• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressy Jeans

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of jeans I could wear with a nice monkstrap or other dress shoes.

The slim/skinny fit does not appeal to me and the straight legs sometimes are too baggy up top. I'd really like to find something slim in the hips with a very slight boot cut at the bottom (no bell bottom look like all other bootcut jeans) with a dark wash and no gaudy designs on the pockets.

The Earnest Sewn jeans look good as well as some of the AG jeans I have ran into. The problem is I do not make alot of money and can't justify spending $200+ on a pair of jeans.

Anyone have any suggestions.

BTW I live in St. Louis and there are no Nordstrom Rack's or Off Fifth Ave's around.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5EP LDB is the closest I can think of.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail

Obv. not in his price range at retail. Earnest Sewns can regularly be found with heavy discounts though, especially if you don't need raw. That being said, I think that with dress shoes, you should reconsider straight leg jeans. They look better with bootcut as long as they aren't too narrow, and there is a much wider selection available.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
I found a pair of Earnest Sewn Fultons on Ebay for a good price.

How much of a bootcut are those? The inseam is a 33 and I'll have to get them down to a 29.5 or so. If too much of a flare I cannot keep the original hem taking up the inseam that much. Anyone who has short legs and bought a pair of bootcuts hoping to keep the original hem found this out like I did.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fultons are straight leg, I think. Hutch is bootcut. Watch out buying ES on ebay.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
You are right Fultons are straight leg.

I just dont want a tapered leg at the bottom with regards to straight or slim fits. I am 5-8 170 and always felt odd wearing anything other than boot cuts. Here lately I have started wearing Gap Easy Fits for work and they have a straight leg that I am comfortable with, just not the quality I would like to wear outside of work.

iLLmAtiCiAn

Reaction score
acne mid rigid

if you're a size 30 waist, there was someone selling a pair of size 30's on superfuture for 100 shipped

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You guys realize Mic Rigid is a slim straight cut, right?

Originally Posted by redgrail

Originally Posted by dusty
Obv. not in his price range at retail.

The non-selvedge ones can be had for $150 or thereabout.

iLLmAtiCiAn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ You guys realize Mic Rigid is a slim straight cut, right?

The non-selvedge ones can be had for $150 or thereabout.

Yes, but honestly I think straight leg works fine as a dressed up jean, especially the acne mics.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Are the Acne Mics' low rise? Low rise would be a bad idea as I will be tucking my shirts in and I have short legs.

short legs + low rise = look shorter

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mics have a pretty low rise. They're also on the slim side. It's my favorite dressy jean, but I don't think it would work for your needs. I stand by my recommendation for 5EP LDB. It's not the dressiest jean, but if you're looking for something with a slight bootcut, this is it. Non-selvage can be had inexpensively, as has been mentioned.

ozonemania

Reaction score
I have a pair RB15 that works well as a dressy jean. Straight leg slim, minimal stacking. I'd stay away from bootcuts for dressy jeans though, as a dressier look calls for it to be shaped more like a trouser. Trousers don't flare.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
www.bluebee.com is doing 80% off its remaining sale items. Not sure if there's anything left in a normal person size, but worth a look. Also, consider the Corpus Fine 80, on sale at www.revolveclothing.com at well under $75 once you locate a discount code. These are pretty great jeans for the money. Lastly, if you really like Earnest Sewn, check out www.bluefly.com, as they will regularly have these at significant discoutns.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Obv. not in his price range at retail.

If he doesn't care about selvage, there's always the blue thread ones, which cost about half of what the red thread ones did. I think only Dress Codes and Bloomingdales had them, and I have no idea which if either still stock them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads