Dressy sneakers, if such a thing exists

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sailawayforever, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sailawayforever

sailawayforever New Member

Hey,

I'm going to be traveling for about a year or more, and unfortunately can't carry more than one pair of shoes—that is, I only have space on my feet to wear them, since there's no space in my backpack.

I'm looking for a pair of sneakers that is somewhat dressy, or at least looks more stylish on the street than some regular set of sneakers.

• I want to be able to walk around for a while in them, so they have to be comfortable and somewhat durable.
    • I want to be able to look pretty good while wearing them, so they can't be just a regular old pair o' Nikes.

Does such a mythical thing exist?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. bafe

bafe Well-Known Member

I know that's not what you want to hear, but why don't you just wear a comfortable pair of loafers? For sure they look dressier than any sneaker.

3. monci

monci Member

The Puma "El Reys" aren't too bad!

4. bafe

bafe Well-Known Member

In general, I've alwys found puma's sneakers dressier than other brands.

5. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

No.

6. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

Don't know what climate you'll be in (or your age, clothing choices, etc) but I'd rock some boat shoes or clean-lined low top sneakers -adidas samba, converse, GATs, superga, purcell, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Your sneakers will never be dressy. With that being said you are apparently backpacking for a year, in that case you absolutely need sneakers and merely want something that looks good. You can get some very basic one that will deliver like White/white Adidas Stan Smiths or something more luxurious like Common project or Margiela german army trainers in all white. Whatever you do don't wear loafers, boat shoes or dress-sneaker hybrids ever, they look like shit.

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

If you're going away for a year, I'd suggest that you stay away from white. You'll end up with some pretty dirty shoes pretty quick. Like everyone else has said, you're not going to find "dressy" sneakers, so you may as well find some that aren't too offensive and that will hold up awhile. You're likely to have to buy another pair or two along the way. Which part of the world are you travelling?

9. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Agreed. What's your budget? May I suggest something like a clarks desert boot in beeswax? Or, if you want to spend, how about an Alden Indy Boot? Hard to beat them for comfort and durability.

10. martinottawa

martinottawa Member

What about a pair of skate shoes (Vans, DVS, Emerica, Etnies, etc) in a conservative colour like navy, brown or grey? Maybe something like this?
    http://www.zappos.com/etnies-jameson-2-eco-navy-gum

Some of the outdoor-product companies also make interesting sneaker-type shoes - see Scarpa, Keen, Merrell, Patagonia, etc.

Alternatively, you could get something other than sneakers, a leather shoe with a thick rubber sole (like Doc Martens, Rockports, Clarks, Mephisto, etc). They may be ugly (and I hope I don't get kicked off SF for mentioning those names), but they are comfortable as hell for travelling / walking around all day, and you can go into bars that have "no sneakers" rules.

11. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I'd go with CP Achilles in black or Dior GATs. Both run a bit large so try on if you can before ordering. Anyway, both will be more of a baller, dressier sneaker yet will hold up well with a lot of walking.

you might have more luck in the SW&D section.

12. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

+1000

You are going to live for a year out of a backpack. You are going to wear the same pair of shoes every day. Forget about "dressy sneakers." Regardless of what you wear, they are going to look like crap in short order. The only thing you should be worried about is durability.

BTW anything described as "dressy," by definition, isn't.

13. sailawayforever

Hmm, loafers might work, and they are certainly much dressier than any sneaker out there, but if I had to optimize for either walkability or style, I'd have to pick walkability. I don't think I'll be able to comfortably walk in loafers for a long distance. Thank you, though.

Wow, they do look pretty good! I'll have to consider those for sure. Thanks!

Thanks for that list—the GATs seem pretty great and I'll have to do some research on the rest—and sorry for the lack of detail. Age is 20, and I will be in mostly temperate climates but also some colder places (northern Europe).

I'm currently wearing Sperry boat shoes as in your first picture, actually. They are good, but not great for walking long distances. Thanks!

How walkable are skate shoes? I've never worn them, but are they comfortable for walking more than 5 miles a day?

As for outdoor-product companies, good call, I didn't think about looking at them. Thanks for that, I'll check them out in addition to folks like Tom Bihn and REI — I'm not expecting great style from them, but I think at least one of them has to have a functional sneaker that looks decent.

Interesting re: leather shoe with rubber sole. I didn't expect those to be comfortable since they sound heavy; do you have any specific suggestions under those brands that I should take a look at that are especially good for walking? Thank you, by the way.

CP Achilles looks like a classic street-wear sneaker. Great style. Might post in SW&D, but is reposting in there frowned upon? I agree, though, it might have been a better idea to post in there in the first place.

14. sailawayforever

Rats.

Yes, exactly like you mentioned: given the choice of either optimizing for walkability or style, I'd pick walkability; so, I want a functional (read: comfortable) sneaker that doesn't look like the crap that everyone wears. CP Achilles look pretty awesome, but are pretty expensive for sneakers (but I'll still consider them.) The MMM GATs look pretty great; do any physical stores carry them in the US, do you know?

And yeah, I'm not looking to wear loafers/boat shoes and the like.

Good call on staying away from white; I'm probably going to be walking in some dirty places so I'm going to probably choose black or brown. I'm going to be travelling pretty much around the world, at least to every continent.

Budget is somewhere under $300. Clarks Desert Boot looks pretty good, but obviously are boots, not sneakers—should I expect the same level of comfort? Would they hold up to a little bit of running?

Ha — I guess I'm not so fancy, since I wear pretty much the same thing every day in my home city. But yes: I am worried about durability. However, I think there's some durable sneakers or shoes out there that will be functional (walkable/comfortable) but still not look too awful, and that's what I'm looking for.

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

[​IMG]