+ DRIES VAN NOTEN +

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

The suit jackets are cut really tight across the chest, it's a nightmare

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sadly a lot of Dries is cut for Thin White Dukes

3. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Discovering that myself. :(

4. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

Hm... I thought all the Dries pieces that I've tried fit more relaxed than the others brands that I usually wear... I bought a suit a few months ago and I almost returned it bc of slightly roped shoulders and jacket was not slim enough in the waist (I decided against it and I love the suit now that I've gotten used to it). The camo shirt I recently purchased fit pretty loose as well. It's all relative I suppose :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  5. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Sizing might be inconsistent. All of the 3-4 DVN suit jackets I've tried from the last two seasons were tight so I just size up now when ordering online.

6. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I've also found the blazers snug in the chest, enough that I could size up. With pants in most other brands I'm a 46 or 48 in the waist, but with Dries I'm a definite 48. Shirts are very different though. They're often cut a bit large, in my experience. I think it's all deliberate based on the way something is intended to fit. Like this shirt isn't really supposed to fit slim, I'm guessing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Had my first look in person at the new fall stuff. I'm really blown away by it. I think he managed to put something crazy and super conceptual down the runway and at the same time lots of the individual pieces are pretty commercial. There are some exceptions, but there was plenty on the rack that was easy to wear, like knits and shirts. FW14 and SS15 might be my favorite ever back-to-back collections from him.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  7. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

Dead excited to check out the new collection when het modepaleis gets it in, though I've a hunch it won't be a collection I will buy much from

8. Parker

I think he makes a lot of different patterns -- some roomy, some slim and sometimes both within the same season. especially noticeable with the tailored outerwear, some coats really oversized with dropped shoulders and others with super narrow, roped shoulders and a slim/clean chest. I think there are some perennial styles he makes each season, like a slim single breasted suit, which is almost a full size smaller than my usual size. I have about a half dozen Dries suits or blazers from different seasons and they are kind of all over the place. Some 46s that fit me fine or are even a bit large, and other 48s that are tight. Same with trousers. One thing that I've noticed though is he likes to make very roomy sleeves, even on the slim cuts.

9. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Did you hit up mac? Anything there still worth a trip?

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Non-staple suits, some floral shirting and some separates (seersucker double breasted). One or two knit items left in smaller sizes. A few EG items left (none in my sizes). It was 50% off and 20% off sale items at the register.

11. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Yeah, I think you're right about the variety of patterns.

What I saw up close wasn't that techy. The coat below was pretty techy, as you'd probably imagine, but the tie-dye pants here are actually denim and the straps are like canvas. The shirting was typical Dries cotton. Mostly like tech accents.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

anyone know if this is anywhere? [​IMG] i'm in sf if it helps.

13. Parker

I think the SF Barneys had that at the beginning of the season. Not sure what they have left of S/S, but it might be worth a visit -- or give them a call.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  14. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Got my first shirt from Dries after admiring his work for a while. I love the fit and pattern on it. Does anyone know anything about the fabrics he uses? I've heard that the fabrics are really the basis for his work and that he expends a lot of effort into selecting them, but the fabric on this one seems usually thin and delicate.

15. Parker

Barneys FW14 is up.