovely softer tweed in classic light grey and cream herringbone, this has a lovely hand and drape... and given both its weight and colourway this is the perfect classic, versatile, tweed for Spring!

It's half-canvassed and fully lined, and features a center vent. It was, of course, Made in the USA--as far as I know Corbin make nowhere else--and is in excellent condition: the front left pocket is still basted shut, and the right and chest pockets still have remnants of their original basting thread, too. This does have one small mar: There seems to be a fault in the tweed on the right arm, as shown, where the warp threads didn't catch the cream colour, leaving black only. But this only adds to the artisanal character of this tweed! Because of this, though, I'm

Asking just $34 > 30 > 27 > 25, OR OFFER, boxed and shipped in CONUS. International offers are welcome, with shipping at cost!

Measurements:

Chest: 21 1/4
Sleeve: 24 (+ 2 1/4)
Shoulder: 20
Length: 30

Springjackets139.jpg

Attachments

• sleeves 001.JPG
    sleeves 001.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Corbin has just been added, with a price drop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads