• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing down a black suit

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Is it possible? I've got a slim black suit with thin peak lapels, what can I wear with it to dress it down so I don't look like I'm going to a funeral or a black tie event?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Break it up, then wear slightly more casual items with it.

Ex. 1) Combo of black jacket, shirt, jeans and sleek black laceups for nights out.
Ex. 2) Wear the pants with certain black sneaks (CP style), and a pale gray polo.
Ex. 3) Many other combinations you can think of...

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I was already figuring that one, though I have a similiarly fitting black blazer so there isn't much point. What about keeping the suit together, just with different shirts/ties/pocket squares? I'm having a hard time thinking of colored shirts that go well with a black suit...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Wear a nice crisp white shirt with a spread collar and no tie
2) Consider a black Chelsea boot or a black double monk for a bit more flair and style
3) A black belt with an interesting but simple buckle (and not a big buckle!)
4) all of the above but substitute dark trim jeans for the suit pants

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, how about lighter shirts in simple patterns, white background, and lighter colors to breakup the darkness of the black. Sans tie. I like the chelsea boot idea.
dobbyblueandwhitediagnal0811small.jpg
Or maybe this... not sure how I feel about it.
checkwhiteandpintdotcheck0307small.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with a colored shirt. Most colors don't look their best against the stark contrast of jet black. Stick with white but choose an interesting or distinguished looking collar. It will look right in any situation.

I do see some guys with dark hair and dark skin pull off a charcoal gray shirt under a black jacket. But that look seems so late 1990's to me now.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The belt isn't something I thought much about. I actually wore it without a belt (and no tie with a spread collar), but I still felt overdressed. I can wear jeans and anything else and I feel comfortable and in my own skin, but when I wear a suit I just feel different.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Is it possible? I've got a slim black suit with thin peak lapels, what can I wear with it to dress it down so I don't look like I'm going to a funeral or a black tie event?

look like or feel like?

if you don't wear suits regularly, people will think you are attending a funeral, wedding, interview, etc if you wear a suit of any color...

Originally Posted by Eason
The belt isn't something I thought much about. I actually wore it without a belt (and no tie with a spread collar), but I still felt overdressed. I can wear jeans and anything else and I feel comfortable and in my own skin, but when I wear a suit I just feel different.

you are just not used to wearing a suit, that's all. it is empowering...

and btw, to dress it *way* down, you could wear the suit with a bright colored t-shirt and a pair of converse sneakers, as long as the suit is fairly slim cut.

XeF4

Reaction score
White shirt, black tie, black shoes.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Wear a coloured shirt with a patterned tie for a less black tie/funeral look. I'd suggest a pink shirt and a black pin dotted tie.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or a grey polo, or grey v-neck over a t-shirt?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Black suit, white shoes, black hat, Cadillac.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Black suit, white shoes, black hat, Cadillac.

Not that crazy; get some white repettos. I wear those with black suits and a white tee, looks a'right to me. Since you're in asia you might be mistaken for a host but hey, maybe you'll have a wonderful career path opening to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads