• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing for a Date

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I'm trying to dress to impress on a night out with a girl here soon and I'm trying to decide what to wear. This is what I have for options, you guys tell me what is best...

1) Dark wash skinny-ish (more slim cut than skinny....)
2) White converse or brown shoes (http://www.dockersshoes.com/p/43919/...CTIVE-Tan.aspx)
3) Dark red v-neck sweater
4) Rose gold Skagen watch (https://secure.801hostinganddesign.c...ucts/43879.jpg)

Now I can wear a white dress shirt under it, with or without a Oxford style tie, but I'm really open to anything you guys say, tell me what to wear with it/under it

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In what universe does a pair of dockers impress anyone?

I'm a little hung-=over today, has the make-up of the universe changes?

vezatron

Reaction score
Those shoes are horrible. You better just start reading all the threads or search for "ugly shoes"

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Your suggestions seems fine (as long as you'd be mentally comfortable with them), but I wouldn't recommend a tie with a shirt under a sweater. Some people wear it but it's not my cup of tea.

I also have to humbly agree with the previous posts concerning those shoes: They wouldn't impress on anyone who cares about shoes. They look clumsy due to the thick sole. If the weather requires such soles, get hold of a pair of suede Chukka boots instead - that's my tip!

Glados1984

Reaction score
ok, **** the details and what anyone else will or wont say about your brands of clothing

what truly matters is that you wear whats comfortable to you. if you wear whats comfortable, you'll come across genuine and relaxed. if you wear something thats not you, you'll be a little more on edge and with doubt. a good 95% of getting a chick is confidence confidence confidence. thats it.

wear clothing that you are confident in. if that's a pair of dockers, then you'll do better in them than a pair of loaks you feel like a fake in.

and if you wear what is truly you, whatever that is, it lets her decide if she likes who you are, not some silly front you're anticipating she might like.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glados1984
ok, **** the details and what anyone else will or wont say about your brands of clothing

what truly matters is that you wear whats comfortable to you. if you wear whats comfortable, you'll come across genuine and relaxed. if you wear something thats not you, you'll be a little more on edge and with doubt. a good 95% of getting a chick is confidence confidence confidence. thats it.

wear clothing that you are confident in. if that's a pair of dockers, then you'll do better in them than a pair of loaks you feel like a fake in.

and if you wear what is truly you, whatever that is, it lets her decide if she likes who you are, not some silly front you're anticipating she might like.

Does a pair of dockers define you?

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Chicks dig ugly shoes on guys. You should be good to go with your outfit.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

no, thats the point. if you feel comfortable in them, wear them. dont let anyone say 'oh they look horrible etc'

you'll impress a chick more by being confident in so so clothing, then being not confident in good clothing.

what i'm saying is that the OP shouldnt change his own 'house style' too much.

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
You shouldn't worry about what you are wearing because she won't care.

What she cares about is what you look like without clothes.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no, thats the point. if you feel comfortable in them, wear them. dont let anyone say 'oh they look horrible etc'

you'll impress a chick more by being confident in so so clothing, then being not confident in good clothing.

what i'm saying is that the OP shouldnt change his own 'house style' too much.

Sounds like he wants to change his house style, thats why he's on SF asking.

I would suggest he lurks more, before proceeding.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Sounds like he wants to change his house style, thats why he's on SF asking.

I would suggest he lurks more, before proceeding.

And this is me suggesting not to change his house style simply to impress a chick. you should change your style solely to impress yourself.

If she's not impressed by who he is then **** her. find one that does like his tastes

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And this is me suggesting not to change his house style simply to impress a chick. you should change your style solely to impress yourself.

If she's not impressed by who he is then **** her. find one that does like his tastes

I agree with the first part, but I think thats its crazy to expect women to dress the 9's for an occasion and that its ok to show up in a pair of dockers.

So I dress the occasion as well.

What do you think?

elliottw

Reaction score
i'd say that a tie might work if it's knit. especially with a pair of dark jeans, but it's all in the details. i could see those shoes with some boot cut jeans, and well everything going south without more info to judge.

i agree with everyone else. be yourself and be comfortable.

Glados1984

Reaction score
I agree with the first part, but I think thats its crazy to expect women to dress the 9's for an occasion and that its ok to show up in a pair of dockers.

So I dress the occasion as well.

What do you think?

where are they going? Pizza and a bowling alley, or michelin star resturant then to the opera?

thats right, you have no idea.

prehaps he dosent expect her to dress to the nines. prehaps he's just trying to impress her.

djrajio

Reaction score

This is good advice.
I wouldn't be too overly concerned about trying to impress your date with what you wear; depending on the woman it may come off contrived and unimpressive given her tastes. Dress what makes you confident and comfortable.

If it gets me laid then yes a pair of dockers can define me.

But seriously are you so much of a douche bag to define yourself by the label of your slacks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics