• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dressing up, when did it all go wrong?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flylot74
Mockery will get you know where. If you choose you can find and embrace mediocrity. Go on, slouch your way to oblivion for all I care. I for one wish to set high standards, just like our successful forefathers. It was demanding high standards and maintaining those standards that paved our road to excellence. If Washington, Lincoln, or Jefferson had not set high standard, where would we be? If Ike or Patton or Truscott didn't have high standards, we would all be speaking German and there would be a critical shortage of Jews! You would mock Dr. Demming or or Warren Buffett for setting high standards? Get a gip boy! The rest of the world is running over us while you dwell over your perceived "high ground relative morality". You'd probably be the first to sue over a design flaw because the product was "not up to standards". It is I that should be trembling........
Wow. You've taken this so far out of context it's not even funny and you've missed the point---many of our forefathers would find you slovenly dressed with your strange neck adornment, your oddly short coat, and your hair grotesquely unpowdered like a peasant. And comparing your perceived declining standards of dress with the holocaust is in incredibly poor taste, which just goes to show how much you've overblown the significance of your "standards".

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If Washington, Lincoln, or Jefferson had not set high standard, where would we be? If Ike or Patton or Truscott didn't have high standards, we would all be speaking German and there would be a critical shortage of Jews!

Jefferson, an advocate for informality, was often criticized for his dress. One British ambassador was outraged that Jefferson received him wearing a ratty old coat and slippers. It was quite the scandal, back in the day.

Lincoln, too, was rather dowdy, and had his share of appearance issues.

flylot74

Reaction score
You missed the point. I was mocked because I stated I set high standards. It was not directed about sartorial style. I was talking about standards about life: commitment to excellence whether it be sartorial, or educational, philosophical, integrity and ethics. It's about demanding the best of ourselves.

You missed my point entirely.... it had nothing to do about clothes.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You missed the point. I was mocked because I stated I set high standards. It was not directed about sartorial style. I was talking about standards about life: commitment to excellence whether it be sartorial, or educational, philosophical, integrity and ethics. It's about demanding the best of ourselves.

Perhaps, then, clothing isn't the be all and end all of personal standards?

I think you missed my point, too.

flylot74

Reaction score
Lowering ones standards with clothes is a symptom of a charcater flaw in society. Where does one draw the line? Well, it's OK to dress like a bum....

.....then it's OK to father a child and obsolve themselves of responsibility....
....well, it's ok to euphanize grandma..... she old and a bother on us.....
.....its OK to raise a fetus to farm the stem cells and organs......

This may be a stretch for most of you, but I'm being over the top to get you guys to think about the possiblities here.... were does on "draw the line" Really?

If engineers design a car that will kill one in ten thousand drivers, is that OK? Then, how about ten in ten thousand? How about a thousand? I'm just asking the question here....

Where ARE our standards?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You were mocked because "warned" us about your own self-aggrandized standards, as if anyone gives a ****.

You then drew direct comparisons ("slippery slope" ring a bell?) to your perceived declining standards of dress to forming the United States and winning WWII, which is completely asinine. Case in point, Doc's examples.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kind of like the loose standards of today. It makes me look better and also gives me fodder for my complaints and cynicism.

flylot74

Reaction score
So your speaking for Ringo here? Since when did you become his spokesperson?

I understnad Doc's example here. I didn't see it until after I posted. Thier sartorial standards were not up to snuff with those who used to rule them. OK. Point taken.

"as if anyone gives a ****" But you should give a ****. That's my point. We all should be focused on our standards. You don't care if the surgeon operating on your kidney chooses a standard that precludes sanitizing his instruments?

It is your responsibility as well as mine that engineering standards are high enough to preclude a bridge from colapsing in a mild wind gust.

Doc is right. Clothing isn't the end all and be all of personal standards/ That is my point.

Uhhh, crap! I highjacked this thread and I didn't mean to. This should really go into another forum. I offer my humble appology.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
The two Kenobis puts this shift into sharp relief for me:

"Scottish screen hunk Ewan McGregor is frightened by Star Wars fans and their devoted fervor for the sci-fi saga. The 34-year-old actor, who plays the young Obi-Wan Kenobi, found working on the three prequel Star Wars movies uninspiring as they focused more on special effects than performance - but he is even less enthusiastic about the films' die hard enthusiasts. He says, "There's this huge following, which is weird. They have big meets and conventions, and I find it all a bit frightening. Once this guy met me at a stage door when I was doing a play in London. The guy yelled, 'Obi-Wan. Do you have any advice for a trainee Jedi?' I just said, 'No, don't be so ridiculous.' It's just so weird, it really is."..."

compare and contrast to THIS...

" This past year a refurbished Star Wars seemed to be everywhere, but I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy. I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the film was first shown, it had a freshness; also a sense of moral good and fun. But then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The bad penny first dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy's eyes, I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form, and I guessed that one day they would explode. "I would love you to do something for me," I said. "Anything! Anything!" the boy replied rapturously. "You won't like what I'm going to ask you to do," I said. "Anything, sir, anything!" "Well," I said, "do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?" He burst into tears. His mother drew herself up to an immense height. "What a dreadful thing to say to a child!" she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right, but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities."

Ringo

Reaction score
Mockery will get you know where. If you choose you can find and embrace mediocrity. Go on, slouch your way to oblivion for all I care. I for one wish to set high standards, just like our successful forefathers. It was demanding high standards and maintaining those standards that paved our road to excellence.

If Washington, Lincoln, or Jefferson had not set high standard, where would we be? If Ike or Patton or Truscott didn't have high standards, we would all be speaking German and there would be a critical shortage of Jews!

You would mock Dr. Demming or or Warren Buffett for setting high standards? Get a gip boy! The rest of the world is running over us while you dwell over your perceived "high ground relative morality".

You'd probably be the first to sue over a design flaw because the product was "not up to standards". It is I that should be trembling........

Holy schnikies.... You must have a lot of pent up rage to come up with a rant like that one. I'm not going to get into a lengthy response, because I think both Doc and Brian said what needed to be said. However, I will add a couple of thoughts, since you were, in fact, responding to me.

First, yes, I was mocking your statement, because it was quite asinine. However, you took my mockery of your whole "Beware! I have warned you!!!!11one!!!" to somehow assume that I "embrace mediocrity," which is perhaps the dumbest and most idiotic inference you could have made. I really have a hard time figuring out how you got that out of, "I am trembling." And let's not even go into the whole founding fathers/WWII drama that you rambled on about. I don't even know if it's worth clarifying that I was making fun of the fact that you were warning us of your "aggressive standards," and not at the fact that you set high standards for yourself.

Secondly, the reason I made fun of that comment, in addition to it being ridiculous, was because (a) we don't give a **** about your standards (as Brian so eloquently put it), and (b) how are your standards going to affect my life? The only way I can see that happen is if I were to try and woo/court your sons and take them to the solstice ball while dressed in jeans. I'm sorry to say, but that's not going to happen. Of course I care about the standards of those people who do have an impact on my life, such as your surgeon example; but, I really don't care about your standards, and I certainly don't care a whole lot about the sartorial standards of others, as long as they are hot.

Cheers.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like bacon.

axlpendergast

Reaction score
i wouldn't be so sure dude...local news back then pegged him clothed in "light so bright" that even the mountains will tremble and sing His praises". i think i need to find his tailor.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
Was Jesus well-dressed?

No.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads