Dress Watch for Small Wrist (Stowa Antea KS or Omega Seamaster Deville)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josiahsiung, Aug 10, 2011.

1. josiahsiung

josiahsiung Active Member

where can i buy these watches:

stowa antea Ks (Klein Sekunde)
    omega (vintage) seamaster deville

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

3. josiahsiung

i dont think omega seamaster deville's are produced anymore.
    as for the stowas, the website you posted is for nomos.

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

ah, oops. meant www.stowa.de. I've been comparing it to the Nomos

5. ndsleep612

ndsleep612 Well-Known Member

Here's my experience with owning a Stowa watch. I've owned a Stowa Marine Original LE 2 before and the watch was super hyped up when I pre-ordered it online. Over promise and under delivered. I waited like 6 months for my Stowa from putting down a deposit until I got my watch. Everything seemed cool, until I started examining the finishing of the movement. I found a missing spot where a tiny spot on the movement wasn't finished. Do a search online and you'll find the pictures of the Stowa I owned. The blemish on the movement is like admiring a hot chick with a fat zit on her nose.

Jorg, Stowa's owner told me that they don't finish the movements themselves, but is outsourced to someone else. When I started to learn about Stowa watches, their early fans noted that Jorg did the finishing on the watches. As they grew, quality control became hard to control.

I contacted Stowa's US distributor Watchbuys and they are sleazy. Watchbuys put the blame on Stowa saying that they will pay for shipping the watch back to Germany. Watchbuys will ignore your emails if you have a defective watch sold by them. Miraculously they will talk to you when you show a tiny bit of interest in a watch they sell. When I contacted Stowa, they told me that I would have to pay the shipping cost myself.

Eventually I said f*ck it and sold the watch at a huge loss. I decided that shipping the watch back to Germany at my own cost didn't make sense since the watch supposedly had a 24 month factory warranty. I don't miss the watch at all. Besides the Stowa having German watch qualities along with the watch strap, the deployant clasp is probably Made in China, because it doesn't note any manufacture of origin.

In regards to Omega, I've owned a vintage Seamaster and currently a modern Seamaster GMT. Omega will service all of their watches regardless of age. I'm not sure if Stowa will be around 30 years from now. Omega is like Rolex, both mass produced with excellent finishing and accuracy.

Be careful when buying watches that are only sold on the internet such as Stowa, because pictures and review can be VERY deceiving. For Stowa, I would only pay attention to reviews that are dated 2010+, because they had quality control issues prior to that. Also when the Marine Original LE #1 came out, there were plenty of positive press skewing the actual end product. Try not to get caught in the hype. Good luck in your choice!

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

ndsleep612 - Wow that is the most honest and well written review I've seen of a watch in a long time. I too have been (sort of) following the Stowa story. It seemed like such a winner. Now I am thinking twice about buying one thanks to you.

7. josiahsiung

hmm, in that case should i go for a omega seamaster deville? would omega even be able to service it? you can't buy those new anymore can you?

do you have any other recommendations for a Bauhaus style watch?

i also have a VERY small wrist, so the smaller the watch the better (35mm or less?)

8. josiahsiung

i also have a VERY small wrist, so the smaller the watch the better (35mm or less?)

9. josiahsiung

10. ndsleep612

Omega will service ANY of their watches as long as it's Omega and not a frankenwatch. Unlike Rolex, they keep a database for their vintage watches. If you have a serial number you can go to their website and date when a watch was manufactured. Also you can pay a fee and request an archive certificate for vintage Omega watches.

How big is your wrist? Certain watch cases fit better on certain wrists, it all depends on the curve of your wrist and your own comfort.

The best moderately priced German made watches in the Bauhaus style I can think of are Nomos and Junghan's Max Bill watches.

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

I posted this comment around 8/1:

I am the original owner of an 18K gold Seamaster Deville from 1964.
    It doesn't have a date window, as per my preference. It sits in a drawer.
    Never kept good time.

No, it is not for sale.

12. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

Definitely check with the guys on the watchuseek forum.

Absolutely love the Sinn's but the cases may be a bit big for your taste. Very German in design - classics that will never be part of a fad and they have never advertised, thus the lack of recognition which I like. The mid-range automatic German watches use lots of the workhorse ETA 2824 movements. I was originally attracted to German watches after seeing the no-logo Stowa Flieger - sleek, anonymous, rugged, just plain sweet. However, I discovered that the B-Uhr watches were originally made by five houses (Stowa, Laco, IWC, Lange, & Wempe) for the German Luftwaffe in WWII. As I work in an industry with many of Jewish descent, I checked with several of my good friends that are Jewish. Even the ones that were not overly sensitive flinched and joked that they couldn't be my friend anymore if I got one. Just something to keep in mind as you search. Based on your size requirements, go vintage - pre-1970s probably.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Why anyone would want to associate themselves with a watch that has an invented* history about making pieces for the Luftwaffe I have no idea.

*Stowa the company now has nothing to do with the Stowa of the 1940s - it is a name that was sold in the 90s that has engineered its mythical continuous history back to 40s.

14. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

I've never been told by Stowa about lineage or provenance nor seen it in any advertisements. They reference that it is a replica of some type of original, but definitely don't mention the Luftwaffe or German pilots. Their Fleiger caught my eye purely on looks. I only learned about the history of the B-Uhr makers through my research, which I'm glad I did. I did not end up buying any of them because of the questionable past of the originals which the modern ones are trying to replicate... but you gotta admit, still a damn good looking watch.

http://www.stowa.de/cgi-bin/cosmosh...31307898427310&ls=en&nocache=1313079020-28040

Anyway, good luck in your search OP.

15. ndsleep612

Watchbuys is the sole US seller of Sinn and Stowa watches. They are very very shady when it comes to after-sales servicing. Many buyers who've had issues with their watches get ignored by them. They will only communicate with you if you are buying a watch from them. This shows that they don't really stand behind the watches they sell.

The Watchuseek forum is very skewed in that there is a Stowa fanboy forum. I got my information from them when I bought my Stowa only to get something else upon receipt. Those guys drank the kool-aid and are still partying on it like it's 1999. This is why I recommend the OP only look into post 2010 reviews, due to past quality issues ignored by the Stowa fanboys. The more independent the review, the less bias there is in favor for the brand.

The OP is looking for a Bauhaus style watch not a sports watch. So keep in mind that 90% of the watches out there won't fit his preference.