Driving ticket

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by T4phage, Aug 29, 2004.

1. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Driving back home from Church today, I got a ticket  [​IMG]  It was for a really dumb thing: I was at a stoplight and was waiting for it to turn green, when I noticed that my cell phone was on silent.  I turned the ringer on, and a cop who was nearby saw me: Bang: an expensive ticket.  I tried to protest by saying that I was stopped at a light, and was only turning on the ringer and had no intention of using it with my hands (I had my headset on).  All to no avail......  [​IMG] All my "good vibes" down the drain.... What really bites is that there is no law against shaving, putting on makeup etc while driving: much more dangerous activities.  I've seen women behind me putting on eyeliner while driving...

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's been a few years, but I've even seen a guy eating a bowl of cereal while driving. And don't even get me started about the people who read the paper.

Cell phone use while driving is the current bugaboo for safety advocates. Frankly, I don't see why it's any more dangerous than any of the myriad other distractions that are perfectly legal.

3. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I totally understand the law against usage of cell phones while driving. But the cop saw me at a stoplight and I was just turning the da*n ringer on... Well, there goes part of a Weston shoe [​IMG] . Now eating a bowl of cereal takes some skill, I think almost as good as that woman putting on eyeliner going at 120 kmh. When I saw her behind me, I quickly switched lanes [​IMG]

4. Kai

Kai Senior member

I know a person who plays his game boy while driving.

Don't get me started on morons who drive cars. I've been in two accidents. Both times, I was rear-ended while sitting stopped at a red light. I can't tell you how many times I've just about been hit by somebody who was doing something else when they should have been driving.

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

No way..

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Its not even illegal to use your cell phone while driving here, I think at least 3/4 of the populace drives and talks on the cell phone at the same time.

7. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i think it's illegal here in CA (i guess it's a state law?), but it's new so i don't know how much it's enforced. i still do it sometimes, if i'm in a bind. however i'm not a big phone talker anyway, it's usually just to ask 'what was i supposed to get at the store again?'

/andrew - always forgets what he was supposed to get at the store

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Believe it or not, I once saw someone videoing himself at 159.9 MPH... [​IMG] JJF

9. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Got a fine last week for speeding. l was pissed off. l h8 cops and they h8 me.

10. Kai

Kai Senior member

(Kai @ 29 Aug. 2004, 5:22) I know a person who plays his game boy while driving. Don't get me started on morons who drive cars. Â I've been in two accidents. Â Both times, I was rear-ended while sitting stopped at a red light. Â I can't tell you how many times I've just about been hit by somebody who was doing something else when they should have been driving.
    Believe it or not, I once saw someone videoing himself at 159.9 MPH... [​IMG] JJF
    Not fair. I wasn't video taping myself. That video was taken by someone else. Trust me, at the time, I was 100% focused on driving my car.

11. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Sorry Kai...I couldnt resist that one [​IMG] JJF

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I don't think it's illegal. I talk on my cell while driving quite often.

13. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

oh...maybe there are local ordinances against it. the bay area is funny that way.

14. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

What freaks me out here in the Netherlands is the way some drivers tailgate you to get you out of the way..... at 140kmh with a separation of maybe 2 meters max. In Germany's autobahns, I find that the drivers are generally better behaved. The ring around Rome is a killer - I hate the really short merging on/off lanes.

15. RatPacker

RatPacker Active Member

I've seen people reading the newspaper and magazines while driving. One person I would have sworn that he was reading Playboy or Hustler or some magazine to that effect.