+ DRIES VAN NOTEN +

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Ariiam

Ariiam Senior member

Not you specifically :p

I kinda like the 1st and 3rd shirt you posted though ;o

2. LelandJ

LelandJ Senior member

What e-shop is this at? Thinking about pairing with the Pecora blazer I bought today.

3. Ariiam

Ariiam Senior member

Luisaviaroma and Thecorner has a decent selection, Barney's is pretty good.

Or call het mode

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I think spring 2010 may always be my favorite, though last spring was up there as well. The stuff I do really like this season are the Ts and shorts. There's a pair of black washed out cotton sweat shorts at IF Boutique in NYC that I would easily wear all summer, and all the Ts and tanks I've seen are great. The material/printing/cuts are very nice. I kinda want all of them.

The fall 2005 zip boots I mentioned that I just got are a little surprising. Because of the width of the boot and weight of the sole they look more like Ann or Rick than what I would expect of Dries. They're gorgeous boots (leather is super nice) and I'm really happy with them, but they're definitely heavier looking than I thought they'd be.

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dries keeps getting better imo. His earlier stuff -- late 90s and early 00s-- felt a bit like he was in-line with current trends. I feel like the more recent collections (2005 and on) have been more original -- and maybe more thematically focused (though he did stuff like the Clockwork Orange collection earlier). This is either good or not so good if you're not sold on the theme. This current spring collection "Hawaiian Gothic (?)" won't be everyone's cup of tea. But, if you like dark florals and/or ornate brocade, it's pretty damn nice.

speaking of SS2010, I have the show lookbook in my office and will take some photos. obv the runway shots we've all seen, but there are a few more nice images in it. it's also combined men's/women's book. That collection was a tour de force of tribal pattern combining. I think it might be the one that LAGuy referenced as "gypsy", though I get more of a euro-playboy-on-holiday-in-Bangalore vibe.

6. pickpackpockpuck

I agree that he just keeps getting better. Conceptually the collections are getting weirder, mashing up really disparate influences, but at the same time they feel more focused. This fall's rave-meets-Renaissance is the perfect example and imo one of the best things he's ever done. On paper it sounds crazy, and yet it worked. You have weird neon bombers paired with ruffled collars and somehow it looks right. Another collection I loved was the women's Kurt Cobain season, spring 2013 if I remember right. The plaids were made super feminine and beautiful and yet it still looked like Kurt Cobain (the sunglasses he did helped with that.)

I also think the garments themselves are getting better from a product standpoint. This past fall was another collection that on the runway I wasn't totally in love with, but up close everything looked and felt great, even the stuff I wasn't personally into. The embroidery and fabrics were outstanding. And yet somehow the prices were still good (compare with Ann D, who built her business over the same period, was not doing stuff that was qualitatively better, but still had pricing that was like 50% higher or more at times).

7. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

^ interesting, I disliked most of the fall 2014 collection but am in love with this season's.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. pickpackpockpuck

Outside BarneysNY this morning (not my pic unfortunately)

[​IMG]

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

auld skool wmns

AW1995

[​IMG]
    AW1999

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    AW2000

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    AW2001

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    SS2002

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  10. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

11. pickpackpockpuck

a friend of mine really didn't like fall 2014 either. he asked me a very good question: how much of it would I actually wear? there's plenty of it that I wouldn't wear when it comes down to it, but I thought it just looked really cool (very deep, I know), and then when I looked into it more conceptually and started checking out the details I thought it was such a great idea. as clothing for day-to-day wear...I dunno. maybe when I see it in person I won't even like it. but as a runway show (deliberate emphasis on show) I thought it was awesome.

think I'm going to buy the new book about Dries actually once it's out: http://www.amazon.com/Dries-Van-Not...id=1395760877&sr=8-1&keywords=dries+van+noten

12. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Oh. That maybe explains it. I was looking through it for anything I'd actually want to buy and didn't come up with much.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My wife had this sweater, actually the bell sleeve version, which is worn through at the wrist where she wears her watch. The color is a beautiful burnt orange, and the knit is beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    Past season stuff has a sort of draw that brand new clothing rarely has.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  14. LelandJ

LelandJ Senior member

Had no idea he did a hippie line, looks good too.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  15. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

Please don't quote such a large amount of pictures without using spoilers