• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing at 20.

Reaction score
So I am a 20 years old guy.

As of right now I think I dress pretty ok, I get told I dress well but it just feels a little childish..

I usually wear black skinny jeans, vans old skools, chelsea boots, Ultra Boosts, Red Adidas Gazelles, Hoodies, Sweaters..
Nights out its typically plain t shirt (like during the day), skinny jeans, vans, maybe a shirt, maybe a shirt left open over the t shirt..
I also wear joggers.. at times..

I just want to look a bit more age appropriate. I don't want to look like I am a 30 - 40 in business casual..
I have no need to 'dress up', it's just going to and from lectures, going to the pub (Bar) etc..
I've no real need for blazers or ties.

So because of that I'm thinking something along the lines of;
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c9/9c/3c/...9b54000--celebrity-street-styles-jon-snow.jpg
https://redwingrichmond.com/wp-cont...ling-t-shirt-jeans-in-red-wing-work-boots.jpg

I've got this idea in my head of chunky cardigans, boots, slim jeans, casual shirts, fisherman sweaters, shearing jackets..

What do you guys think?

Maljunulo

Reaction score
You asked.

I think that as long as you want to emulate "celebrities" and think wearing a tee shirt is being "well dressed" I'm really at a loss for something to suggest.

Reaction score
You asked.

I think that as long as you want to emulate "celebrities" and think wearing a tee shirt is being "well dressed" I'm really at a loss for something to suggest.

I’m using the pictures/people as examples, it’s just a rough idea to build off.

I don’t want to wear a sports jacket to college, I’ve no need for a tie, when I need to wear something of that nature I’ll go for that look.

Right now I’m just looking to look somewhat older or just more age appropriate, whether or not you like the style is completely different..

I just means a more simplistic style.. nothing too fashion forward, just clothes that fit.
Maybe adding in some Common Projects too, but with slim jeans, and a t shirt with a cardigan.. no wide leg trousers, no Rick Owens, just something simple that looks a little bit more age appropriate..
what do you think?

tennessee

Reaction score
I think you're on the right track. Swapping out t-shirts for button-front shirts and sneakers for leather chukkas/shoes/etc. or premium minimal sneakers is an easy way to elevate a casual outfit. Also, it is wise to avoid clothing with big logos or branding.

Tobes

Reaction score
Yeah, seems you're on the right track and probably have most of your wardrobe already there.

If you want to smarten up but still remain trendy, my advice would be to skip the hoodies unless layered with a jacket, ala the picture below. Replace the Vans with the boots in the photo. Plain white t-shirts are fine but think of adding a henley t-shirt into the mix. It's that middle ground between a regular t-shirt and a polo. It just adds a touch of character. large_7126e27e-b058-49a9-a14d-7aa04b6d6691.jpeg

Jeff FE

Reaction score
I think you're on the right track. I know a lot of guys in their 20's who wear stuff like that. You can take simple outfits and really make them better by adding accessories. maybe a watch, bracelet, or a necklace of some kind with your t-shirts. I see a lot of guys wearing chelsea boots now with the jeans cuffed so the whole boot shows. That looks pretty cool.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 20, you're at the age where you can where pretty much anything and get away with it. Honestly, it sounds like you're already age appropriate.

Stuart Midgley

Reaction score

'MENSWEAR ADVICE: Ask for advice about style from the most knowledgeable menswear community on the internet. "Oldtimers", this is a newbie abuse free zone.'

Be kind, please.

Tobes

Reaction score
'MENSWEAR ADVICE: Ask for advice about style from the most knowledgeable menswear community on the internet. "Oldtimers", this is a newbie abuse free zone.'

Be kind, please.

I think it comes down to more factors as well, than just if whether a t-shirt and jeans is too basic to be stylish. One can wear the most basic combo but then add style in the form of a stylish hairdo, beard, wrist or neck accessories, etc. There are various ways to be stylish than just the clothing aspect.

ClosetEvolution

Reaction score
I’m in my late 20’s and with I had found stlye forum at your age! I think your idea of chunky cardigans and such is excellent! I’m trying to build that into my wardrobe atm. For myself, I peruse Pinterest from time to time and have a board titled ‘things to wear’ that I post outfits I like and want to emulate. After a while of pinning pictures, I can look through and notice themes that seem repeated. It has helped me get an idea of the style I want to adopt and may work for you as well.

Anachronist

Reaction score
If you do want to show off that one or other time, take a look at Ralph Lauren's purple label page men's section checking out the casual looks. Whilst I personally find many of his items heavily overpriced, I think Mr. RL has a fantastic hand for style and lovely combinations ranging from casual to formal. Many of the casual looks you'll find on the website can be emulated with similar garments at much lower cost without loss of style.

Replace finer shoes with boots or nice sneakers for a less preppy look if you like, but you can't go wrong with most of the outfits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads