• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dropping ISP after buying smartphone?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently pay $43/mo for internet at home and pay $67/mo for a basic phone.

I've never had a smartphone before but I'm due for an upgrade and my 2 year ISP contract runs out in a month or two. Should I go for phone w/internet and drop my ISP? What do you guys think? Anything that saves me some cash is is a plus.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$43/mo is pricey! I pay appr $20 via Verizon. So your internet access would be via your smartphone and tethering?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to look up "tethering." Wow I am new at this.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's fine if you are happy with 3G speeds. If you do any amount of downloading of files, this isn't ideal. If all you do is simple web-surfing and e-mail, then definitely go for the tethering option.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NP.....So you would get rid of you home internet service and use your smartphone and hook up to your PC to access the internet?
If so, I do that for work on my work laptop and it can be slow. Just an FYI...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you really want your home internet to be tied to the whims of the phone network?

Have to have your phone plugged in (or at least in the same room via BT) in order to quickly check the weather report?

Not to mention speed/congestion issues...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would not do it. I would negotiate a better internet deal with ur provider...General internet access for $40/mo?? Pricey!

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
I would not do it. I would negotiate a better internet deal with ur provider...General internet access for $40/mo?? Pricey!

Yea its a $29.99/mo plan that comes to $43/mo somehow after taxes.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Yea its a $29.99/mo plan that comes to $43/mo somehow after taxes.

Wow.....are you a "power" internet user who d-loads a lot of stuff.....If not, I would call them up and ask for a slower speed/lower price......
At home, I have Verizon for my home service. I also have a personal Blackberry that my job pays $115/mo towards the data plan. I could use it at home, but I don't. Just too slow....
Who is ur provider?? Audit that bill bruh!!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow.....are you a "power" internet user who d-loads a lot of stuff.....If not, I would call them up and ask for a slower speed/lower price......
At home, I have Verizon for my home service. I also have a personal Blackberry that my job pays $115/mo towards the data plan. I could use it at home, but I don't. Just too slow....
Who is ur provider??

Jesus ******* christ. $115 for a data plan? My company pays for my unlimited international iphone data plan and that comes out to like $50-$80 pre-corporate discount (I forgot what it is exactly). But $115!??

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Jesus ******* christ. $115 for a data plan? My company pays for my unlimited international iphone data plan and that comes out to like $50-$80 pre-corporate discount (I forgot what it is exactly). But $115!??

Yep...I have the company software loaded on it with our e-mail platform and also the tethering charge for when I use my corp laptop...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep...I have the company software loaded on it with our e-mail platform and also the tethering charge for when I use my corp laptop...

Ah okay, the tethering charge. That sucks. I mean, for whoever is paying, not you. AFAIK, AT&T still has not been able to detect my tethering activity.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who is ur provider?? Audit that bill bruh!!

I use Clearwire/or Clear/whatever theyre called now. I signed on for a basic plan but it says I have premium. Guess Ill wait til the contracts over and downgrade.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Ah okay, the tethering charge. That sucks. I mean, for whoever is paying, not you. AFAIK, AT&T still has not been able to detect my tethering activity.

Actually a great deal for me: when I got a new berry last Dec, the netbook that was offered with it was free(after rebate.) So I had to get another # for the wireless internet netbook access. Appr $40/mo. So my berry(I have unlimited everything) and netbook charge comes to appr $140/mo(on 1 Verizon bill.) Company picks up $115....I end up laying out $25!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I use Clearwire/or Clear/whatever theyre called now. I signed on for a basic plan but it says I have premium. Guess Ill wait til the contracts over and downgrade.

Call them up and get credited if you don't need premium!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads