• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing your age: Is it important?

Is it important to dress your age?

• Yes, you want to try hard not to look like you tried too hard

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • No, **** what anybody else thinks and do whatever makes you happy.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 15 34.9%

• Total voters

kayhill

Reaction score
Hi all,

I read through a few posts today that made me think about whether you should dress in a way that is age-appropriate. For example, whenever I wear chinos with a shirt tucked in and a different coloured blazer, I inevitably look like a bit of an old man (I'm in my mid-to-late twenties).

So as I do, I blogged about it: http://greedanddisgust.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/dressing-your-age.html

Not sitting on the fence with this one: I reckon it is important to dress your age. Having said that, I would be interested to read your thoughts on the matter.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling I know who inspired this...

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Quote:
Skip about 3-4 pages back in the WAYWRN: MC Casual Style thread. There were about 5 pages of discussion of Banana Republic lookbook outfits

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Skip about 3-4 pages back in the WAYWRN: MC Casual Style thread. There were about 5 pages of discussion of Banana Republic lookbook outfits
That sounds about as exciting as a root canal with no anesthesia.

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Quote:
Actually, I think that part of the thread is what they use for anesthesia these days. Its pretty terrible, and has very little entertainment value, just like the blog post linked above (sorry OP).

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
You little blog entry is very much about dressing your social class, with a focus on old money. Going with that I think you should wear the prisoner uniform of your mongrel ancestors.

Man of Wealth and Taste

Reaction score
No way man, you're only as old as you dress!

kayhill

Reaction score
I have a feeling I know who inspired this...

Haha, it certainly got me thinking why someone had such a strong response -- in many ways unfair and unwarranted.

But what was interesting to me was the reason why someone might have that sort of reaction. Really, had it been a picture of a guy in a suit I doubt anyone would have criticised it. That's not to say dressing in a certain way is wrong though!

And please don't take this the wrong way. I dress like that all the time ... and people have called me various things ranging from 'old man' to 'flight attendant' to 'retail assistant'. : (

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is such a thing as dressing your age. For me, there are three main axis: Casual versus formal, and good versus bad.

I dress well, and usually a step or two above most these days in formality (excluding formal environments, which I'm in reasonably often). It doesn't make me look older. It makes me look more mature and more consequential. I still come across as a twenty something. But I come off as a young adult that's going places, rather than just another immature douchebag.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sitting on the fence with this one: I reckon it is important to dress your age. Having said that, I would be interested to read your thoughts on the matter.

To me it factors a lot more into casual wear than formal - formal changing a lot less with age.

3wgg

Reaction score
It's important to me to make an effort to dress my age as that's how I feel most comfortable. I would never think less of someone who chooses not to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads