• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for the winter

nohnohyeh

Reaction score
Alright then, I've got a bunch of basic questions that I'd appreciate some help with, please.

I'm really unsure of what to get for the winter (temperature during these months can drop to minus 25 degrees celsius, but it'll mostly stay around minus 5) since I'm basically getting an entirely new wardrobe. I've been eyeing a pair of C&J's leather Chelseas but I don't like jeans and I'm uncertain of how well it will go other types of trousers. I will probably get some tweed or flannel trousers, but what kind of shoes do you reckon I should pair with that? I'm pretty much lost in every aspect here.

It would also be helpful and inspirational for me if you would be so kind as to perhaps post a description or picture of your own winter outfits.

Thanks!

Ideefixee

Reaction score
My philosophy with shoe/pant combinations is this:

I only wear denim with boots or sneakers. Denim and loafers can look cool with the right socks and rolled cuffs.

With tweed trousers, I'd go with some brogues or oxfords or even a darker colored boat shoe.

With dressier pants, either oxfords or loafers for a lighter evening.

I... would not wear Chelseas with any kind of trouser. I think it looks horrible. Wear them with denim, for sure.

Chinos go best with boat shoes, imo., or a nice chukka boot. Again, it all depends on the color, fit, and type of pant; and conversely the color and type of shoe.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Layers. Lots of layers. Get familiar with overcoats and wool and cashmere sweaters. Cotton just doesn't cut it.

Hats. Get a few decent looking hats. Wool ascots, watchcaps, fedoras, tweed newsboys, whatever. You lose much more heat through your head then from any other part of your body, you need to put something on it.

Warm pants are all well and good, but not too critical. What you wear on the top half affects how warm you feel much more. I wear jeans a lot, but flannel and tweed trousers will certainly work, as would a nice heavy pair of cords.

Shoes: Leather, and preferably a full leather lining, but beyond that it's up to you. Chelseas are a pretty versitile shoe. It would be a very good idea to have a good work or rain boot around too though, for those really messy days. LL bean has good options there, the Katahdin boot is popular here, and for the really cold and messy day, you could go to a pair of bean boots- their classic duck hunting boot.

Good wool socks are a big plus.

TBSDSpaniard

Reaction score
Chelseas look great with slim pants.....under jeans, odd trousers, and suits.

Calling DOC.

nohnohyeh

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Yeah, the winter slush is my main. I'm thinking of getting a pair of Loake Litchfield (good price and dainite sole) and/or an additional pair of low shoes if I can afford it, or perhaps I will endure the harsh days with some old shoes and multiple socks.

I will be buying flannel trousers and a pair of cords, maybe pine green, on tuesday. I will also be looking for a coat in dark blue or a darker shade of grey (charcoal?), but I'm not really sure how it will work with the trousers. I will be using dark brown oxford brogues.

Anyway, may I please ask you for some suggestions of where (online) to find a decent coat for $600/£379 at the most?

wetnose

Reaction score
Sounds like -25 C is new to you....

Basically, if you spend more than an hour each day in temperatures below -5, here's what you need:

1) Insulated boots (see north face or sorel)
2) Long johns (don't bother with silk - go for the wool-synthetic blends at ski shops)
3) Down jackets/parkas (Canada Goose being the best option, of course)
4) Mitts (not gloves - you need mitts)

Anything else and you're going to be cold. Yes, the above items are not going to look the height of fashion, but honestly no one is going to care at -25C.

shelbymrn

Reaction score
i would get a nice thick wool coat, wear a sweater underneath it with a shirt underneath that
then for your legs i would buy some thick denim and buy these things called chilis at a sporting goods store(made for snowboarding) to wear under you jeans (insulation...)
double socks with some boots or a thick shoe
a scarf
gloves
beanie/hat

overall..... layers and thick clothes

oh and one more thing, your going to look like the little kid from the movie a christmas story when hes yelling i cant put my arms down

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads