• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressy sneakers, if such a thing exists

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've backpacked with casual Keens before, and they're great for tons of walking and skirting no-sneakers rules. But I wouldn't go running in them. (Learn to run barefoot, and maybe cram some fivefingers in your bag?)

Aldo has some fairly comfortable, nice looking sneakers. Though I've never done extensive walking in them.

Last edited:

martinottawa

Reaction score
Quote: Good point about skate shoes - I walk around all day in them on the weekends, but they're not the greatest for long distances, especially if you're carrying a backpack. As for outdoor shoes, this should give you an idea - on this page, i think the scarpa mojito and manhattan, as well as the Keen Arcata and Coronado are pretty nice- http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/OutdoorLifestyle/Mens.jsp. Even though a rubber soled leather shoe may sound heavy, they are actually great for walking long distances. I have a pair of Rockports that look like this, and love them for travelling: (this one is called the "Wanigan")

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dressy sneakers: do a search on Jil Sander, Bruno Magli, Bally, Tods and Ferragamo sneakers

albeindc

Reaction score
you could get some black diesels

Or if you want to ball out, get some Prada - i heard they're actually comfortable. Mario Batali wears some Pradas in his kitchens all the time.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This reply will get zero love on StyleForum, but given what you are trying to do, I honestly recommend something like Rockports.

SS11_M_K55930_ALFREW_MAIN.PNG

They have some that are even more walker-friendly, though the styles are even clunkier than this one.

Everybody on SF will laugh at you. You may even feel uncomfortable in them from a style standpoint. But they will be comfortable to walk in, and 99.99% of the population will think you look just fine if you walk into a pricey restaurant with those, a pair of khakis, and a button-up shirt.

dgsdm

Reaction score
Check out Clae, they are dress shoe/sneaker hybrids. www.clae.com

They also have them at zappos I think.

sturm07

Reaction score
Frye are good. They make quality and durable bootst but, I have never buy any regular shoes from them so, can't really tell if they are worth the price. I would recommend Puma Mihara, Y-3 or DSquared sneakers.

grit

Reaction score

Age is 20, and I will be in mostly temperate climates but also some colder places (northern Europe).

From someone who has lived in Scandinavia: are you concerned about rain/snow/ice? Walking around in wet sneakers is no fun for anyone. I'm thinking Danner boots or some other hiking boot might be a better option? They can be found for around $200 on sale. Depends on the range of temperatures you'll be dealing with.

johanm

Reaction score
Consider Lanvin sneakers. They're a bit more dressy than the other "baller" streetwear brands. The ones without suede should be fairly durable.

HughJ

Reaction score

Aldo has some fairly comfortable, nice looking sneakers. Though I've never done extensive walking in them.

Liar.

I'd suggest a larger backpack to the OP.

SpiffEngineer

Reaction score
I suggest that you pack Alden all weather walkers, plus Vibram fivefingers for running... but that's just my 2 cents.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, and, btw, listen to noone who recommends leather-soled dress shoes.

You will come to hate yourself, and them, and your feet, before long.

Take it from someone who's been through this same experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads