• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dressing up, when did it all go wrong?

waterpig

Reaction score
"The shoes I'm wearing are crocodile loafers by A. Testoni. Grabbing my raincoat out of the closet in the entranceway, I find a Burberry scarf and matching coat with a whale embroidered on it (something a little kid might wear) and its covered with what looks like dried chocolate syrup crisscrossed over the front, darkening the lapels. I take the elevator downstairs to the lobby, rewinding my Rolex by gently shaking my wrist. I say good morning to the doorman, step outside and hail a cab, heading downtown toward Wall Street."

"Harry Price and I walk down Hanover Street in the darkest moments of twilight and, as if guided by radar, move silently toward Harry's. Timothy hasn't said anything since we left P & P. He doesn't even comment on the ugly bum that crouches beneath a dumpster off Stone Street, though he does manage a grim wolf whistle toward a woman ********, blond, *********, high heels heading toward Water Street. Price seems nervous and edgy and I have no desire to ask him whats wrong. He's wearing a linen suit by Canali Milano, a cotton shirt by Ike Behar, a silk tie by Bill Blass and capÂtoed leather laceÂups from Brooks Brothers. I'm wearing a lightweight linen suit with pleated trousers, a cotton shirt, a dotted silk tie, all by Valentino Couture, and perforated capÂtoe leather shoes by Allen ÂEdmonds. Once inside Harry's we spot David Van Patten and Craig McDermott at a table up front. Van Patten is wearing a double Âbreasted wool and silk sport coat, buttonÂfly wool and silk trousers with inverted pleats by Mario Valentino, a cotton shirt by Gitman Brothers, a polkaÂdot silk tie by Bill Blass and leather shoes from Brooks Brothers. McDermott is wearing a woven Âlinen suit with pleated trousers, a button Âdown cotton and linen shirt by Basile, a silk tie by Joseph Abboud and ostrich loafers from Susan Bennis Warren Edwards."

"I screech and while backing away I bump into a fruit stand at a Korean deli, collapsing stacks of apples and oranges and lemons, that go rolling onto the sidewalk, over the curb and into the street where they're splattered by cabs and cars and buses and trucks and I'm apologizing, delirious, offering a screaming Korean my platinum AmEx accidentally, then a twenty, which he immediately takes, but still he grabs me by the lapels of the stained, wrinkled jacket I've forced myself back into and when I look up into his slantyÂeyed round face he suddenly bursts into the chorus of Lou Christies "Lightnin' Strikes." I pull away, horrified, stumbling uptown, toward home, but people, places, stores keep interrupting me, a drug, dealer on Thirteenth Street who offers me crack and blindly I wave a fifty at him and he says "Oh, man" gratefully and shakes my hand, pressing five vials into my palm which I proceed to eat whole and the crack dealer stares at me, trying to mask his deep disturbance with an amused glare, and I grab him by the neck and croak out, my breath reeking, "The best engine is in the BMW 750iL," and then I move on to a phone booth, where I babble gibberish at the operator until I finally spit out my credit card number and then I'm speaking to the front office of Xclusive, where I cancel a massage appointment that I never made. I'm able to compose myself by simply staring at my feet, actually at the A. Testoni loafers, kicking pigeons aside, and without even noticing, I enter a shabby delicatessen on Second Avenue and I'm still confused, mixed up, sweaty, and I walk over to a short, fat Jewish woman, old and hideously dressed. "Listen," I say. "I have a reservation. Bateman. Wheres the maÃ
00ae.png
tre d? I know Jackie Mason," and she sighs, "I can seat you. Dont need a reservation," as she reaches for a menu."

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Was Jesus well-dressed? No.
Originally Posted by axlpendergast
i wouldn't be so sure dude...local news back then pegged him clothed in "light so bright" that even the mountains will tremble and sing His praises". i think i need to find his tailor.
crackup[1].gif
God was his tailor. That's some bespoke classy ****. Bateman, Bill Blass? pffft

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd just dress to my standards, and hope my kid & future kid(s) will follow their dad's footsteps. Although I wouldn't approve of my spawn wearing some tattered wardrobe, or worse something a two dollar whore would wear, I also wouldn't want them to wear something that they might find "stiff", "too formal" or "uncool". That's just asking for a lifetime of resentment for the parent and the clothes.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why some people treat wearing jeans and dressing well as an either/or proposition - surely it's possible to do both?

I sometimes dress in jeans or shorts and a t-shirt, but I also dress very well at times.

All tastes are individual - I see it as rather analagous to liking both classical and rock music. Just because you like one does not mean that you cannot be a connoiseur of the other.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm not going to let a bunch of raggedy motherfuckers get in my way of being well-dressed.

thudyi3.gif

I rest my case.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flylot74
Lowering ones standards with clothes is a symptom of a charcater flaw in society. Where does one draw the line? Well, it's OK to dress like a bum....

.....then it's OK to father a child and obsolve themselves of responsibility....
....well, it's ok to euphanize grandma..... she old and a bother on us.....
.....its OK to raise a fetus to farm the stem cells and organs......

This may be a stretch for most of you, but I'm being over the top to get you guys to think about the possiblities here.... were does on "draw the line" Really?

If engineers design a car that will kill one in ten thousand drivers, is that OK? Then, how about ten in ten thousand? How about a thousand? I'm just asking the question here....

Where ARE our standards?

Holy ****, you're a nut job.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Holy ****, you're a nut job.

He's like a sartorial Allan Bloom, except not nearly as intelligent.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans are considered casual wear, so that is why they cannot be considered dressy. I didn't mean to sya made fun of, in referance to my sons they are both teens 17 and 14 in high school they go to a prep school and dress like such. they just opt for the maximumlevel of dress when other go for the bare minimum and ussualy don't change till late in the evening. It is not because I force them to or anything like that. a suit just dosent look right on a person if they arent comfortable in it. it's just that others treat them diffrently because of the way they dress drawing attention to it in a condesending way, like poorly dressed people were treated manys moons ago. They don't have a problem with it and I always tell them to walk tall and carry with them a proud look on there faces and other will learn there place and show there respect. Envy is a dark shade of green which shows greatly on the faces of those who can't help but mock that which they do not have but want. Hopefuly this horrid time in fashion will pass along side the members only jacket and acid wash jeans of the 80's once did.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
He's like a sartorial Allan Bloom, except not nearly as intelligent.

I was thinking more along the lines of a sartorial Johnathan Swift (as in "A Modest Proposal") but without even a trace of irony.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I always tell them to walk tall and carry with them a proud look on there faces and other will learn there place and show there respect. Envy is a dark shade of green which shows greatly on the faces of those who can't help but mock that which they do not have but want.
Maybe your children would be ridiculed less if they reacted to the comments with charming wit rather than an upturned nose.
I was thinking more along the lines of a sartorial Johnathan Swift (as in "A Modest Proposal") but without even a trace of irony.
Unless you count that his children lose the respect of their peers because they try to dress in a manner that they believe to command respect.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes! The poorly dressed should be eaten! (or turned into fine shoes)

penguin vic

Reaction score
This is too funny.
Mockery will get you know where...
Lowering ones standards with clothes is a symptom of a charcater flaw in society. Where does one draw the line?....
.....then it's OK to father a child and obsolve themselves of responsibility....
....well, it's ok to euphanize grandma..... she old and a bother on us.....
.....its OK to raise a fetus to farm the stem cells and organs......
Where ARE our standards?

So your speaking for Ringo here? Since when did you become his spokesperson?
I understnad Doc's example here
I offer my humble appology.

... commitment to excellence whether it be sartorial, or educational, philosophical, integrity and ethics
...and spelling? I believe people who can't spell and can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're" should all be "euphanized" before they ruin the world.
stirpot.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's not that they walk with unturned noses all day, they just don't stop to look down at those who mock them and niether do I. enough about us lets move the topic back to why and how things are they way they are, as opposed to the way they used to be, I am still curious.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Unless you count that his children lose the respect of their peers because they try to dress in a manner that they believe to command respect.

Good point.

Originally Posted by underwearer
Yes! The poorly dressed should be eaten! (or turned into fine shoes)

and I believe no gentleman would repine to give ten shillings for the carcass of a good fat child, which, as I have said, will make four dishes of excellent nutritive meat [. . .] Those who are more thrifty (as I must confess the times require) may flay the carcass; the skin of which artificially dressed will make admirable gloves for ladies, and summer boots for fine gentlemen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics