1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dress Watch Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wgiceman, Aug 24, 2006.

1. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior member

Can you guys give a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive dress watch? I am thinking in the $200 - $500 range. I would prefer something classy, not bling-bling. This would be something appropriate to wear for business first, then social occasions.

Also, if you can tell me where I could possibly find these timepieces, I would definitely appreciate the info.

Thanks.

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Can you guys give a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive dress watch? I am thinking in the $200 - $500 range. I would prefer something classy, not bling-bling. This would be something appropriate to wear for business first, then social occasions.

Also, if you can tell me where I could possibly find these timepieces, I would definitely appreciate the info.

Thanks.

http://stowa.de/shop/cgi-bin/lshop.c...gesamt_zeilen=

http://www.zenousa.com/php/zenoview_...4sw&c=pclassic

Plus tonnes other Citizen, Seiko, Poljot, Hamilton, et.c.

Can you elaborate more on what you would like?

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

With those guidelines I'd probably just go with a Seiko or Citizen or something of the sort, you'll get a practical watch that will work well and it probably won't cost you $500, probably $300 max.

4. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

http://www.projects-us.com/html/m___co.html

The watches I wear for everyday use, are M & Co. They tell great time, look clean and spare, don't get in the way, and last forever. The one I wear is not pictured, here. It ran 220$, around fifteen years ago. Extremely dependable. No repairs, except for battery. Because these pieces are so unadorned, they slip in and out of many different wardrobe options.

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

http://www.projects-us.com/html/m___co.html

The watches I wear for everyday use, are M & Co. They tell great time, look clean and spare, don't get in the way, and last forever. The one I wear is not pictured, here. It ran 220$, around fifteen years ago. Extremely dependable. No repairs, except for battery. Because these pieces are so unadorned, they slip in and out of many different wardrobe options.

Wow I really like the "5" Model. You say yours ran for $220, and all of these are cheaper. Where can one find the more pricey models?

6. Ivan Kipling

'Styles, why not call MOMA, and see what they tell you. They may carry more models. I think that no. 5 watch, is WILD. Love it! Has personality, intrigue and function.

Remember, I'm almost fifty-one, so I can't remember these transactions, too well. My sister tells me that she bought my M & Co. watch, for my 36th birthday. Unfortunatly, K. can't remember where she bought it, either . . . [​IMG]

7. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I like the way they hire big-name architects to design them. The Spare Watch is a cool name for an inexpensive watch.

8. Ivan Kipling

Lucky Strike, I shop often, from Museum stores. You can find amazing merchandise, often well priced. The Chicago Art Institute, has a terrific little gift shoppe. I'm there, often . . .

9. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I'd get a watch with a replaceable leather band. That way you can have black or brown ones on hand to match your shoes.

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Get yourself a vintage Hamilton. Beautiful pieces, and they were built to last.

11. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I would recommend an entry level Oris on the secondary market. They have quite a few basic models designed around the ubiquitous, and reliable, ETA 2892 movement. I have a minature wrist, so I wear an older deadstock 35mm Oris dress watch that serves as my daily beater. It doesn't garner many compliments at first glance, but people appreciate the fact that it has an automatic movement ( simple display back).

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Check out this internet vendor (authorized dealer):

http://www.watchbuys.com/1000.htm

I like the Nivrel Special Anniversary Limited Edition, and for $90 more than your maximum, the Limes Klassik Cartouche Silver.

13. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Get a under $100 watch and save your money to get a high quality watch down the road.

14. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

How do people feel about Omega watches?

15. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Vintage Omega (Hamilton, as mentioned by VintageGent, would have the same appeal, I think): [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Get a under $100 watch and save your money to get a high quality watch down the road.

I've been considering this $80 watch from Orvis. Not mechanical, obviously. But it has the word "vintage" in its name! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Vintage Omega (Hamilton, as mentioned by VintageGent, would have the same appeal, I think)

Vintage Omegas are a great choice, as well. One caveat: Vintage Omegas are far more likely to be faked than are Hamiltons. They are reported to be legion on eBay.

18. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

I have my eye on a Seiko Spirit, specifically the SCVS013. I think they're only available in Japan though. More pics and info on how to go about getting one here.

19. rajesh06

rajesh06 Senior member

Check out this internet vendor (authorized dealer):

http://www.watchbuys.com/1000.htm

I like the Nivrel Special Anniversary Limited Edition, and for $90 more than your maximum, the Limes Klassik Cartouche Silver.

Don't buy the Nivrel its a piece of crap. I bought it because I liked the look and have regretted it ever since.

20. DGP

DGP Senior member

Is that really all you can spend? I ask because you won't get much of a mechanical watch for that price, and if you are going to buy quartz, you might as well buy Timex. For about a grand or so, you can find a watch which probably retailed for closer to $1,500. Since the group that owns Movado just bought Ebel, I'd see where the nearest Movado outlet store is, and check out the Ebels. I think they are well made, and you can probably find a nice one for about a grand or so.