• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing better= alienation.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Todd
Your friend, did she approach the men, or wait for them? If she took the initiative of course that is a different story.

Also, what general area are you talking about? It is amazing the different responses depending on were you are at. In my area (midwest) a pretty girl can sit there all night and no one will talk to her... In other states someone will walk right up and say "want to $&@)("?

She sits at a bar and men swarm to her.

I think you're right about there being geographical differences. The game is definitely different in cities vs. smaller towns, in large part because everyone has so many more options and it's all relatively anonymous.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Isaac Mickle
JesseJB, how old are you man?

And, have you lived in Seattle all your life?

Ill be 24 next week. Ive lived downtown for about 8 months now. I lived about 45 minutes north of Seattle for my whole life (save for 4 years of college near Spokane).

And my style is more SuFu-ish, but I do dress up well when I believe the situation calls for it.

And at the black and white party everyone was wearing white sport shirts with the collars popped, white new era hats, clunky white sneakers, tee shirts, jeans and just usual suburban house party attire that was just black and white. Maybe a bow tie here and there.

Im still trying to meet a new crowd down here...its just hard with a full time job. I had lots of friends before moving down here but we just dont have much in common anymore (thats what I meant about always ending up in certain groups where my style is looked down on). I have plans to join a local public relations society in the next week or so like my buddy who lives in my building. Hes actually going through the same problem that I am. Im really liking all the advice you guys have posted.

fatty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you need classier friends.

i'm trying not to look silly and out of place at uni, but sometimes i lament not being able to dress nice/up.

SieurDeLaSalle

Reaction score
Eason said:
I'm moving there in July, I'll help get your city's **** in order. ******* grungy hippies don't know when to let go.[/QUOTE]

+++++1111111.......
teacha.gif
worship.gif
boxing[1].gif

Lester56

Reaction score
Do I have your permission to use that line on my calling card? (looking for that thread too)

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *****
i'm trying not to look silly and out of place at uni, but sometimes i lament not being able to dress nice/up.

lol why not? I dress better than my friends, and apart from the occasional metrosexual comments, I get nothing but a decent amount of respect. My motto is "don't take style advice from people who can't dress themselves decently enough"

fatty

Reaction score
because it makes it obvious i'm a first year? [freshman?] i will dress better next year.

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *****
because it makes it obvious i'm a first year? [freshman?] i will dress better next year.

haha fair enough. Peeps here don't bother to dress decently because they're lazy. It probably also because they're just not very stylish in general. Sad.

katon

Reaction score
American style has a few things about it that make it unique. One that stands near the front is the amount of importance it places on not putting on airs, even if they happen not to be airs.
laugh.gif
Anything that smacks of privelege makes a lot of people feel uncomfortable. Combine this with a marketing machine that has convinced a generation of people that true authenticity can only be found in a pair of Levi's, and suddenly anything dressier becomes a big turnoff, even in situations where it wouldn't have been remarkable before. It started with the American "trad" look, which ignored all those little tailoring tricks that made a person look more imposing in their suit (like darts and padding), and people kept undercutting eachother trying to look more and more informal until eventually we end up with the interesting situation of today, where a bunch of people who normally would be wearing suits & slacks and all that jazz spend a great deal of time and money attempting to look like they just got off of work from their job at the auto shop.
smile.gif

But then that's the way of the world, I guess.
smile.gif
It's always important to keep one's level of formality appropriate for the crowd one's in. In this case, it probably boils down to wearing the damn jeans.
smile.gif
They're not so bad, really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads