• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for interviews in today's market

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
I've been rethinking my interview wardrobe. When times were good, risk-taking was rewarded. It was the era of the real estate flip, the credit default swap, and Web 2.0 hubris. Now things are more serious. My usual interview outfit is my grey three-button suit, a daring shirt/tie combo, and semi-brogued oxblood shoes. The daring shirt combo (neat tie pattern with stripped shirt, french blue spread collar shirt with French cuffs worn with a burnt orange tie) has been my signature style. I feel comfortable playing with color, contrast, and texture because I have a formal education in design. Nothing I wear looks gaudy or out of place. It has a slightly fashion-forward flair but looks well put together. You get a sense of my style and personality just by looking at me.

I'm rethinking this approach given how tough the job market is. I'm considering severely toning down my style and wearing interview outfits that are considerably more conservative to reflect the somber business climate we're in. Also I feel that the stakes are too high. There are too many candidates for too few open positions. It's not a time to be risky or bold. I'm thinking of buying a new interview wardrobe that is considerably more conservative and sophisticated than what I have now. I'm not sure this is advisable because it's not really my natural style and I fear that it may look like a costume, not a natural extension of my personal style. My instinct is that it would look like I'm wearing a conservative suit because I have to wear one instead of me choosing to wear a understated style because I want to rock that look. I've been trying on more conservative suits (with regard to cuts and patterns) and I'm not feeling it. It's iffy, not spiffy. Would the best approach to this be refining my overall look but retain my signature shirt/tie combos? Or should I ditch the whole thing and go with the archetypal "interview outfit"?

As a side question, is there room for one's personal style in their interview attire?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you're dressed formal enough and neat enough, I think you're better off being yourself and not trying to game the current situation. Who knows? Some people might find a bright outfit extra-appealing in gloomy times.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
If you're without a job and already own clothes appropriate for interviews I don't think it's a good idea to spend more money on your wardrobe. I also doubt the color of your shirt or tie is what will make or break the deal.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt change a thing. You are supposed to go to an interview comfortable with yourself and confident. If you change your style just for the interview you wont be at the top of your game.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I wouldnt change a thing. You are supposed to go to an interview comfortable with yourself and confident. If you change your style just for the interview you wont be at the top of your game.

Not to nitpick, but there are limits to this. You still have to be as careful as reasonably possible about dressing to the right level of formality for the interview (which isn't always the same as for the office). Often, what passes for a young person's suit these days doesn't seem very work-appropriate--not that this necessarily applies to the OP.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Not to nitpick, but there are limits to this. You still have to be as careful as reasonably possible about dressing to the right level of formality for the interview (which isn't always the same as for the office). Often, what passes for a young person's suit these days doesn't seem very work-appropriate--not that this necessarily applies to the OP.
Absolutely! My answer was under the assumption that the op's attire was daring yet appropriate as he made it seem in his post. If he never ran into problems before then he shouldnt change it now! My advice was directed specifically for him and not to be taken as general advice.

petr

Reaction score
Only you can really know what your industry wants and rewards.

I am a conservative guy. I think you can go conservative and still set yourself apart with an extra edge. You are perceptive about the idea of not showing off too much. I think you may be spot on with that. But, you are in design, which means I would expect creativity in your attire. So don't go banker suit on us, but do keep the ensemble toned down if you like.

I have interviewed about 50 people so far this year. Most people dress terrible for an interview. You can spot a safe ensemble that a salesperson picked out a mile away; I personally deduct points for that. I enjoy a person who is comfortable in their "look" and has shown some sensibility in putting it together. It will be expected in the future after all.

Keep the shoes. I think oxblood adds an ineresting choice.

Good luck.

3stylelife

Reaction score
I think that people are behaving too reactively in the light of the economic downturn. You don't need to be changing what was previously successful for you (fashion or otherwise), unless you worked for a big-time bank, in which case you might need a new business plan.

petr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shoe City Thinker

As a side question, is there room for one's personal style in their interview attire?

I wanted to add one more thing. As long as this is not your first job, there is much more leeway. Be yourself. What I sometimes like, my boss hates in a candidate. I may think someone's tie is rediculous, while he compliments them on the tie.

There definately is room for personal style in an inverview, within reason.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by petr
Only you can really know what your industry wants and rewards.

But, you are in design, which means I would expect creativity in your attire. So don't go banker suit on us, but do keep the ensemble toned down if you like.

I have interviewed about 50 people so far this year. Most people dress terrible for an interview. You can spot a safe ensemble that a salesperson picked out a mile away; I personally deduct points for that. I enjoy a person who is comfortable in their "look" and has shown some sensibility in putting it together. It will be expected in the future after all.

Keep the shoes. I think oxblood adds an ineresting choice.

Good luck.

Actually I'm in IT primarily as a systems admin and systems architect. Vision and creativity are part of the job. So is the ability to combine diverse components into a cohesive system. I've been at this game for more than 8 years.

The comments in this thread confirm that trying to wear something bland will work against me. I do have a tendency to be overdressed (French-cuffed shirts may not be appropriate for a mid-career IT job). The feedback from headhunters has been positive. Some have commented on my presentation skills. And good presentation skills are hard to come by given that your typical nerd is more focused on the technical portion of their careers. Also since my background is in graphic design, I also apply for web design/development jobs.

That said, I do have a "conservative" look for the times when the financial industry calls on my skill set. Not that there are financial industry jobs out there or ones that I'm interested in.

JFKJean

Reaction score
I happen to think conservative for an interview is the way to go. If the employer can see anything in you versus other candidates, let it be fit and attention to detail, even in black and white. I think its better that your look gets you in the door but your resume speaks more volumes and seals the deal

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JFKJean
I happen to think conservative for an interview is the way to go. If the employer can see anything in you versus other candidates, let it be fit and attention to detail, even in black and white. I think its better that your look gets you in the door but your resume speaks more volumes and seals the deal

Trust me, my resume speaks volumes. Skills, I haz 'em. I just don't feel comfortable adhering to the orthodoxy of "Dress for Success" which IMO, was relevant when Reganomics was a good idea and MTV played something called a music video. If I tried to do the navy sack suit, white button-down, solid red tie, and black shoes, it would look like a costume on me since my personality and approach to IT are not conservative. There would be a credibility gap if i started waxing poetic about the strategic and tactical advantages of open source systems while wearing a corporate suit. I'd be better off with a cheap suit and a pair of duck-billed Kenneth Coles like many of my peers wear to interviews. I've greeted this semester's crop of co-op candidates and they're highly qualified candidates ... for the TV show "What Not to Wear". They may be genius Java coders but I don't think they're going to enjoy going to happy hour at Saint after hours. I hire people with a sense of self, a vision for their lives, and isn't afraid to break a few eggs to make an omelet. Nerds go into /dev/null. Well-mannered gentlemanly geeks get the second interview,

Being an independent consultant is easier. All my clients cared about is if I could grok their business problem, solve it, and get a rapid return of investment. They saw my dandyism as part of who I was and saw it as the trait of an innovator. It helps to have entrepreneurs and artists as clients.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please forgive my tone as this isn't meant to be critical, but how often do you interview? I get the impression you aren't interviewing for a normal long-term job. If that's the case, people might be able to give you more nuanced advice.

I'm basing this on the fact that you said you were talkiing about an "interview wardrobe". Unless you are constantly going on interviews, I'm not sure how it would become a wardrobe as opposed to just a few items that you tend to wear when you interview.

I agree with the others who say to do whatever you prefer within reason if you don't want to put on the interview uniform. This whole conversation seems to me to be a bit too high level. I guarantee you that potential employers are not taking your wardrobe as seriously as you do. At most they check the "shoes, shirt, pants" box to make sure you aren't woefully underdressed. There is a vanishingly small chance that you are interviewing with a persnickety SFer who really pays attention to this stuff.

I think that trying to communicate creativity, etc. through clever choices is not going to get picked up by interviewers.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
Please forgive my tone as this isn't meant to be critical, but how often do you interview? I get the impression you aren't interviewing for a normal long-term job. If that's the case, people might be able to give you more nuanced advice. I'm basing this on the fact that you said you were talkiing about an "interview wardrobe". Unless you are constantly going on interviews, I'm not sure how it would become a wardrobe as opposed to just a few items that you tend to wear when you interview.
The word "wardrobe" was a poor choice. I should of used "outfit". Prior to this job, I held the same job for three years. But my current job is financial industry IT and I'm not liking it. I'm considering doing contracting until the economy improves. I have a strong idea of what kind of working environment I want to work in but it's going to be hard to find. Hence the need to interview more than twice a year. Like many SF'ers, I enjoy dressing with style. I don't have many opportunities to wear my tailored looks. An interview is my opportunity. I've been coming to the conclusion that many hiring managers don't notice the nuances of my attire. It's more for the benefit of myself and my self-confidence.

pred02

Reaction score
Actually I'm in IT primarily as a systems admin and systems architect. Vision and creativity are part of the job.
I am in IT as well, and usually the person who has the least amount of vision and creativity is the architect.

I do have a tendency to be overdressed (French-cuffed shirts may not be appropriate for a mid-career IT job).
I think you need to rethinking carrer. I'm mid-level IT guy too and I want to get out. Get out while you are still can. Trust me, the way you describe yourself and dress already speaks volumes about you and I don't think the job is the right fit. Don't get me wrong, I am the exact same way (people in corp. IT wear short sleeve dress shirts and $40 rubber loffers).

Prior to this job, I held the same job for three years. But my current job is financial industry IT and I'm not liking it. I'm considering doing contracting until the economy improves. I have a strong idea of what kind of working environment I want to work in but it's going to be hard to find. Hence the need to interview more than twice a year.
I am in the same boat my friend, but you never know until you try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads