1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dress Watch for Small Wrist (Stowa Antea KS or Omega Seamaster Deville)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josiahsiung, Aug 10, 2011.

1. josiahsiung

josiahsiung Active Member

though if bauhaus is available or something similar, that style is preferred. (i'm looking to pair this with a suit for work everyday)

2. josiahsiung

H
    Thanks so much for you detailed responses. To give you more background regarding my situation: I was originally just looking for a nice dress watch to pair with my suit. I have a very small wrist (6.5"). So i googled "dress watch small wrist styleforum" and many of the threads that came up people were recommending Stowas - that's how I first got interestd in them. But in terms of my preferences, to list them I would have to say:

1. fit: something that will fit nicely on my 6.5" wrist, lugs won't hang off the edge
    2. budget: $100-300
    3. style: Bauhaus is preferred (after seeing the Stowa, I really like the style), or anything similar (i.e. clean and understated).
    4. purpose: to pair with a navy suit wearing it to work everyday
    5. vintage or new?: doesn't really matter. To be honest, I am drawn to vintage because I feel like I can get a good watch for an awesome price - but is that the wrong reasoning? I don't want to get a vintage watch and have tons of problems with it down the road.
    6. considerations thus far: seiko, stowa, nomos, omega, Girard Perrageaux (vintage?)

let me know what you all think!

3. ndsleep612

ndsleep612 Well-Known Member

Bell & Ross and Sinn aren't the same company. The old Bell & Ross watches were manufactured by Sinn. If you seen the dials of the old B&R watches it always says Bell & Ross by Sinn.

Girard Perregaux is out of the OP's budget. Vintage GP watches don't have the same quality as the modern watches. Also since GP's owner Luigi Macaluso passed away, his heirs sold the company to the Gucci Group. With the backing of Gucci, prices and production will get jacked up.

4. josiahsiung

If I find something i really like, I can go up to $500, but that is the max.

5. ndsleep612

ndsleep612 Well-Known Member

You may want to revise your budget for a quality vintage watch. There are tons of vintage watches that are really cheap, reason why is due to lack of available parts. If your vintage watch breaks down, you cannot get it fixed. After the Swiss watch crisis in the 1970's, many watch companies went bankrupt and sold their machines to the Chinese. Hence their knowledge of production of counterfeit watches.

The boat has passed for getting a great vintage watch at an awesome price. This started with the Italian resurrection in the 1980's along with the hipster crowd in the 2000's.

GP vintage is garbage quality. Stowa's claim to fame came from being associated with the Nazi regime. Out of all the brands you listed, only Omega will service their old watches. There is a chance that if you do end up getting a vintage Omega and it breaks, no parts can be found. For a price, Omega might be able to manufacture the broken parts. In your price budget, Seiko is very reasonable. They make a ton of different watches in all sorts of designs.

6. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

Thought that was essentially the same thing I said, except I added that the B&R team might have originally been a team at Sinn that spun out to start their own company. Sinn generously helped them get off the ground. Anyway, no matter as I digressed as no Sinns or B&Rs would fit OP's wants as they are too big.

Start here to see if you like vintage. You may not. NDsleep is right though. Unless you have a great watch repair guy with tremendous access to old parts, if one of these breaks, you're pretty much screwed.

http://jewelry.shop.ebay.com/Wristw...mPrRngCbx=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=3

If there are specific ones you spot that you like, ask away. Again, visit with the watchuseek people as well.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

$500 won't get you anything worthwhile. Save $400 and buy a Casio until you can afford to get a decent watch.

It's tough love, but take this advice and do yourself a favour.

8. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I agree with Prince on this.

A Nomos (e.g. the Orion) or vintage Omega Constellation would be fine choices, but you will need significantly more than $500.

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I'm no watch guy, but was also looking for something similar so here are some ideas... I realize these aren't all quite Bauhaus style but maybe you'll see something you'll like in there.

Tissot Desire
    [​IMG]

hamilton jazzmaster
    [​IMG]

archimede arcadia
    [​IMG]

Seiko, not sure the model...
    [​IMG]

skagen, check their site under mens, white dials
    [​IMG]

these are more like $800 new but second hand might get you that $800 point

Junghans Max Bill
    [​IMG]

Epos 3387
    [​IMG]

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

11. josiahsiung

12. josiahsiung

13. diekeyser

diekeyser Well-Known Member

Not to confuse matters but have you considered a vintage datejust suits my small wrists
    As does my 40mm sea master

14. Georges5

Georges5 Senior member

Do you mean this watch i bought in eBay ?

[​IMG]

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

That's about the most useless measurement I've ever seen.

I have a tiny wrist - smaller than yours - and I find 36mm-38mm watches completely size appropriate. My 40mm Rolex GMT is large on my wrist, but not in a totally unpleasant way.

Also, $300-$500 isn't going to get you a very nice watch.

16. jdsher

jdsher Member

Just to offer a slightly different point of view regarding Stowa. I've had my Antea for over 3 years and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. I ordered mine with a COSC movement and it is the most accurate watch I own. I also own a couple of Omegas that I love as well, but unfortunately they aren't in your budget. If I was looking to buy something dressy in that budget I would definitely look at a Hamilton (I own two Hamilton automatics) or maybe the Seiko automatics (I gave one to my son and he loves it). You could actually buy a couple of different styles in the Seiko for your budget. I would also recommend spending some time on the watchuseek forums, specifically the affordable watch sub forum.
    Good luck.
    Jon