• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress watches for around $2000?

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new watch and needed some help as I know barely anything about watches. I'm a college kid going into finance and I'm in the NYC area, so would prefer to go to a dealer or a store than buy online. I'm perfectly fine with pre-owned. My budget is about $2000, but I can stretch to $2500 if need be.

The only specification is a leather strap.

Companies I'm looking into are:

IWC
Omega
Nomos Glashutte
B and M
Muhle Glashutte

but I am open to other options as well.

Also, why are vintage watches so cheap in price? I was on this website and beautiful Omegas go for $1,000

http://www.gmtsky.com/vintage-watches/omega

Thanks, and any help is appreciated.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're really looking for a pure dress watch, you can get a vintage Omega for WELL under your budget. There's a bit more of a learning curve, but worth the effort, IMO. They are less expensive because well, they're old. But in good condition they will run as well as you could need.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. RogerP, do you know any NYC dealers that sell vintage Omegas? I'm really liking the style. Also, do you know if I can find an IWC in my budget or is that a stretch?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not in NYC so can't help you there. Although most of my vintage purchases have come through fellow collectors on forums like TimeZone and Watchuseeek. There is a bit of an assurance that comes from dealing with someone with a long and active post history. Searching Omega on Watchrecon will always bring up a smattering of solid vintage purchase options being advertised on those and other forums. I think a contemporary IWC is probably out of your budget, but a vintage watch would be doable.
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg
orig.jpg

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Some ideas.....

yeah, there are some Omega's, Ulysses Nardin,IWC,Universal, etc. All in your price range. Also, Ball Make some nice watches for the money.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you will be able to get a Nomos, new, for your budget. If you like bauhaus styling (and I do), then these are superb timepieces, very elegant and restrained. If you'd like to stay new, look also at Tissot and Longines.

Stowa makes superb watches that are well within your budget.

Vintage is a different world. It's very easy to end up with something that looks like a bargain but is not. If you know someone who is knowledgable about, say, Omegas, then rely heavily on their advice. It's true that there are many beautiful vintage Omegas out there that will give you years of good service. You should be able to find a nice piece that will easily fit your budget.

Last edited:

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the above vintage/used watches are great suggestions.

If you are also considering new watches, you may want to look at Tissot, Tutima, Baume et Mercier, Hamilton and Oris. All make nice automatic watches well within your price range.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Agreed on Oris.
nod[1].gif

you might also be able to get a nice used Tudor watch within your budget.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for 2.5k, I would be looking at vintage DJ or a preowned omega AT.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If I were going new contemporary, I'd rather save money and get a nice Hamilton with a solid and dependable ETA movement than max out the budget on some other mid-tier brand charging way more for essentially the same movement or a Sellita copy. An entry level Nomos is a very good suggestion. Not everyone warms to their austere aesthetics, but I like 'em a whole bunch. And of course, there is the pre-owned contemporary market. I'd just search that price range on watchrecon to see what comes up. One thing for sure, as a watch newbie, it would be wise to invest a good deal more time in learning about the subject before plunking down $2500 on anything.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads