• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dropping ISP after buying smartphone?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,351
Reaction score
3
I currently pay $43/mo for internet at home and pay $67/mo for a basic phone.

I've never had a smartphone before but I'm due for an upgrade and my 2 year ISP contract runs out in a month or two. Should I go for phone w/internet and drop my ISP? What do you guys think? Anything that saves me some cash is is a plus.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,779
Reaction score
3,346
$43/mo is pricey! I pay appr $20 via Verizon. So your internet access would be via your smartphone and tethering?
 

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,351
Reaction score
3
I had to look up "tethering." Wow I am new at this.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
That's fine if you are happy with 3G speeds. If you do any amount of downloading of files, this isn't ideal. If all you do is simple web-surfing and e-mail, then definitely go for the tethering option.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,779
Reaction score
3,346
NP.....So you would get rid of you home internet service and use your smartphone and hook up to your PC to access the internet?
If so, I do that for work on my work laptop and it can be slow. Just an FYI...
 

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
18,559
Reaction score
8,489
Do you really want your home internet to be tied to the whims of the phone network?

Have to have your phone plugged in (or at least in the same room via BT) in order to quickly check the weather report?

Not to mention speed/congestion issues...
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,779
Reaction score
3,346
I would not do it. I would negotiate a better internet deal with ur provider...General internet access for $40/mo?? Pricey!
 

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,351
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by ter1413
I would not do it. I would negotiate a better internet deal with ur provider...General internet access for $40/mo?? Pricey!

Yea its a $29.99/mo plan that comes to $43/mo somehow after taxes.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,779
Reaction score
3,346
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Yea its a $29.99/mo plan that comes to $43/mo somehow after taxes.

Wow.....are you a "power" internet user who d-loads a lot of stuff.....If not, I would call them up and ask for a slower speed/lower price......
At home, I have Verizon for my home service. I also have a personal Blackberry that my job pays $115/mo towards the data plan. I could use it at home, but I don't. Just too slow....
Who is ur provider?? Audit that bill bruh!!
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
Originally Posted by ter1413
Wow.....are you a "power" internet user who d-loads a lot of stuff.....If not, I would call them up and ask for a slower speed/lower price......
At home, I have Verizon for my home service. I also have a personal Blackberry that my job pays $115/mo towards the data plan. I could use it at home, but I don't. Just too slow....
Who is ur provider??


Jesus fucking christ. $115 for a data plan? My company pays for my unlimited international iphone data plan and that comes out to like $50-$80 pre-corporate discount (I forgot what it is exactly). But $115!??
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,779
Reaction score
3,346
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Jesus fucking christ. $115 for a data plan? My company pays for my unlimited international iphone data plan and that comes out to like $50-$80 pre-corporate discount (I forgot what it is exactly). But $115!??

Yep...I have the company software loaded on it with our e-mail platform and also the tethering charge for when I use my corp laptop...
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
Originally Posted by ter1413
Yep...I have the company software loaded on it with our e-mail platform and also the tethering charge for when I use my corp laptop...

Ah okay, the tethering charge. That sucks. I mean, for whoever is paying, not you. AFAIK, AT&T still has not been able to detect my tethering activity.
 

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,351
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by ter1413
Wow.....are you a "power" internet user who d-loads a lot of stuff.....If not, I would call them up and ask for a slower speed/lower price......
At home, I have Verizon for my home service. I also have a personal Blackberry that my job pays $115/mo towards the data plan. I could use it at home, but I don't. Just too slow....
Who is ur provider?? Audit that bill bruh!!


I use Clearwire/or Clear/whatever theyre called now. I signed on for a basic plan but it says I have premium. Guess Ill wait til the contracts over and downgrade.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,779
Reaction score
3,346
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Ah okay, the tethering charge. That sucks. I mean, for whoever is paying, not you. AFAIK, AT&T still has not been able to detect my tethering activity.

Actually a great deal for me: when I got a new berry last Dec, the netbook that was offered with it was free(after rebate.) So I had to get another # for the wireless internet netbook access. Appr $40/mo. So my berry(I have unlimited everything) and netbook charge comes to appr $140/mo(on 1 Verizon bill.) Company picks up $115....I end up laying out $25!
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
20,779
Reaction score
3,346
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I use Clearwire/or Clear/whatever theyre called now. I signed on for a basic plan but it says I have premium. Guess Ill wait til the contracts over and downgrade.

Call them up and get credited if you don't need premium!
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,360
Messages
9,444,990
Members
197,899
Latest member
Swartzfager
Top