• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for a funeral..

dietcookie

Reaction score
Yeah depressing right after Christmas. I have to attend one tomorrow morning but I don't know what to wear. I have my pinstripe charcoal one from FIH but I think it's too flashy. I have my cheapo black suit from burlington coat factory. I think that with a white shirt and bugandy tie wil do fine. What do you guys think?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah depressing right after Christmas. I have to attend one tomorrow morning but I don't know what to wear. I have my pinstripe charcoal one from FIH but I think it's too flashy. I have my cheapo black suit from burlington coat factory. I think that with a white shirt and bugandy tie wil do fine. What do you guys think?
Go with the black. How burgundy is the tie? Is it bold? or slightly toned down? A rich burgundy will spruce up the suit too much I think.

Worst tie timing I have seen at a funeral was a guy wearing a looney tunes tie.

Also do everyone a favor and turn your cell phone off, or at least have the decency to change the ringer to vibrate.

Worst cell phone timing was at the funeral of a young man who left behind a large family and some jerk let his phone ring to some cheerful tune like "take me out to the ball game" or something like that. At my dad's funeral I was quit close to losing it about that as well.

JJF

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Ah, a topic I'm familiar with having preached several and attended many more. Sounds like the black suit is the right approach. Trust me, no one will notice what you're wearing unless it's inappropriate (see "Tie, Looney Tunes" above). The main thing to remember with funeral attire is dress conservatively, respectfully and so as not to call attention to yourself. If in doubt, always go black (except for your shirt, of course.). I've thought I need to pick up a black grenadine for funerals. I don't have a good black tie.

The timing is bad (the timing is always bad), but the first funeral I ever preached was on a Christmas Eve for a woman I didn't know and had never met. There were only about a dozen people at the funeral.

My condolences to the family and loved ones.

dietcookie

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. The burgandy tie was too flashy, so i'm just going with the black tie. Would a hankerchief in my breast pocket be ok?

marc37

Reaction score
ls it o.k to wear brown shoes to a funeral?

l was at a funeral recently when my much respected old uncle wore a grey suit with beautiful light brown brogue shoes.

What do you all think?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. The burgandy tie was too flashy, so i'm just going with the black tie. Would a hankerchief in my breast pocket be ok?
A handkerchief in the pocket would make you look quite dapper I would think (despite it being there in the movies where the lady pulls out the guys pocket square and blows her nose in it and puts it back in his pocket) so I would say leave it out.

Dapper: No.
Somber: Yes.

JJF

stache

Reaction score
marc I find that a lot of people don't wear black any more for funerals. The point of a funeral is that you're attanding as opposed to being overly concerned about your appearance for that moment.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I have worn both brown shoes and a pocket square to funerals. These days I would opt for black shoes, probably, but, again, as long as you're not drawing attention to yourself you would be fine. I wouldn't wear spectators for instance.

With the pocket square I would go with a simple white linen or perhaps black silk if you've got one. I understand what FIH is saying, but I always wear a pocket square--I can't help myself.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the pocket square I would go with a simple white linen or perhaps black silk if you've got one. I understand what FIH is saying, but I always wear a pocket square--I can't help myself.
As a reverand and a man with a family I think you have the ability to wear it and get away with it as noone would question your sincerity and emotions. I think a 19 year old (as dietcookie is) would look pretentious and overdressed for the "occassion".

JJF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads