Driving Shoes, for driving only?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by H4rman26, Oct 21, 2012.

1. H4rman26

H4rman26 Member

I found a great pair of Bally driving shoes. Question is, can you wear them causally- like loafers or would that be a faux-pas?

2. SpiffEngineer

SpiffEngineer Senior member

They were originally created for driving, and perhaps walking to one's car, but other uses have created some controversy... They are viewed by many as more casual than other loafers. Some see drivers as comparable to boat shoes; if you wouldn't wear boat shoes, you shouldn't wear drivers. I am sure there are a spectrum of other views on this forum, (some may even say drivers may only be worn with capes ;).

I see more merit in the latter view, as they are a very casual shoe; regardless, you should be wary of them, as they wear out quickly when you walk on the street, especially in the rain.

3. H4rman26

H4rman26 Member

Thanks. Sound advice. I see what your saying with causal nature and quick wearing, as most have fragile looking pebble rubber designs. Then again, the Bally Wabler (the pair i'm looking at) has a hard wearing sole, which allows one to wear it out more often (mostly with shorts and chinos).

Also, I'm not at the moment in my life were I need driving shoes to drive my Honda :| but the look is really nice.

[​IMG]
    Thanks

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I prefer them for driving only.

5. coop86

coop86 Senior member

99% of people won't look at you twice for wearing drivers out as opposed to loafers. Although it is true that the little rubber nubs on the bottom wear out very quickly, I tore through a pair of Tod's after about 2 months of walking around a city regularly.

6. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I keep some at my office for rainy days so I can wear boots to and from... I wouldn't wear them outside since they wear out fast.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This.

I have two pairs, one black and one brown, that I wear without driving. They do wear out a bit quick, but I think that depends on the type/shape of the rubber sole more than anything else.

8. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

Brown driving shoes are probably my favourite type of casual shoe.

9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

That!

I have a few pairs and really like them in the summer with linen strides or something similar. They clearly aren't built for heavy city wear, but if you get the kind with 'island' soles rather than tods style gomini, they will last longer. No good for hiking through the city streets but on a weekend run to the mall, the diner, the boardwalk, the restaurant, the beach bar etc. they are perfect!

10. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Anyone try reinforcing the "island" rubber soles with vibram or the likes?