• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing up

alchimiste

Reaction score
It is often argued that when in doubt it is better to dress up. Do you agree with this or do you this that overdressing may be a faux pas? Note: I am not referring to dressing wrong like wearing a tuxedo or tails in the afternoon. I mean wearing a suit on a rather casual occasion or something along this line. Mathieu

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I prefer to dress appropriately. But, I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed.

johnw86

Reaction score
Yup. Better over than under. (Unless you're changing the oil in your car--and I don't mean taking it to the oil change place.)

alchimiste

Reaction score
It seems that until the 19th century overdressing was rather nouveau riche: I have the money to buy the clothes but I don't know how/when to wear them. On the other hand, things may be less well defined nowadays and it may be harder to know what is appropriate. A few weeks back I attended a conference where you could see anything from (purple) sweatpants to jeans, casual pants, odd jackets and suits. i don't know who was overdressed and who was underdressed since there was no clear standard. Should better taste and higher interest in clothes than your coworkers be considered overdressing (my work place is casual, even the director may not wear long sleeve shirts)? Mathieu

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMHO always err, as PM and J86 noted, on the over-dressed side. If one is going to be "inappropriately" dressed, why not at least feel good about it?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
It is probably always safe - but IMHO sometimes being creatively underdressed can be more fun.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It strikes me that it is often easier to take the dress down a notch if necessary (e.g., removing a tie and jacket) than to dress up in a hurry. Also, if I want to leave a social event and go on to a potentially more dressier locale, I can more easily if I had dressed up initially. Accordingly, I tend to over-dress.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking off your jacket and tie and unbuttoning your collar is a lot easier than figuring out how to fix shorts and a tee shirt in a room full of folks who are in suits.

Worst case, if you are in a suit and everyone else is in shorts/tees you can always proudly exclaim: "Not guilty. They found me not guilty."

...I'd avoid that with the in-laws though

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Taking off your jacket and tie and unbuttoning your collar is a lot easier than figuring out how to fix shorts and a tee shirt in a room full of folks who are in suits.

Worst case, if you are in a suit and everyone else is in shorts/tees you can always proudly exclaim:  "Not guilty.  They found me not guilty."

...I'd avoid that with the in-laws though
Doesn't matter what you wear to the in-laws - you'll always be that guy that stole their baby daughter away.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I would rather be underdressed to be honest, because I'm irreverent and like to show it.

newyorker

Reaction score
Perhaps slightly off topic, but I would suggest exuding tons of confidence and indifference when one is overdressed or underdressed. Unless others are clearly offended, do not apologize.

However, note that this does not mean I think it's OK to turn up at a funeral in jeans.

colin

Reaction score
no that's a good point. Just to add to that, whenever you feel inappropriately dressed or feel out of place in clothes slam a few beers, and put some water in your hair like you've been sweating.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was invited to an "appreciation" dinner hosted by a local civic minded group along with other area clergy types. There was no dress guidance given on the invitation, but it was an appreciation dinner, in the evening and with an invited guest speaker. I wore a suit, tie and cufflinks. If I recall, the speaker (a local tv personality) may have had on a tie. Other than that I was the only one who did. I was a little self-conscious for the evening, and clearly stood out. I probably should have gone with a blazer rather than a suit, but I don't really regret dressing up. The invitation should have said casual attire (or cookout attire.). The danger is coming across as arrogant and stand-offish, which isn't a good vibe to give off. I probably should have known to tone it down a bit I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads