1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Driving to California

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Arethusa, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

As your attorney, I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top.

You just inspired me to start reading again.

2. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

If you are driving through Nevada, watch out for state troopers, or the highway patrol.[​IMG]

3. j

j Senior member Admin

You just inspired me to start reading again.
    Eh, rent it. Reading is so last millenium.

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

if you smoke on long drives, remember to bring along something to put in your cigarette butts THAT DOESNT BURN.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

And watch out for crying Native Americans.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

And watch out for crying Native Americans.

eh? [​IMG]

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The community college route is an excellent way to gain your residency in California (1-year) so you can attend a UC school at the resident tuition.

I like the bring a tent idea.

Arches and Joshua Tree are my favorite places to stop on the way out west.

8. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

For the true taste of Americana, your trip must include stops at:

Mt. Rushmore
    Wall Drug
    The Corn Palace

There is nothing else to do out there (SD and Iowa) so you may as well take pictures of goofy stuff. Well, not that Mt. R is goofy--it's quite cool I think--but Wall Drug and The Corn Palace are definitely goofy.

Isn't Car Henge somewhere along the route also?

I've driven across country three times (WA-NH, VA-WA, WA-MD) and on none of the occassions was it excatly fun.

The last trip did involve a stop in Chicago for the 4th of July though, which was pretty cool. As well as stops at the places above (and Little Bighorn, Devil's Tower, and a few other places). The first two trips were just straight-out drives and that is fine. Get it over with.

10 hours/day should get your there in what 5 days?

It's not absolutely necessary, but I would recommend booking a couple hotels before leaving just to make sure. That way you have gauranteed lodging and you have a goal to aim for. You would be surprised where you find booked hotels (the middle of nowhere Wyoming as an example).

bob

9. kabert

kabert Senior member

From Connecticut, I guess it'd be easier to take the northern route, but from I understand from others who've done it, the northern route isn't particularly interesting driving until you get to South Dakota or so. The southern route, on the other hand, is interesting driving as soon as you get past Tennessee into Arkansas (then Oklahoma). I agree with the tent suggestion -- I slept in my tent about 1/2 the nights I drove cross country. There are lots of campsites out there if you find the websites/books that list them. Sleeping in your car is very bleak if you've been in it all day already, so I'd plan to stay the night occasionally in a Super 8 motel, which are everywhere and are very cheap ($45/night or so as long as you're not near a metro area).

Anyway, unless you have to be out in CA in a hurry, you really, really ought to plan a route so that you meander through the parks in Utah (Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, and Lake Powell you'll remember forever), go to Yellowstone and spend at least 2 days there (pay $12 to get your own private campsite on the shores of a one of the lakes -- incredible experience), and get up to Montana if you can (go trout fishing in Ennis).

When I drove cross-country, I found that a 10-12 or even 15 hour day of driving wasn't nearly as gruelling as it sounds -- you set the cruise control on 78, and the scenery is so good (on the Route 40 route anyway) that the miles and hours just fly by.

Good luck. I'm envious.

10. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
  11. yesjoshyes

yesjoshyes New Member

Fountain Valley is in Orange County. I moved from Seattle to Newport to go to Community College for 2 years, and now im moving to San Diego to go to SDSU. Orange County is extraordinarily trashy and unless you stay in Newport/Laguna area, prepare to encounter a lot of crime and miserable people. They have the weekly crime report in the OC Register and it always amazes me how extensive the list is.

anyway, the weather is nice and the girls all take care of themselves... but that isn't always a good thing. have fun!

12. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

That is reassuring!

This trip got pushed back several days due to trouble getting a replacement mirror for my car (yes, despite it having been from a while ago), and I am going a little crazy. Leaving early Friday morning, now. Still unsure whether I should take I70 across or I80 (either way, heading to Denver and then I15 into California, most likely). I kind of want to stop in Columbus to see someone, but I keep hearing bad things about I70. Any suggestions?

13. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I just spent four days on Route 66. Bring a book for when you hit west Texas!

Side trip: Santa Fe. (cost you about 120 additional miles round trip)

14. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

In November of '85, I drove my 1960 VW bug from Nantucket to San Diego, surfed for a few months, and then drove back. I was stoned out of my mind most of the trip, had no tunes in the car, and was quite certain I was going to die horribly on a number of occasions.

I trust you will be more sensible.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

In November of '85, I drove my 1960 VW bug from Nantucket to San Diego, surfed for a few months, and then drove back. I was stoned out of my mind most of the trip, had no tunes in the car, and was quite certain I was going to die horribly on a number of occasions.

I trust you will be more sensible.

C'est la vie.

The French are always wonderfully poetic.

16. Nantucket Red

C'est la vie.

The French are always wonderfully poetic.

Dude, it was epic!

Surfers are always wonderfully, like, whatever.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Dude, it was epic!

Surfers are always wonderfully, like, whatever.

It certainly sounds like a Kerouac/Dylan drama.

18. Nantucket Red

It certainly sounds like a Kerouac/Dylan drama.

It was far more so than I've hinted at here. I've often considered writing about it.