• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressy-ish but warm socks for winter

birdlives80

Reaction score
Any recommendations? Especially in loafers, it’s too ******* cold to wear regular wool dress socks. @dieworkwear wrote about American trench, their color selection is limited. I am a trial lawyer and wear a lot of loafers, but I can get away with texture and color even if a little more casual looking.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had decent luck with some of the smartwool socks when it gets super cold in the upper Midwest. Some of their lighter weight ski socks (I think the PhD line?) are fairly discrete and don’t have a ton of pattern.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I think of socks you can wear with loafers, assuming you mean the kind you might buy at a shop such as Alden, I only think of dress socks. If you get something too thick, your feet won't fit into the shoes.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
It does seem rather silly to insist on loafers if it's so cold your toesies are freezing off.

If you are wearing proper winter lcae-ups, thin wool socks are certainyl warnmer than lisle cotton, cet par on dressiness.

birdlives80

Reaction score
It does seem rather silly to insist on loafers if it's so cold your toesies are freezing off.

If you are wearing proper winter lcae-ups, thin wool socks are certainyl warnmer than lisle cotton, cet par on dressiness.

I only meant to say I don’t mind if the recommendation is for a more rustic/casual looking sock that could be seen while wearing loafers. I also wear oxfords plenty and my feet are still cold. Poor circulation, and the courthouse is not well heated. I wear the loafers a lot in winter because I bring them in my bag and change into them from winter boots at the courthouse.
As for thickness, I do mostly wear alden loafers but they have enough give/I’ll sacrifice a little tightness for warmth.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I only meant to say I don’t mind if the recommendation is for a more rustic/casual looking sock that could be seen while wearing loafers. I also wear oxfords plenty and my feet are still cold. Poor circulation, and the courthouse is not well heated. I wear the loafers a lot in winter because I bring them in my bag and change into them from winter boots at the courthouse.
As for thickness, I do mostly wear alden loafers but they have enough give/I’ll sacrifice a little tightness for warmth.

If you can find pile socks -- socks made with a sandwich terry cushion foot -- I find those to be very warm. I just don't know if they'll fit into loafers. Basically, the bottom of the foot, on the inside of the sock, is made with a pile weave, sort of like what you might find inside some terrycloth sweatshirts. This helps trap heat.

But doing so also makes the socks thicker. I only wear them with boots and casual shoes. I don't know how well they'd do in loafers.

Here's an American Trench video about it. I've also found this style at Uniqlo. Uniqlo's are made with a compression band, which holds the sock even closer to the foot. I find my Uniqlo pile socks to wear very warm -- too warm on normal fall days -- but I don't know if that's because of the compression band. Maybe the American Trench ones are a good balance.

Substanceoverstyle

Reaction score
I think they only sell in the EU, but Falke's Teppich im Schuh socks (also in an OTC version) are really great for this. Thick merino and enforced cushion footbeds. I wear them with loafers, the same loafers I wear cotton-linen socks with in summer, no issues in my personal experience with fit.

AX2007

Reaction score
I’ve had decent luck with some of the smartwool socks when it gets super cold in the upper Midwest. Some of their lighter weight ski socks (I think the PhD line?) are fairly discrete and don’t have a ton of pattern.

I have SmartWool socks that they call light hike or some such thing and I’ve really liked them. They are thick enough to fit in normal boots/ shoes and are warm in mostly cool temperatures. But, I have only ever seen them in solid colors: black, brown, blue, etc. I have found they last about two years with heavy use, my experience is they thin out in the section right above the heel after a while.

I am also interested in warmer socks that aren’t hiking socks, specifically in wool. I know Wigwam makes a few pairs that look good but I’m not sure about their quality. Does anyone have any experience with them?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am also interested in warmer socks that aren’t hiking socks, specifically in wool. I know Wigwam makes a few pairs that look good but I’m not sure about their quality. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I have a couple of pairs of Wigwam Cypress socks. They're good, although they're also cotton, so probably not the sort of warm socks people in this thread are looking for. Maybe the line has something in wool ...

ran23

Reaction score
been thinking about Uniqlo socks, will give them a try.

KT88

Reaction score
Mack Walden has wonderfully warm, padded sole, over-the-calf everyday extended crews and dress socks in a ton of colors, stripes, etc.. Some are appropriately conservative and I wear them with Alden Cordovan brogues and V-tips. Cotton w/spandex and a comfort footbed. Not affilated in any way .. just love their socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads