1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dressing up for a social courtesy call

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Sep 19, 2006.

1. LARon

LARon Senior member

Every student at Harvard law is a grad student. [​IMG]

EDIT: By the way, even though I still disagree with LARon about his contention that a well dressed man is never out of place (try stepping into a soccer pub dressed in your bespoke suit), I think in this case, you pretty much got it right.

We'll keep this disagreement as our own running thread throughout the forum. [​IMG]

2. UserName

UserName New Member

Every student at Harvard law is a grad student. [​IMG]

EDIT: By the way, even though I still disagree with LARon about his contention that a well dressed man is never out of place (try stepping into a soccer pub dressed in your bespoke suit), I think in this case, you pretty much got it right.

Hmm... but being well dressed does not mean the man has to always wear bespoke suits, no? He can dress appropriately for the soccer pub (or whereever he is going) and still look well dressed if his clothes fit him and complement him well.

3. LARon

LARon Senior member

Exactly right.

4. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Hmm... but being well dressed does not mean the man has to always wear bespoke suits, no? He can dress appropriately for the soccer pub (or whereever he is going) and still look well dressed if his clothes fit him and complement him well.

I suppose so - but there are still situations where you do not want to be as "well dressed" as you can possible be. For example, you might wear a decent suit if you are a lawyer appearing before a jury, but you would not bust out your best bespoke suits under those circumstances. You may not even want to wear your best fitting suits.

5. LARon

LARon Senior member

Very true. As I've noted in prior posts, I think you can/should be well dressed every day, no matter the situation, but you should also be situationally appropriate.

For example, as odoreater suggests, whenever I'm making a public presentation or meeting with a new client or someone else who doesn't know me, I tone down some features I might otherwise play up (whether type of suit, color combination, fit, pocket treatment, etc). Once people get to know me, however, they know what to expect and are never surprised to see me looking polished, unless its the weekend, when I don't shave and hang out with my kids.

6. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

I would characterize your meeting as academic rather than as a social or courtesy call. Presumably you spoke about her work and your research. Hence I think your clothing choice was excellent.