• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driver / House Security Cameras - Anyone Have / Use Them?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in them. First, for my car for when I'm driving and for my relative's house who has very destructive neighbors.

I don't know anything about them. Suggestions?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've looked at cameras for the house. I consulted with my security company. The install cost depends on where you place the DVR and how difficult it is to route the wiring. You can also opt for a self install if you can do the wiring. There are some wireless models which work via your wireless router and simplify the installation process (e.g. Linksys).

I would start by consulting with a security company even if you don't purchase their services.

As for dash cameras, I'd also be curious to know if anyone has any tips.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
imo a security camera doesn't do **** except see the silhouette of someone breaking in after the incident. I suggest wiring your relative's house with motion sensors and alarms. as for your car, are you looking for those rear view cameras? most decent car shops have them.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

imo a security camera doesn't do **** except see the silhouette of someone breaking in after the incident. I suggest wiring your relative's house with motion sensors and alarms. as for your car, are you looking for those rear view cameras? most decent car shops have them.

For my relative I was interested in finding out more about filming their neighbors destroying their property, using and selling drugs outside of their house, and loud noises meant to disturb.

For my car I was interested in one of those cameras that film what's ahead while driving.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
for your relative- there are a ton of cameras that connect to a digital video recording device and your smartphone out there. its a pretty simple set-up actually. in this case I'd sooner get an inexpensive one.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just get a few foscams off of amazon - it's easy. i put a few in the house as nanny cams - i can watch and control from any computer or from my phone.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting timing. I had my security company install these for me literally yesterday.

We put them up because within days of moving in to our new place, someone lifted some stuff from the trunk of a car left inadvertently unlocked. I know that can happen anytime anywhere, but the fact that it happened 3 days after moving in suggested someone is out pulling door handles every night in our neighborhood - which is a nice one in a rough city, and borders some sketchy areas.

The way it was described to me, while you can get cheapy cameras online (or at Sam's Club etc etc) for very little money, to truly get the resolution you need you have to spend a few bucks.

The biggest expense is the DVR though.

I'm sure there's a good DIY solution but for me it wasn't worth messing with it. This way it's all tied into my home network and with a little jerry rigging i'll be able to pull it up on smartphone, TV, internet, etc.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the camera can record decent resolution and if its focused on a trouble area like a car parked outside, back door, etc. then you can pull some decent still photos from the video. Hi res stills are very useful for the police to identify and prosecute thieves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads