• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for hot/humid climates

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Texas near the coast and the temps here. for a lot of the year, are well above 90 with pretty high humidity. We're talking sweating-if-you-have-to-spend-more-than-1minute-outside weather, and it stays like that well into the evening sometimes.

The amount of different things you can wear without looking lost seems to get pretty boring to me. Polos, different shorts (yawn). I was wondering what other people had in their wardrobe as far as hot and humid weather staples.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
As a fellow south Texas dweller I feel for you. I have more linen than Ireland and Tuscany combined.

I know, I know...linen wrinkles like there's no tomorrow but buy good quality and wear your wrinkles with pride. It works in the south.

Lightweight wools are ok but still quite warm at times. From late April until well into October, I try to keep with the cottons unless I'm in a dressier suit and then I try for the lightest weight wools possible.

Rayon shirts are also excellent for staying cool and lightweight.

I don't personally wear polo's but that is purely my own individual prejudice. They are a very valid casual and dress casual option.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that a good quality 'thirsty' undershirt is a must as well.

I trust though that you won't mention shorts again in my company.
wink.gif
Especially not those awful 'man-pris' variety where they can't seem to decide if they're old enough to wear long pants with their flip-flops. lol

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to find a good linen short sleeve shirt but the all seem to be cut so loose. I don't usually wear super tiny stuff, but I used to try them on when i worked at Nordstrom in the Galleria and usually a small didn't even work. I know its a casual fabric and all, and I like the wrinkly nature, but I think a lot of brands go a little overboard with the "relaxed" nature of their cuts.

Actually, Nordstrom was the first and only suit job I ever had and at the moment I just work some part time jobs, but any type of suit in the summer here is torture. Im sweating just thinking about it.

Yeah, the shorts thing. See, I've always spent a lot of time around water so I like to think that's justifiable, but I'm really not wanting to wear shorts just out and about anymore. Every once in a while if I'm going to be at an outdoor event I'll let it slide, but finding good summer Houston pants ain't easy because I'm so picky. I have some slim chinos that I love but not much variety. Absolute under no circumstances man-pris. I'd rather not wear pants

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For climate like this, these 3 things should be your good friends:

- Cotton.
- Linen.
- Deodorant.

Also, I have seen special blends of cotton that keep your body cooler than the surrounding temperature by a few degrees. Sadly, I don't know where to get that material anywhere here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uzairh
For climate like this, these 3 things should be your good friends:

- Cotton.
- Linen.
- Deodorant.

Also, I have seen special blends of cotton that keep your body cooler than the surrounding temperature by a few degrees. Sadly, I don't know where to get that material anywhere here.

Yes.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
I live in Texas near the coast and the temps here. for a lot of the year, are well above 90 with pretty high humidity. We're talking sweating-if-you-have-to-spend-more-than-1minute-outside weather, and it stays like that well into the evening sometimes.

The amount of different things you can wear without looking lost seems to get pretty boring to me. Polos, different shorts (yawn). I was wondering what other people had in their wardrobe as far as hot and humid weather staples.

I stay in Singapore, trust me it is even more hot and humid. Even linen and cotton also feel very uneasy.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i +1 on linen. it is the hot weather 'cashmere' imo. so many things out there in fashionable linen and really nice cuts and silhouettes. linen pants, tops and even coats.

i like the linen shirts, but damn....linen pants? i don't think i could pull that **** off. seriously though, and i'm sure JohnShaft can attest, sometimes you need an absorbent layer. its really not a matter of IF you'll be sweating

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
some really dressy linen pants can be had, you dont have to wear it with linen on top as well. i would split the two.

i have a 100% linen glenplaid trousers from mabitex and it is out of this world. also a couple of linen/cotton blend pants. very nice, slim, and not any more needing for absorbent layer than your regular wool or cotton pant.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why hasn't seersucker been discussed yet? I think the fact that it tends to create a gap between your skin and the fabric allows for more breathability, and that's important in a humid climate.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
Why hasn't seersucker been discussed yet? I think the fact that it tends to create a gap between your skin and the fabric allows for more breathability, and that's important in a humid climate.

i actually forgot about it. i really just got into it this season and i only have 1 ss button down and a pair of shorts that i wear sometimes to outdoor functions and i like them both. i'll be looking for more shirts without a doubt

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, linen-cotton blended pants are a good solution, especially if the heat is mitigated (even just a little) by breeze. The linen keeps you cool, while the cotton prevents the gratuitous wrinkling. On my recent holiday in Greece, I wore a pair of cheap-ass linen-cotton trousers from Lands' End and they were perfect. Just the slightest breeze --even if induced by walking--kept the boys aired out.

A linen shirt, or a cotton shirt with an open weave, also worked very well. I also wore an unlined cotton sport coat as well. The latter might seem too much, but honestly, it kept the sun off more than it insulated. While outside, I felt hotter with it off than on.

Of course with all this, YMMV.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I also wore an unlined cotton sport coat as well. The latter might seem too much, but honestly, it kept the sun off more than it insulated. While outside, I felt hotter with it off than on.

Of course with all this, YMMV.

I've experienced this with a seersucker jacket in sunny weather.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a while, you simply get used to it. I've lived in the area most of my life (except for a few years in the Northeast), and wear a suit everyday to work, even as the heat index pushes past 110F. I walk about three blocks from my car to my office and still manage. The near ubiquity of central air-conditioning helps, but the body has a way of acclimating itself to even the most extreme of climates.

sharks9022

Reaction score
I live in Texas as well and unfortunately seem to sweat more than most people. I use dry idea deodorant, works really well, and always wear a v-neck undershirt with everything but a t-shirt. I'm working on becoming nocturnal as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads