• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drop it like it's stock.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
So...I made some chicken stock last night and after I dropped it I noticed that the texture was kind of slimy. I used a lot more carcass for this batch than I normally do, probably 5 pounds or more, and even though I simmered the entire time, there wasn't a lot of separable scum or fat that rose to the surface, so I'm thinking a lot of that cooked back into the liquid. Is it still edible? Any ideas for thinning it, or should I not even worry about it?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Edible? Sure. It's just ***** stock. It'll just have a poor texture in whatever you use it for.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Is it just gelatinous?
Yeah, I guess that's it. Other stocks I've made turn out a lot less so and I skim more off the surface in the first 40 minutes or so.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gelatinous is good. It should be that way. Is it clear or cloudy when warm?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Wierd that chicken stock would get like that. Never happened too me.

Happens a lot with pork which has a ton of natural gelatin. Happens with beef when I use a calf's foot for the same reason.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's the way my chicken stock always gets. it's just natural gelatin ... comes from using a high ratio of bones to water.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Gelatinous is good. It should be that way. Is it clear or cloudy when warm?
I think it was cloudy. Glad to hear I didn't **** up then. As long as this is going, anyone have preferred stock recipes? I don't really make any besides chicken, which usually involves an onion, a carrot, celery, and a bouquet garni with a lot of thyme. I would like to try some others.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Stock doesn't have recipes, just ratios. You don't want recipes that add any other flavors. Bones, mirepoix, and bouquet optional. That's it, IMO.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you don't really want a lot of different flavors in stock. the idea is chicken, with some underlying. it should be relatively neutral because you'll use it as a base for different sauces/soups.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Alright, nevermind then. I guess I meant ratios? I like a little thyme flavor to come through. I would add it to any soup anyways.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Stock doesn't have recipes, just ratios. You don't want recipes that add any other flavors. Bones, mirepoix, and bouquet optional. That's it, IMO.

Originally Posted by foodguy
you don't really want a lot of different flavors in stock. the idea is chicken, with some underlying. it should be relatively neutral because you'll use it as a base for different sauces/soups.

This isn't just a coincidence. It's fate.
inlove.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Add meat. It clarifies it and makes it tastier. Of course, it makes it more expensive, but I always add a good deal of meat.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Stock is stock. All that matters are a handful of things.

1) Ratio. That is, ratio of mirepoix to bones, and ratio of water to bones.

2) What mirepoix?

3) Brown or white stock?

Traditionally the water:bone ratio for meat stock is closer to 1:1; for poultry and fish it's more like 2:1.

You need not much mirepoix. Maybe 20% of the weight of your bones.

Mirepoix is typically onion/carrot/celery, 2:2:1. Many leave the celery out of meat stock. I tend to. I typically use it in poultry. Beef or veal or lamb stock typically takes tomatoes and tomato paste. Fish stock is unique in that you use only white mirepoix, leek and onion. You also use wine in that.

You can make any stock (except fish, which is only white) in a white or brown variation. To make white, blanch the bones and then start over with new water. Or, if you don't want to do that, just skim agressively as all the scum comes up. Rinse the bones first to get the blood off.

Brown stock means you roast the bones first then roast the veg. I also put in a burnt onion for additional color. Halve an onion at it equator then put cut side down on a hot pan until it gets black. Drop in stock.

All stocks take the same aromatic: thyme, parsely, bay leaf, crushed garlic, black peppercorn. I tie this in a leek green like so:

0w9vOl.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads