• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

"Dressing Like A Retard Isn't Impressing Anyone"

dsmolken

Reaction score
Here's a rant I really enjoyed reading, featuring phrases such as "I despise the modern fashion for men to dress as if they are eleven years old" and "I'm mystified at the ass so tender it must be swathed in soft, specially absorbent fabric at all times": http://www.udolpho.com/weblog/?id=01...ressing-anyone

Any other similar rants that you've gotten a good laugh out of? Aside from the black suit thread, of course.

youngScholar

Reaction score
One of the biggest offenders (IMHO) are athletic/tennis shoes, the majority of which seem to have been designed by colorblind schizophrenics. Going to the gym or on a run? Fine. Otherwise wear something nicer.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
One of the biggest offenders (IMHO) are athletic/tennis shoes, the majority of which seem to have been designed by colorblind schizophrenics. Going to the gym or on a run? Fine. Otherwise wear something nicer.

Sad thing is they look down on those who make the effort to dress decently.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One really loathes seeing tastelessness, self-indulgence, and lack of intelligence jump up onto the table and loudly defend itself. If you need to dress like a young boy well into your 30s and 40s because you are psychologically crippled or otherwise unable to shrug off adolescent immaturity, that's fine, but at least have the decency to acknowledge this as a weakness of character.
Blah blah blah... look. I agree- I don't like slovenly fashions that are now the standard. But resorting to this kind of claptrap, name calling etc may be fun for the author to write, but it doesn't help his case.

It just makes people think that people who dress well are self-righteous prigs... well... maybe we are...

And who still uses usenet? Or is that 10 years old?

blofeld

Reaction score
the point that people used to dress as a sign of status, and no longer do, is wrong. people do now more than ever I think, but just in a different way. how else can you explain these:

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
But resorting to this kind of claptrap, name calling etc may be fun for the author to write, but it doesn't help his case.
But claptrap, self-righteous priggery and obnoxiousness are sometimes just plain fun.

Azure

Reaction score
That beard lefttist is hateous.

I hate all those dirty people who wants to life from the effort of others like us.

my two cents

Those people can´t be taken seriously with those stone age looks

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's Richard Stallman, the founder of the Free Software Foundation in the picture on the OP's link if I am not mistaken. Calling him a slob is not really fair, sorta like criticizing Paul Erdos for his dress sense. Like Erdos, Stallman was a nomad, living in his lab at MIT for years and his look is not very surprising. He is one guy who is not faking his look.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld

I'm currently in Africa watching the international version of CNN. There is a female news anchor who is wearing a dress in the Burberry plaid. IMO, she looks as bad in it, as does the guy in the photo.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld

These shirts look much better with a matching burberry plaid tie. Surprised no one has put them together to definitively win one of the pattern matching contests. The judges (edmorel, Manton etc ) would have creamed in their burberry plaid pants.

Me thinks, I saw a tie like that a few days ago on the forum.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But doesn't making the effort to dress well distinguish us from the masses who don't? Isn't that part of the fun? In addition of course to having at least some appreciation for class, tradition, and self-respect.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 255 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.7%
  • 31 - 40