Dressing on a budget. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by MrBodyMassageMachine, Aug 18, 2011.

1. MrBodyMassageMachine

MrBodyMassageMachine Member

So all my wardrobe is beginning to get outdated and worn out. There's not much I can do with it, so it's time to restock it. Problem is, I'm a college student with a ton of bills; I don't exactly have much disposable income.

So my question is, can you guys give me a hand here? Where do I look? What do I get? To be honest, I'm broke as hell. I can probably spend ~50 dollars on a single item. Unfortunately H&M around here is complete garbage.

So anyone, any advice or guidance here for me?

2. Christobevii3

Christobevii3 Senior member

Gap is sometimes hit or miss but their shirts on sale with 30% of sale they email all the time are reasonable around $30 a pop. Jcrew isn't too bad with similar sales for around $50 a shirt.

You could always move to texas and go with the $17 wrangler pearl snap work shirts or shirtless as an option.

3. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

uniqlo

4. yoyodunno

yoyodunno Senior member

buy used stuff on this forum? you can find some pretty inexpensive stuff, you didn't say what you were looking for though.

5. dangson

dangson Member

At ~$50 an item, J.Crew is definitely in your price range. They also have 15% off for students so that should help out.

6. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Senior member

Yup. If I was you I'd be taking advantage of the student discounts at RL Rugby and J. Crew and their constant sales. Pick up the basics. Oxford shirts. Chinos. Nothing trendy. Fill in holes with Gap. Gap has decent denim sometimes for $20. And pick up a pair of Clarks desert boots. Not $50, but a hell of a good looking shoe that can be worn with literally anything everyday.

7. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Thrift hard man. We were all there one time or another.

8. NeopreneJeans

NeopreneJeans Senior member

Search through B&S, loads of good deals to be had.

If you're buying from the mall, look at Uniqlo. Even better though (IMO) is Club Monaco, but only if they're on sale. I prefer the cut and, usually, the fabrics of the shirts as compared to, say, Uniqlo. For example, they have a pretty great seersucker shirt this season.

9. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

A lot of stuff from this forum is in good condition. Also sales, buy out of season, ebay, etc.

10. Raxxman

Raxxman Well-Known Member

We've all been at this point.

I'd personally suggest going for a small wardrobe you want to be seen in over a larger one you don't. That said go for the essentials, get reasonably decent quality essentials.

Thrift for stuff you can't afford, you can find some true bargins, but you need to thrift with an open mind.

B/S here works as well.

11. Grey

Grey Well-Known Member

Wat? What Mall has Uniqlo? In the United States? He said "~50 dollars".