• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drinking while on medication

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is down with strep and the doctor prescribed amoxicillin. The doctor then asked if I wanted a prescription as well because I had told her that my throat was beginning to feel strange. So now I'm taking amoxicillin too. Needless to say, I am wary of drinking any alcohol while on the drugs. But this is terrible...how can I go 10 days without a martini!?

I want to be clear that I'm not looking for medical advice. I'm just curious as to everyone's opinions about and experiences of taking prescription drugs with alcohol. Any interesting stories? What is your opinion?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it just makes antibiotics less effective. anything with acetaminophen in it (most painkillers) will wreck your liver. it's a hell of a lot of fun but should be largely avoided.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A doctor gave you antibiotics because you said your throat felt a little funny? Find a real doctor and not a pill pusher.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, right. She didn't even test me. If it makes it any better, my wife clearly has strep and I feel exactly as she felt 2 days ago.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why did you agree to it?
Either get tested for strep or refuse antibiotics. Each time you take an antibiotic, you risk breeding antibiotic-resistant strains, which you can then pass on to other people.

Now that you're on a penicillin, do not drink. It reduces the serum levels of certain antibiotics (unsure if amoxicillin is among them) and has nasty interactions with some others. Most importantly, if you DO actually have a strep infection, alcohol will hinder your immune response.

Take the amoxicillin exactly as prescribed and rest. Bottom line is: you don't eff around with antibiotics.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
My wife is down with strep and the doctor prescribed amoxicillin. The doctor then asked if I wanted a prescription as well because I had told her that my throat was beginning to feel strange. So now I'm taking amoxicillin too. Needless to say, I am wary of drinking any alcohol while on the drugs. But this is terrible...how can I go 10 days without a martini!?

I want to be clear that I'm not looking for medical advice. I'm just curious as to everyone's opinions about and experiences of taking prescription drugs with alcohol. Any interesting stories? What is your opinion?

I have been on amoxicillin before (ear and throat infection at the same time!) and drank. As far as I know, anti-biotics don't react badly with alcohol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads