Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

"Dressing up" without jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mikeman, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Going out with some friends,and Im suppose to "dress up". Which means no tshirts ( sad, I know). Now I don't own a blazer, so thats out. Im thinking some dark jeans, a nice shirt and a tie, with some wingtips. Just wondering if you guys have some pics that fit the description. Just so I can get some ideas. Thanks in advance.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Ooooo be careful here. Tie without a jacket is like a mortal sin to some folks around here.

3. AlmostFullBenefits

AlmostFullBenefits Senior member

Ditch the jeans, go with a decent pair of wool pants. If you don't have any, try some corduroy pants that aren't too baggy. Then, I would suggest putting a sweater over the collared shirt, forget the tie, leave the top button undone, and wear a dress-casual jacket (e.g., a peacoat) over that. Jeans + wingtips in my opinion is like putting venetian marble flooring inside a Kmart.

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Tie + no jacket = subway manager.

5. acecow

acecow Senior member

Ooooo be careful here. Tie without a jacket is like a mortal sin to some folks around here.

Yes, it does usually look like you just getting back from work at Best Buy. Throw on a sweater or a cardigan and it will be a million times better.

6. Bravo340

Bravo340 Active Member

I don't mean to derail this thread from OP's question, but:

For those that say tie without sportcoat is bad, what would you do if in your town from March through November it is 80 degrees or more (actually, usually 95 or more and for June, July, and August it's 105 or more)? I'm in Las Vegas. People in Arizona can relate as well.

7. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

/\\ Wear an unlined sportcoat.

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I don't mean to derail this thread from OP's question, but:

For those that say tie without sportcoat is bad, what would you do if in your town from March through November it is 80 degrees or more (actually, usually 95 or more and for June, July, and August it's 105 or more)? I'm in Las Vegas. People in Arizona can relate as well.

Linen or cotton suit. Or... just don't wear a tie.

9. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

Yes, it does usually look like you just getting back from work at Best Buy. Throw on a sweater or a cardigan and it will be a million times better.

+1. This would be the only other way to wear a tie and not look ridiculous...

10. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Sounds good guys. Now yet another question. Is it okay to wear a light gray sweater with brown shoes/belt. I never know the basic rules

11. acecow

acecow Senior member

Sounds good guys. Now yet another question. Is it okay to wear a light gray sweater with brown shoes/belt. I never know the basic rules

Gray with brown is very good. The only color that I don't wear with brown is black.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Gray with brown shoes is a good combo.

13. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Awesome, thanks for the help. Finally. With the dark denim, gray sweater,and brown belt/shoes. What would a great tie shirt combo be? Some sort of white/blue shirt with a blue stripe tie?