1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Dressing for your body type

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jabonator, May 15, 2013.

1. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

One thing I've come to realize, that your body type will determine what looks good on you to a pretty large extent. There's plenty of looks I've seen here and elsewhere and thought they were cool, but when trying it myself, I've found it doesn't look too good. Others have made some posts on the issue as well, but I thought it would be useful to many, to gather that advice to one place.

Therefore, I decided to start a thread on the topic (excuse me if there already is one, I haven't seen such). What are typical problems with different body types, what are the solutions. Which things flatter which body types, and what small things you can do to balance out the problems.

For example, I'm not too tall, less than 6ft. But I've got long legs and arms. I'm also ridiculously skinny, but I have some hips. I guess sagging my jeans a bit helps to not accent my long legs and hips too much.

What type of clothes, and what kind of styling do you think would suit my body type? Or some other typical body types? Do you have problems dressing for your body type? Have you had issues finding what works for you for some reason, but then figured it out? This is the place to post it.

2. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

May i add hardest body type to work with is short

3. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

most of SF, SZ, and sufu's best dressers fall on the short and skinny side so.........

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. max_r

max_r Senior member

this is a good quote to have here.

5. RiesigJay

RiesigJay Member

Tag because this is going to be gold! Thanks for the thread creation OP!

6. Averon

Averon New Member

Having issues regarding this.

My measurements are:

Height: 5 ft 11 inches/180 cm

Chest: 42,1 inches/107 cm
    Waist: 30,3 inches/77 cm
    Bottom: 37,4 inches/95 cm
    Legs: 34,6/88 cm, (my hamstrings are a bit underdeveloped, quads are desently proportioned)

The main issue is T-shirts/shirts where european medium become very thight over my chest, while large becomes too baggy, especially in the waist area.

I'm currently browsing for some leisury clothes for the summer online, mainly because I have a hard time finding clothes I'm satisfied with in stores.

Any advice? Any good retailers that can accommodate me that ship to europe.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  7. Urthwhyte

Urthwhyte Senior member

This has the potential to be a great thread, hopefully it attracts some interest. Proportions are hard.
    My impressions are:

SZ: tall and thin - Christian, SeptSeptSept, Shucks, BSR, Shuit all come to mind
    SF: Similarly tall to SZ but more athletic in build - Synth, Spacepope, The-Arm all come to mind as taller and stockier.
    Sufu: I just assume everyone who posts there is Asian, but don't follow WAYWT. I find the most 44s on the market there, so I'll call that agreement.

Honestly, you and snow are the only short folks I can think of, and you're both 46/48s, no?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  8. rjbman

rjbman Senior member

I've got some fairly large hips relative to my waist, and sometimes struggle with it. I've found less-skinny-fitting pants help in that they don't follow my body lines quite so much so the hips aren't as evident.

Still working on other ways to help make it less noticeable though, so any tips are welcome.

9. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

People like merz and art also fall on the shorter end of the spectrum. There are more but I'm too feverish to look it up right now

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  10. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

Great idea for a thread man.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Christian: very tall and thin, BSR isn't particularly tall but he's thin (so like me), septseptsept isn't that tall either (I think, never met him). In other words picture make it hard to judge because, well, they dress for their body type.

12. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

I'm 5'11, 39-40" chest, 32" waist, with broad shoulders. But only weigh 160. I'm a cyclist so my thighs and glutes are developed, but I have skinny wrists and ankles. Hardest thing for me is shirts -- anything that flatters my chest/shoulders balloons around my waist. I've found best cuts for me are BB ESF and GV, though even Gitman is a little baggy around the waist. I agree that slightly tapered pants are best for athletic legs -- my go-to is Ep Rivet Chinos. I live in Paris and the brand La Panoplie is also a good slightly tapered choice.

With the caveat that if you have big feet you might want to go straight leg.

T-shirts are a tossup but I usually go with AA (both Alt-A and Amer-A) mediums. I go slim-straight for denim because I ususally wear some kind of boots. I also am a little more traditionalist with jeans. I keep trying on APC PS but I think the thighs are just too tight. I may have a go at the Petit New Standard, though.

What I've learned from living in Paris is that fit is absolutely central. You'll never see sloppy cuffs or pants with a break here. There are tailors all over the place and guys bring in stuff from H&M and Uniqlo all the time -- most people don't wear designer clothes because they're really expensive.

13. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Shirts for people with a difficult chest-to-waist ratio:

- WvG is the best fit I've found off-the-rack. The "monkey arms" option now makes them a viable choice for tall people.
    - MTM is a good option, but a) you don't always know what you're getting in terms of fabric and details until the shirt shows up at your door, and b) you should be prepared to screw up your measurements the first time or two around. Always measure off of a shirt instead of your body.
    - Shirts with box pleats tend to look terrible on me, but it's really cheap and easy to have a tailor sew down the pleat and take in the extra fabric at the waist.

APC PNS is an interesting fit. The waist is identical to NS, but the rise and thighs are ~ 1/2" smaller. The taper below the knee is pretty severe, so they might not be a great choice if you have big feet or large calves.