• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dresscode for funeral

qwe111

Reaction score
I will be attending the funeral of my grandmother soon.
Since I don't hava a black suit I am going to wear a dark navy suit with a white french cuff shirt and black Oxfords. Do you think that's appropriate?

Should I wear it as a full 3-piece suit or rather skip the waistcoat?

I am unsure regarding the tie: Should I get a black or gray one?

Chowkin

Reaction score
Dark navy suit with a white shirt and black Oxfords should be fine. Make sure you shine your shoes properly.

Three piece or two piece - doesn’t make too much of a difference.

If you are going to have to buy a tie anyway, go for a black one. You will be using it more frequently as you grow older.

qwe111

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback!

I wasn't sure because I read that a black tie should not be combined with a navy suit. Not sure if that really is the case.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Dark grey is fine, though to be honest you won’t get much wear out if in normal daily use so might as well go black. Not a problem to match with a navy suit at a funeral.

Chowkin

Reaction score
Forgot to say, choose a grenadine or a knitted one:

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I usually wear a dark suit, white shirt, dark tie to funerals, but notice increasingly that I am in the minority. To the point that I feel out of place. Notice what the rest of your family wears to the funeral and adjust accordingly in the future.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I usually wear a dark suit, white shirt, dark tie to funerals, but notice increasingly that I am in the minority. To the point that I feel out of place. Notice what the rest of your family wears to the funeral and adjust accordingly in the future.
I have to disagree with this advice. The advice given by @Chowkin and others is right: dark suit, white suit black, four-in-hand tie. Attending a funeral is about paying one's respects to the deceased, not about what the rest of your family nor anyone else is wearing.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This sort of rig is unimpeachable at a funeral but I understand your creeping trepidation. If this is due to eroding standards of dress and decorum then it’s too bad. If it’s due to an emerging trend of wanting funerals to be more a positive celebration of a life well lived with upbeat music and jovial remembrances in place of demure clothing and dirge music then I can absolutely get behind that!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a man in a tweed jacket, brown brogues, tattersall shirt and a coloured tie with motifs on it recently at a funeral. A pallbearer at that.

It annoyed the hell out of me and didn't go unnoticed by others, too.

Darkest suit you own, white shirt, black tie, black shoes. End of story.

Last edited:

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it works for this dude at the funeral of one of his closest friends, it should work for anyone.

Attachments

• 39A62C88-1437-4859-AABA-5F919F95E838.jpeg
    39A62C88-1437-4859-AABA-5F919F95E838.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 809

yanagi

Reaction score
If it works for this dude at the funeral of one of his closest friends, it should work for anyone.

I dunno. I think someone on the left is giving the dude the ol' stink eye.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I once attended the funeral of a nephew in a pair of jeans. Not intentionally but because I was running horrendously late, the trousers I’d travelled with didn’t fit and I didn’t have time to buy anything, and I figured that showing up mid-service would be even more disrespectful that showing up in inappropriate clothing.

This was more than a decade ago, and it’s still one of those memories that hits me in the face whenever my mind wanders, causing me to groan out loud with shame and embarrassment. These days, unless it was made crystal clear by the family that the deceased wished their funeral to be a celebration, I’d wear the most traditional and severe suit you could possibly imagine. A funeral is no place to show off your wardrobe, experiment with something new or even try to look good.

That said, a sober navy suit and black grenadine seems perfectly fine to me.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say avoid the french cuffs and stick to barrel cuffs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads