• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressy paddock boots

mg428

Reaction score

mg428

Reaction score
Well, on the one hand, paddock boots are traditionally a variation of horse riding boots, which gives the sense of being casual; on the other hand they are mostly captoe boots, which gives the sense of being dressy.

I am just trying to find out whether there is any "No No"s with respect to paddock boots.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
post pics of yourself with the outfit and the pics. i think it'll be easier for us to give an opinion that way. i am guessing the suit pants you would wear with those pants would probably cover a good portion of their length, which to me, cancels out the "horse-riding," look. on the other hand, if you are wearing those boots with jeans (after all, you said you wanted something casual also) we're likely to see it's full length.. which could make the "horse-riding," look more evident. that still wouldnt necessarily mean it was a bad thing, because you also factor in the pants, shirt, jacket, etc.

all that aside i'm generally not a fan of shoes with high ankle-tops.

mg428

Reaction score
Thank you for your contributions.

I have not bought the shoes yet and unfortunately, since I am currently located outside of the U.S., I don't have the opportunity to buy and try on first.

But as you said, these boots are quite OK with both dressy and casual attires.

I just wanted to see whether there are certain "no no"s regatrding these type of boots, and it seems there are not.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
IMO, they're both fine with suits. I'll be picking up the BF pebble grain boot on the 26th and will wear it with suits.

Have you seen the brown version of the BF pebble grain paddock boots? Since they don't have a picture on the BB website, I am trying to find out whether they are dark or light brown or something in the middle.

Also, do you know whether these shoes are manufactured by C&J or by AS? What is the last number? I think they are C&J and the other shades of brown of C&J other than dark brown are quite light IMO.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
Have you seen the brown version of the BF pebble grain paddock boots? Since they don't have a picture on the BB website, I am trying to find out whether they are dark or light brown or something in the middle.

Also, do you know whether these shoes are manufactured by C&J or by AS? What is the last number? I think they are C&J and the other shades of brown of C&J other than dark brown are quite light IMO.

I've seen the boots and they're dark brown and very well made. I think they're made by C&J, but can't say for sure.

mg428

Reaction score
I've seen the boots and they're dark brown and very well made. I think they're made by C&J, but can't say for sure.

OK. Perfect! Thanks!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
OK. Perfect! Thanks!
The price starting tomorrow will be $340.00 for a regularly $800 boot. Nice!

Last year the shoes were only 25% off with an additional 15%. It's turned out to be a good year for purchases.

mg428

Reaction score
....which makes me consider buying both colors! OMG I need to curb myself!

If the shoes do exist in a store, then you will definetely get the 15% off.

I doubt I will get it via an online order as the size I require for these boots is currently backordered. Generally companies tend to not grant their "X % off" promotions to out-of-stock items, though I did not read anything in the 15% off e-mail I received from BB stating that backordered items are excluded. I will see it tomorrow. BB charges for shipping for its grand X-sale, well, whatever...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't choose either of those to wear with suits. The detailing is very casual. They would look good with more casual trousers and sportcoats but are not ideal with suits. If you are buying new I would keep shopping. Look on pediwear.

mg428

Reaction score
The price starting tomorrow will be $340.00 for a regularly $800 boot. Nice!

Last year the shoes were only 25% off with an additional 15%. It's turned out to be a good year for purchases.

With that original price tag, I guess we are talking about a hangrade C&J. And from my own experience the pebble grain shoes of C&J have a quite natural look and feel.

JayJay, have you ever tried on these boots? How do you find its fit? Does it run big or small? How about the width?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Paddock boots are not riding boots. They're for chores in the paddock involving stepping in mud and horseshit.

A storm-welted paddock boot, particularly a derby boot, and most particularly with hook eyelets, is a work or country boot, and not something that goes with a town suit. It might be okay with tweed, or if you are dressing ironically or untraditionally. Boots of the type to which you linked in black are also a bit oxymoronic.

I often break "the rules," but I would never go as far as to wear those boots with any suit.

If you want dress boots, get dress boots.

- B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not educated enough to break down the history like vox, but I agree with him and A Harris that these are a bit too clunky for a suit. I think you could wear it and 99% of the population wouldn't see anything wrong with it, but if that's the bar, well, then maybe we should invite Cruiser on over to SF.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads