• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Dressing the Cuff," as Flusser Might Say....

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the dress shirt/sweater/sportcoat combination, how do you think they should be worn when one wears a long-sleeved sweater over a dress shirt and then a sportcoat? If the sweater sleeves are long, as they often are on my somewhat short arms (typically 32 length), should the sweater sleeves be rolled up such that they don't extend past the shirt? Rolled up sleeves on knitwear never looks that tidy, and this is supposed to be a dress outfit. Right now I've got the jacket off, and the sweater sleeves are so long that I've got them rolled up close to 3" and the shirt and nice cufflinks still don't show.
confused.gif

ktrp

Reaction score
I don't know the rule on this.

I think there's no way you're showing french cuff under a sweater. TBH, I would avoid wearing a french cuff shirt under a sweater. Wear a barrel cuff shift or get a sweatervest.

When I'm wearing barrel cuff with a sweater, I often, though not always, adjust so that 1/2" or so of shirt shows under the sweater. I don't need to roll to do this.

Sounds like your sweaters fit poorly.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sort of made a rule that on the days when the high predicted is below 30 degrees I'll wear a sweater with my sports jacket. I generally walk quite a bit in my commuting to work, etc. However, I usually wear my sweaters for casual and see nothing wrong with rolling up the sleeves when long.
My sweaters tend to fit fairly well. It's just that with a more dressy look a rolled up sleeve reduces the dressiness.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also a sweater and french cuffs are conflicting formalities I have seen sweaters over french cuffs I liked. It was done under the circumstance that the sweater was a lightweight wool and fit snug to the cuffs, but didn't distort them. It was just like a fitted jacket cuff on the shirt cuff. Also only about 1/4" of cuff was showing through the sweater, which made it look clean and classy. When you are deliberately showing off cufflinks I think it always looks tacky.

You shouldn't even buy a sweater if the sleeves are swallowing your hands.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
I sort of made a rule that on the days when the high predicted is below 30 degrees I'll wear a sweater with my sports jacket. I generally walk quite a bit in my commuting to work, etc. However, I usually wear my sweaters for casual and see nothing wrong with rolling up the sleeves when long.
My sweaters tend to fit fairly well. It's just that with a more dressy look a rolled up sleeve reduces the dressiness.

I'd say that your sweaters don't fit well in the sleeve. I wear a sweater under a SC all the time and all I have to do is fold the sweater cuff in half, back over itself. This always allows both shirt cuff and a hint of sweater cuff to show under the Sc sleeves.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i wear a sweater/shirt/sportcoat a couple times a week. Never with a french cuff though....the sleeves of my sweaters are too snug to get over the cuffs. but if i did, the sweater shouldnt come up so far past the links that they show. Go for a barrel cuff. would look much nicer.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sweater sleeve folded over half, which I often do, is just what I mean. It looks neater than some other foldings but is still not that neat - for dress.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
The sweater sleeve folded over half, which I often do, is just what I mean. It looks neater than some other foldings but is still not that neat - for dress.

It's fine.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
It's fine.

Totally. In fact, I much prefer it to the cuff unfolded. I find unfolded sweater cuffs are usually too long for my tastes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads