Dressing up for job interview... what to wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LilTimmy, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:eh:

2. mjjo

mjjo Active Member

Funny sometimes people obsess about what to wear, people should be concerned more about being on time for the interview, and the right things to say during the process. What you wear definitely gives an impression, but it's what you do and say that lands you the job.

3. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Have a few more interviews scheduled now. Enough that I might shake things up and *gasp* not wear a repp stripe power tie.

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

This and this and this. Leave nothing to chance. Do your homework. Be perfectly 'groomed' Everything about you should say - 'pays attention to the smallest detai' and 'takes work seriously'.

Do, of course, put your main focus on the content of the interview. But do so by making sure all of the 'little details' are perfected so that neither you, nor the interviewer, has cause to pay attention to them.

Most of the time if you are called for an interview you have already been pretty well qualified for the job. Don't let the little shit trip up your chances.

Perhaps it was just my father's quirks - but he always insisted that he sized up other business men via a 'shorthand' method of checking their shoes, fingernails, haircut, etc. etc. As a man who can't flatten out the basic details of appearance is unlikely to be able to handle much responsibility. And attention to details matters a great a deal in business. Perhaps this seems simplistic. But when conducting business 'time is money' and one often has little opportunity to spend more than a few seconds to form a first impression.

5. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

this is absolutely true..tbh, I try to ignore what the candidates are wearing and focus on the process, but imo, appearance (at least my organization) adds some weight to the hiring process. It is potentially a reflection of a person's work habits. You don't have to wear the most expensive pieces of clothing but at least try to be tidy. I cannot help but noticed a candidate yesterday wearing a Black suit, French blue shirt and square toe shoes, a total fail at all levels of SF group think. But I can tell he was honest, sincere and humble. Chances are good he'll get to the next round..

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

6. colinbc

colinbc Well-Known Member

I'll add what you should not wear during for the interview, all black ensemble - coupled with a somber mood!

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Def do research. A guy I know recently had a phone interview for a possible xfer from our NY office to Sydney. They asked him who the president of Aust was. He didn't know.....:eh:

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

That's because Australia doesn't have a President. They have a Prime Minister. :fistbump:

9. uniesse

uniesse Senior member

And a Queen.

10. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Welp, got rejected from that job I talked about earlier. So whether it was showing up early, the outfit, or (this can't be it) my qualifications *shrug*.

11. LilTimmy

LilTimmy Member

I was able to find a suit, cheap but good for 2 - 3 uses, which is all I need for $180.

I'm not that good with matching colors, so I got a dark gray (not black-like) and a blue shirt (a strong blue- only one that fits me) and a striped tie (blue,gray,white,black)

Once (if) I get the job, I'll be able to wear the regular clothes (casual).

I'll post pics of the shirt,tie and suit shortly if you want to give your opinion.

12. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

White shirt never hurts for an interview......

13. LilTimmy

LilTimmy Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry about the dpost. internet is slow.

I was not able to find a white shirt my size. 15 1/2 32x33

BTW, did I tie the tie as it's supposed to be? It's my first try.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

14. LilTimmy

LilTimmy Member

I was not able to find a white shirt my size. 15 1/2 32x33

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

White shirt would have been better but this can work if you need it to.
    Pull the knot on the tie a little tighter.
    Also, just like in the picture, do NOT button the bottom button of your suit jacket.
    If this interview doesn't work out, try to get a white shirt. It's a staple in a man's wardrobe!