• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drink Recommendations

Willie5566

Reaction score
I am looking for a drink recommendation for the upcoming holiday festivities. A major requirement would be a drink that would appeal to the masses (male and female). So, what are your holiday drink recs?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willie5566
I am looking for a drink recommendation for the upcoming holiday festivities. A major requirement would be a drink that would appeal to the masses (male and female). So, what are your holiday drink recs?

Dark n' Stormy.

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Dark n' Stormy.

I love dark and stormys, though for the holidays I like hot chocolate with bourbon and hot cider with bourbon.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Well it is still too early in this race but of the two drink recommended-I am favoring the Dark and Stormy. Mainly because I do not want to be making fresh hot chocolate or toting around a thermos. Do you have a particular recipe that you use slopho? I found this:

http://www.esquire.com/drinks/dark-a...y-drink-recipe

I have to admit I am not familiar with Ginger beer. Is it readily available at most stores? Is it any good by itself?

Still looking for other suggestions. Feel free to chime in on the dark and stormy as well.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dark and Stormy is a good drink, but strikes me as much more of a summer drink.

I recommend the Sidecar and the Brandy Alexander.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
French 75.
inlove.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
whiskey. bourbon or scotch, I'm not all that particular.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
The Dark and Stormy is a good drink, but strikes me as much more of a summer drink.

I recommend the Sidecar and the Brandy Alexander.

Looks like some good candidates.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
French 75.
inlove.gif

Looks good as well. Is it a good winter drink. With the lemon juice it strikes me as a summer drink. Do you have a recipe that you prefer for this? I have seen recipes that use cognac or gin.

Originally Posted by Thomas

The ladies sure do love the scotch!
facepalm.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Looks good as well. Is it a good winter drink. With the lemon juice it strikes me as a summer drink. Do you have a recipe that you prefer for this? I have seen recipes that use cognac or gin.
I don't have a recipe. I don't make drinks for myself, I just order them when I go to bars. At home it's just wine or beer for me. I don't think just the addition of lemon juice makes it a summer drink, although I imagine others feel differently. I order it year round.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lemon, gin, cointreau, champagne... I have a recipe at home.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
On Saturday I had a French 75 that was made with St. Germain. It was lovely.

I lvoe the viscosity of St Germaine. My wife made a punch the other night for our party that was excellent. Lemon juice, cammomille tea, gin, st germain, and champagne.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

The ladies sure do love the scotch!
facepalm.gif

Two good cocktails you can make with whiskey: John Collins (Tom Collins with bourbon substituted for gin), Blood and Sand

Willie5566

Reaction score
Ok so it turns out that you guys are two things-

1. Drink connoisseurs-Suggesting classic drinks that average bartenders are not familiar with. Went to a restaurant last night, nothing fancy, and ordered a sidecar. Bartender did not know how to make one. So I gave her a recipe I found online.

2. Alcoholics-The sidecar was pretty good but probably too much for novice drinkers. My wife chose the Brandy Alexander for Christmas. I went out and bought everything today. I came home and made one to see how it was. It is no joke. Personally I like it but I can also stomach drinking scotch neat. By comparison the Brandy Alexander is far easier to drink. I am skeptical that casual drinkers will like it. I am gong to make one for the wife tonight and see what she thinks. That will be the true test. My guess is it will bee a little much for her. My advice is you all get help!

All kidding aside-I do appreciate the recommendations. Keep them coming! I see others are interested in holiday drinks as well, so it appears this thread is timely. I am considering the French 75 for New Years but am looking forward to some more suggestions.

Thanks again to all.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^Dude, if you're worried about ordering "serious" cocktails for fear of alcohol content, then stuff like French 75 or Kir Royale are perfect, because they are basically just champagne + flavoring agents. But yeah, your average bartender isn't going to know what a sidecar is, which is sad, but a true statement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics