1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Driving long distances...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by MarkI, May 3, 2011.

1. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Has anyone used any services that will drive those sorts of distances for you? I have to take a car and I just want to be able to sit back in the SUV and chill.

2. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Satellite radio(really a good quick energy boost)
    x1000
    I drove from Louisiana to SF last summer, solo. It was a breeze with satellite radio. The vehicle matters as well. I was driving my wife's GL550 and it was simply a pleasure. Avoided I-10, took I-40 most of the way and actually enjoyed it. Did the same on the way back and drove 1000 miles in one day without breaking a sweat. Plan your route thoughtfully, get satellite radio.

3. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Don't use LSD to stay awake.

4. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

No bullshit +1 on amphetamines. Vyvanse or adderall will keep you going for days if you have enough of it. If not that, ephedrine works wonders. Just know your safe dosages.

5. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

Chocolate covered coffee beans.

They'll give you the buzz of coffee, but without the bladder-busting when you can't or don't want to pull over.

Doing a long trip (CA-Chicago), wondering what people's opinions are of seat covers - I'm thinking lambskin because I remember my dad had some on his old car and it was warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

When you've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and you're wearing sunglasses, you won't notice the seat covers.

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Take turns with your fiance.

7. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

Having driven by myself from Knoxville to Seattle in a moving truck in 3 days, my advice is this:

1. Get started early - pre dawn twilight
    2. Do not drink any coffee or have breakfast in the morning - it will just make you need to stop sooner.
    3. Get in at least 300-350 miles before you stop for "breakfast" which should be gas station coffee.
    4. Sunflower seeds work better than anything for keeping me awake at the wheel.

5. Optimal traveling is done in a dehydrated and slightly hungry state.

I second the sunflower seeds. I used to take a 4 hr. class that ended at 10:00 pm after a full day at work and I would still have a 1.5 hr drive home. I would fill up with gas, get a diet coke, and seeds. The seeds keep you moving and did the trick for me. There were times before seeds that I didn't remember the last 10 miles of my trip, pretty scary. I tried slapping myself, pinching inner thigh, head out the window... 1.5 years of that shit, glad I survived, it was brutal. [​IMG]

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I second the sunflower seeds. I used to take a 4 hr. class that ended at 10:00 pm after a full day at work and I would still have a 1.5 hr drive home. I would fill up with gas, get a diet coke, and seeds. The seeds keep you moving and did the trick for me. There were times before seeds that I didn't remember the last 10 miles of my trip, pretty scary. I tried slapping myself, pinching inner thigh, head out the window... 1.5 years of that shit, glad I survived, it was brutal. [​IMG]
    haha, that's my life! Except my trip home is 2-2.5 hrs (depending if I take the train for :45min or not). And I've done it now for 2 years and have 2 more to go!

10. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

i drove about 1100 miles in one go solo with only one stop at KFC and a couple of piss stops.

A thermos of coffee and a 4 pack of red bull plus the cricket on the radio.

Although there was almost no traffic on the road. When i got close to my destination (a city) i found dealing with traffic and traffic lights etc very hard.

Although outback driving is pretty easy I wouldnt do it again - it was dangerous.

11. Navi

Navi Senior member

Avoid straight roads, nothing puts you to sleep faster than driving in a straight line for 5 hours.

Or driving in a straight line for 22 hours. (MA to FL on I-95. So fucking boring. [​IMG] )

12. BankerBoi

BankerBoi Senior member

Books on tape by Alex Roy.

Make pit stops efficient. Drink water (or sport drink) a little when gas is half full, then a lot when down to 1/4 tank. If you get in a fast pack of traffic, keep with it. If you're stuck in a traffic jam an under half a tank, pit 'under the yellow' and top up.

13. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I found that a companion whose company you enjoy is most essential for long drives.

Bonus 1: someone who can take their turn at the wheel
    Bonus 2: someone who you can have the sechs with

I also never do the road warrior bit of never stopping until you get there. Find someplace along the way where it would be interesting to stop and rest. On that route you can stop in southern VA or Savannah

15. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

16. xpress

xpress Senior member

Bring lots of change for toll roads.
    Some sort of bluetooth system so you can call and drive when you start to get sleepy...

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

As a survivor of many long road trips:

Coffee is a rookie mistake. You only want to stop when you need gas and coffee makes you pee.

Satellite radio and iPod for all your needs. Talking books, pod casts, all your music, live CNN or news, etc.

Beef jerky and cashews for your snacks. Highly satiating without eating a lot so you don't get full and sleepy.

Pelligrino comes in plastic bottles now. That's what you drink as just a sip will refresh you so you don't have to pee.

Use your cruise control as much as you can so your knee doesn't get sore.

18. Matt

Matt Senior member

Pick up hitchhikers. They are great company and always make the drive safer. Apply liberal use of racial profiling for best effect. The scrawny white guys have the best weed, this is great when you want to sleep at the wheel. The angrier looking white guys have the best amphetamines, these are great for when you want to get in a long stint at the wheel. Indians and Mexicans are useful at food breaks. They get discounts as their cousins always work there. Asians aren't much use unless you need help calculating distances along the way, so just pass them by, the walk will do them good anyhow. Black guys make the scariest stick up kids, so pick them up when you are nearing a gas station, then you get free gas, free candy, and a little bit of extra money to pay for the audio books. Avoid Arabs - they'll blow your car up.

19. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

gonna be driving from kokomo, in to santa clara, ca this summer. at least the trip will be with my gf, but we will also be transporting a dog, so def more stops....

it'll be the first time ive driven for more than 5hrs straight.

20. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

I had a chick friend that used to work with NASA. She had a good suggestion for long road trips. Wear a disguise and arm yourself with a BB gun and pepper spray. Wear a diaper to avoid stops for the bathroom and then just drive. Works everytime!