• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving shoes (opinions)

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geox driving shoes aren't terrible either - but if you can afford Tod's get them.

GQhustler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I think Harry's of London makes a more comfortable shoe with a better sole than Todds. They do new colors and styles each season. Check them out.

http://www.harrysoflondon.com/produc...-suede-tobacco

I hate this sole. One of the attractive points of both Tod's and Car Shoe is the minimalistic sole, despite how impractical it may be from a durability standpoint.

As for my pair of Car Shoe drivers, I got them on bluefly for $316 - $40 online coupon. They happened to have one pair of the exact color I liked (light grey) and it happened to be in my size. Needless to say, I pulled the trigger without hesitation. I would try to wait around for a deal similar to this rather than buy something you are essentially settling for.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQhustler
I hate this sole. One of the attractive points of both Tod's and Car Shoe is the minimalistic sole, despite how impractical it may be from a durability standpoint.

Try walking in it. It will be the one you will want to travel with and take on vacation, not those little nubby soled thingies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Tod's Drivers and they are very nice, but I try to wear them when I'm not walking around too much.

And they are definitely not appropriate for a shirt and tie! Save them for slim chino's or denim with casual shirts or polo's with no socks in spring/summer. I'd be looking for a more substantial loafer if you want something more formal (not that you can call loafers formal)

Mr. White

Reaction score
I take it that "driving shoes" are some sort of style, as in "tennis shoes."

I always drive barefoot, so that I have better feel of the pedals. I mean, who's gonna look at my feet while I'm driving? "Ooh, omigod, the convenience store attendant didn't like my sandals. I must kill myself now."

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southernstyle
So I'm in the market to pick up some new shoes for the summer, I want them mainly for casual use but something I can also wear a shirt and tie with. I have a pair of Johnston & Murphys currently but I'm ready to try something new, so far I'm looking at the following:

Martin Dingman Prescott's ($235):

530046m3.JPG

Martin Dingman Bob's: ($225):

BobCroco_Cognac_1.jpg

Cole Haan Air Grant ($138):

http://images.colehaan.com//is/image...EComm/SEARCH_A

Anyone have opinions on these shoes or anything else I should check out? My price limit is around $300

bigstar[1].gif

Cole Haan makes an older model driver that is identical to the current Air Grant except that there's an additional piece sewn to the tip of the toe. It's called that Air Gunnison and you can get them at their outlet locations for @$90.00. It comes in the tan (luggage-as shown), dark brown faux croc, and black. Surprisingly, they are pretty sturdy and are well-cushioned.

While there is no great love for the dark brown faux croc (and for Cole Haan overall) on this forum, irl, the color is really dark and the croc pattern is not really that noticeable. In fact, unless the shoe is right in front of your face, the shoe simply looks like a dark brown one.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SFI 3.5 approved driving shoes:
2181.JPG
I really like the Tod's Gommini.
tods-driving-mocs.jpg

taint it sweet

Reaction score
+1 for Tods. I have had several pairs of Tods drivers. You can find them on sale pretty easily.
Does anybody know where to find Tod's on sale? I like the look of them and hear great things, but $500 for a driver is more than I want to part with.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anybody know where to find Tod's on sale?  I like the look of them and hear great things, but $500 for a driver is more than I want to part with.

Tod's factory store

pnewelljr

Reaction score
I have two questions:

1. How do these looks?

2. What would be the best belt color to wear with these? Black maybe since the laces are black too?

zilfi

Reaction score
I own a pair of Cole Haan's Penny Loafer drivers that I orderd from Amazon about a year ago. They are very comfortable and I wear them almost everyday to work and they wear very well.
I highly recommend them.

PieterMais

Reaction score

So I'm in the market to pick up some new shoes for the summer, I want them mainly for casual use but something I can also wear a shirt and tie with. I have a pair of Johnston & Murphys currently but I'm ready to try something new, so far I'm looking at the following: Martin Dingman Prescott's ($235):
530046m3.JPG
Martin Dingman Bob's: ($225):
BobCroco_Cognac_1.jpg
Cole Haan Air Grant ($138): http://images.colehaan.com//is/image...EComm/SEARCH_A Anyone have opinions on these shoes or anything else I should check out? My price limit is around $300
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif
I have had great experiences with the driving shoes from a company called Aurélien. Similar quality to Tods and only cost me 124,95€. They have quite a few colours. I am very happy with my red ones. I bought mine at www.aurelien-online.com Cheers!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads