1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Driving

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Classic, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Classic

Classic Senior member

Just out of curiousity, what do you do with your suit jacket or blazer when you are driving? I hang mine on the hook provided, or if there are passengers in rear seat, then I hang it on the back of the driver's seat.
    No one has ever commented on this. Today, a new business associate stated that this is an old custom that does nothing for the jacket. What are your thoughts?

Classic

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

It's got to be better for the jacket -- though I have often driven with my jacket on. My feeling is that when you are pressed up against something, there is a higher likelihood of wrinkling (because you combine heat, a little bit of perspiration, and the cloth not draping perfectly flat).

I think your colleague is obviously wrong. After a long day at the office, I think you'll notice that the back of your shirt is far more wrinkled than the front. Clearly this is because the back of your shirt has been pressed up against your chair all day. Same thing goes for the coat.

3. j

j Senior member Admin

An old custom? I guess, if you live in the new world of disposable clothing. If you want your clothes to look good longer, you take care of them. As Johnny said it will obviously wrinkle more if you wear it while driving. Also no matter how well fitting the jacket, you will have better mobility and thus more safety in driving without it on. I've done it both ways, though instead of putting it on the hook and covering a window I turn it inside out, fold it and put it on the back seat.

4. Kai

Kai Senior member

If I'm going to be driving for more than a quarter of an hour, I will usually take off my jacket and put it in the back seat or in the trunk.

Taking it off definitely saves on wrinkles.

5. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I always lay it down on a vacant seat -- or folded over the back of mine if the car is full. Now, j, you turn the entire jacket inside out? Could you explain the reason for this a little?

6. General Koskov

General Koskov Well-Known Member

Good God. It's still March and we're already stripping in our cars, are we? It's times like this that I wish I didn't live in Manitoba.

Personally, I wear a suit coat/sport coat in the car if I am wearing it otherwise. If it wrinkles...too damned bad for me, I shouldn't have worn something that wrinkles so easily.

7. j

j Senior member Admin

It's just a habit I got into but it's a smart one in my opinion. You just turn the jacket body inside out with the sleeves folded in, then fold the whole thing in quarters. The main reason I do it is just in case it falls out into dirt, someone steps on it, or whatever, you're far less likely to stain a visible part of the jacket. Even if you get something on a jacket that will come out, it's better to have it inside than have to show it off to everyone for the rest of the day/night. I do it with my peacoat as well.

8. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Hmm...well, I only have a 25-30 minute commute to work, so I just wear the sportcoat while driving (unless it is the heat of summer). I've been very impressed with the super 150s wool; for example, I put on a jacket today at 8AM, drove to work, worked mostly at my desk today, and ended up removing the jacket tonight at 7:45PM. As I always do (to check for wrinkles, and thus 'investment value'), I held up the jacket to check the back-- perfect, not a wrinkle nor ripple to be seen..