• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drop Shoulders on Shirts - Ever Ok?

briancpotter

Reaction score
I was browsing the shirts on Kamakura, and noticed that they have a fairly wide yoke, which would seem to put the shoulder seam well down the arm on some of their smaller sizes.

I've always hewn fairly closely to the "shoulder seams should be at your actual shoulders" rule - is it ever a good/acceptable look to have drop shoulders on shirts?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I was browsing the shirts on Kamakura, and noticed that they have a fairly wide yoke, which would seem to put the shoulder seam well down the arm on some of their smaller sizes.

I've always hewn fairly closely to the "shoulder seams should be at your actual shoulders" rule - is it ever a good/acceptable look to have drop shoulders on shirts?

No.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

briancpotter

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll be passing on getting any Kamakura shirts. A shame.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i just looked at the sizing chart.
the size grading is a bit odd.
but
the yoke size is standard .
the 14.5 could be reduced by 1/4-1/2"

16.5" yoke puts the shoulder line high up on your shoulders. higher then average.

the yoke on my fit model for a small is (14,5) is 17.5

i am more concerned about the length of the shirts.
they are very long

what is your actual chest measurement.
i think you may be measuring the yoke incorrectly.

briancpotter

Reaction score
Quote:
i think you may be measuring the yoke incorrectly

That's what I was afraid of, that I'm somehow interpreting the numbers wrong.

My chest measurement is 35 in.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
unless you have very narrow shoulders the 14.5 will be just slightly wider then some other slim fits
but it will not be hanging off your shoulders the way shirts looked 15 years ago.

TonioKroger

Reaction score
Interesting...I wanted to comment because one of the key things I like about the Kamakura shirt is how neatly and precisely the seam sits *right at* my shoulder...this will sound idiotic- but it imitates the look of one of those clean-edged advertising drawings of the 60's...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads