• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressed Down Shawl Collar Tux Advice Please

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Buy a black cummerbund. Wear a black bowtie. Simple turndown collar white shirt. No pleated front and covered placket instead of studs would be ideal for a shirt. Dress it down with a pair of velvet evening slippers.

Very good ideas, Dopey.

If he were going to have one made, what, in your opinion, would the perfect bespoke DJ look like?

Mr.P

Reaction score
Sir, I am quite certain that a black tuxedo should not be worn during a wedding. Ever.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Buy a black cummerbund. Wear a black bowtie. Simple turndown collar white shirt. No pleated front and covered placket instead of studs would be ideal for a shirt. Dress it down with a pair of velvet evening slippers.

The dwarf has it.

Other ideas of varying taste:

Tux shirt of slightly different color than usual (cream, light blue, or with patterned body)
Discreetly colored tie/cummerbund (still dark, though -- burgundy, perhaps)
Interesting tux shirt like the hand-beaded Richard James formal ones.
1960s throwback very fine cotton, silk or cashmere turtleneck in lieu of formal shirt
Similarly 1960s style Cossack-button shirt (i.e. buttons offset up to one side, high collar)
Interesting texture to bow tie -- velvet (say it is ironic) or a strange Alexis Mabille pattern from www.couturelab.com
Interesting tux shoes like Belgian loafers or formal slipons maybe in ribbed silk or with playful monograms/embroidery (like the RL ones with jaguars on them or look at Shipton & Heneage or Bowhill & Elliott), or maybe velvet, lizard or something wacky like a funky print.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Suggest an ascot, preferably coordinated with the bridesmaids halter-tops. Since you're dressing down on your wedding day and all that.

Well, with the whopping guest list of 7 and a wedding party consisting of one bride and one groom, I fear I shall have to settle for coordinating my ascot with the waiter's secret lacy underthings.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i aint sure if you seen them **** shirts but id bet yer weddin party'd be damn grateful if you'd set em up with a few

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnShaft
Well, with the whopping guest list of 7 and a wedding party consisting of one bride and one groom, I fear I shall have to settle for coordinating my ascot with the waiter's secret lacy underthings.

well-played, sir! and congratulations on the impending nupitals, and I hope the weather cools down in time to be tolerable.

I'd go with Dopey's suggestion, this being a wedding. For other occasions and colder weather I'd also consider a white turtleneck

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
i aint sure if you seen them **** shirts but id bet yer weddin party'd be damn grateful if you'd set em up with a few

I done seen them and made me a buy in bulk. Jus' like Sam's Club! I got'em fer all the fellers. Wanted to be classy so I got the ladies gift cards from the Wal-Marts.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
well-played, sir! and congratulations on the impending nupitals, and I hope the weather cools down in time to be tolerable.

I'd go with Dopey's suggestion, this being a wedding. For other occasions and colder weather I'd also consider a white turtleneck

Thank you twice, sir.

I pray the weather moderates as well. Nothing like showing up 'dewy' (or more nearly soaked) to one's own wedding.

I've been considering Dopey's suggestion (thank you Dopey) quite a bit and think that is the way I will go. Losing the vest in favour of the cummerbund and a simpler shirt should accomplish the mission I'd hoped to.

BB seems to have separate cummerbunds which, I'm assuming, should be sufficiently close to my BB lapels and trouser stripe. I'm going to head over to the store now that the weekend has arrived

pbc

Reaction score
I am surprised at the lack of input for this dilemma. Most here could name a dozen ways to make the black tie outfit less formal but still kosher, before you can finish asking the question. The four-in-hand tie part must have distracted everyone. On that point I agree with the others that it should be avoided at all costs. Likewise, the suggestion of a three-piece suit would be quite nice if you go the suit route. I'd add that a double-breasted navy suit would look great - it's always a favorite of mine.

I favor dressing up for your wedding, though a tuxedo for the ceremony seems out of place for me, but fine for the reception. You probably didn't intend to get a second dinner jacket, but I'll include such options for completeness.

Item/details that dress down black tie but are still correct:
- fold down collar
- double-breasted dinner jacket
- placket shirt instead of studs
- plain front shirt
- double cuffs instead of single
- white dinner jacket (shawl coller) if warm enough
- velvet black (or even burgundy or bottle green) dinner jacket - this might even make it too informal, but you are having only seven guests.
- cream/champagne silk or linen dinner jacket if warm enough (hopefully not the same exact color as the wedding dress)
- white pants with your black dinner jacket - a rare but "correct" variation of warm weather black tie
- colored pocket square - red, burgundy, champagne, cream
- calf leather shoes instead of patent leather, but make sure they still have a decent shine
- velvet slippers instead of shoes (again, possibly too informal or out of place if your guests don't understand, but you decide)
- burgundy cummerbund with your black bow tie. This is usually saved for a white dinner jacket, but I think it wouldn't be too inappropriate if you wear it with a black dinner jacket.

You could technically include some subtle patterns in your bow tie or socks (clock on socks seem traditionally popular for some reason) to dress it down a bit, but I think they would be so subtle as to miss the point. Whether you decide to go with a suit or not, please include a proper boutonniere in the button hole and a pocket square. Given that your bride will have a nice evening gown, I'd still vote for black tie, at least for the reception. Let us know what you decide.

pbc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads