Dressing for a job interview with what I have

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sigg, Nov 15, 2009.

1. sigg

sigg New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a fresh graduate and I've just got invited to an interview at a big consulting company. I don't really have a big formal wardrobe and I'm trying to put a nice outfit together.

I have a 2 button navy suit and black derby shoes. The problem is the shirt - after my move from university I only have 1 shirt that is suitable to wear with a suit. I know I should have more but i don't really have the money necessary for that. The shirt in question looks pretty much like this one:

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...peshirts!30445

(just without the white collar).

Is it ok to wear it to a job interview or should I buy a new one? What kind of tie should i wear with it? I have a plain satin navy blue one (a tad lighter than the suit). Would it go well with it?

Thanks for the help!

2. furo

furo Senior member

Shirt seems fine to me but if you go with a blue tie that might make it overly boring and weird: blue suit, blue shirt, blue tie

Maybe get a conservative repp tie that isn't very bold, just a tad bolder than the shirt.

Order of boldness should generally be: tie --> shirt --> suit

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Buy a new one, White spread collar with barrel cuffs.

For the tie you want something soporific, something that looks nice but doesnt draw attention.

[​IMG]

If your interviewer is a younger woman, you might consider a purple based pattern.

4. forsbergacct2000

forsbergacct2000 Senior member

That shirt might be a bit much for an interview - especially for someone who is not a CEO yet. You would be better off with solid white or solid pale blue, even if you have to buy a cheap shirt. You will have the jacket and tie covering most of it anyway.

5. laughwithm3

laughwithm3 Senior member

Go buy a solid white shirt and conservative rep tie, problem solved, you can use it for all your interviews.

6. Sander

Sander Senior member

Those of you who have said "buy a new shirt, you're not CEO yet"; have you read that he said "it looks like the one in the link, just without the white collar"?
    I'm from Europe and don't know much about American interview standards, but I'd assume that they're similar. From what I know, navy suit, light blue shirt, navy tie is good.

7. forsbergacct2000

Those of you who have said "buy a new shirt, you're not CEO yet"; have you read that he said "it looks like the one in the link, just without the white collar"?
    I'm from Europe and don't know much about American interview standards, but I'd assume that they're similar. From what I know, navy suit, light blue shirt, navy tie is good.

I stand corrected, but I still think a solid shirt, preferably white would be safer, if not as fashionable.

8. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior member

... From what I know, navy suit, light blue shirt, navy tie is good.

+1

Spend your money on having the suit pressed and remember to polish your shoes.

Practice and prepare your answers for the most common interview questions. If you go to the next round do as many interview cases as possible so you know what to expect.

Good luck!

/BB

9. Sander

Sander Senior member

I stand corrected, but I still think a solid shirt, preferably white would be safer, if not as fashionable.

Of course white is still safer, but light blue/white striped is still one of the most unobstrusive and conservative shirt cloths there is. The op specifically asked if he could get by with what he has, and I think he can do so safely.
    And to call a blue/white shirt "fashionable" certainly is wrong.

10. forsbergacct2000

For as little as $15 or $20, he could get a white shirt that would be safer. Depending on the interviewer, though, the shirt he is thinking of wearing would not be disastrous, but it would not be optimal either.

11. A.K.A.

A.K.A. Senior member

+1 on buying a new white shirt with a moderate spread or point collar. Show them you know how to dress appropriately.

Really, you can buy a broadcloth white shirt in your size at almost any outlet or on sale at a reputable department store. It is a small investment that will pay a high return, especially if you get invited for a second interview.

12. laughwithm3

laughwithm3 Senior member

Of course white is still safer, but light blue/white striped is still one of the most unobstrusive and conservative shirt cloths there is. The op specifically asked if he could get by with what he has, and I think he can do so safely.
    And to call a blue/white shirt "fashionable" certainly is wrong.

interviews aren't about "getting by", if OP cares about getting the job, he should wear the most optimal combination.

13. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

Pick up an inexpensive white shirt with a collar that fits your neck. Its important to make sure its not too loose or too tight.

Get a previously owned tie that's high quality, and conservative. Check the Buying and selling forum - you should find one for under $50 that will fit the bill.

And +1 on getting the shoes polished.

14. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Hi everyone,

I'm a fresh graduate and I've just got invited to an interview at a big consulting company. I don't really have a big formal wardrobe and I'm trying to put a nice outfit together.

I have a 2 button navy suit and black derby shoes. The problem is the shirt - after my move from university I only have 1 shirt that is suitable to wear with a suit. I know I should have more but i don't really have the money necessary for that. The shirt in question looks pretty much like this one:
    !

Do you have the money for a cellphone?
    Do you have the money to have a pint of beer?
    Do you have the money to eat out?

GTFO, no money for a shirt[​IMG] [​IMG]

get your priorities straight, it's part of being an adult

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

For an interview, I'd go with a red tie. Connotes power.