• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Vests and what to wear under

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I've got a few dress vests (waistcoats) that I'll wear with a button-down and jeans. (Or slacks if I'm at work.)

I've once worn just a white vneck tee underneath of a vest and I thought that worked pretty well, though a little to LA-looking for doing it again. My question is what are your thoughts on polo-shirts under vests? I've got some slim-fitting pique polos that would go with the colors of the vests, but I'm not sure if that's sillylooking or not.

Even if I try it on, I'm not sure. And typically my rule is; "If you put it on and it doesn't feel rockin, it aint"

Thoughts?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This thread is useless without pics.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I figured it'd be difficult to say. As soon as my food is done cooking, I'll put on something in question and take some pics

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I apologize but I had to use my phone. Obviously ignore the track pants and the shirt would probably be tucked into jeans. I just want to get an opinion on the "look" of the polo and vets.
IMG00111.jpg
IMG00112.jpg
IMG00113.jpg
vest4.jpg

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The vest is too tight; but I'm guessing you want that.

If you are going for a modern look you could wear anything under the vest as long as it fit.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Really? I should loosen it up a bit in the back then? I've recently just purchased a few because I like the look, it's easily possible I'm not wearing them right. All the magazines and photos I've seen them in show them as close fitting, so I followed that example.

It's new territory for me.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Try these pics over in the Streetwear forum. Just speaking for myself, but you are probably not going to get much backing of the look here.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Try these pics over in the Streetwear forum. Just speaking for myself, but you are probably not going to get much backing of the look here.

Are you sure? Looks kinda iammatt to me.

- B

JAlfredPrufrock

Reaction score
Eh, I don't think it works well with a polo. I wear a vest with a button up shirt and jeans pretty regularly, but you have to be careful, especially if it is a white shirt. I've developed a habit of rolling my sleeves way up when I wear these combos (to about the middle of my bicep). I don't know why, but I really like the look (feels kinda like 1920s/30s but somehow not affected) and it keeps me from looking like a valet.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I don't think the vest goes well with a polo or any short sleeved shirt.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are young -- wear it with whatever you can get away with. Old farts like me only wear them over dress shirts and never without a coat. Enjoy your freedom while it lasts!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
How high is your swagger quotient? Because, if you can't beat this man, don't even try:
swaggerxs2.jpg

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
How high is your swagger quotient? Because, if you can't beat this man, don't even try:

That man has so much swagger, he must be ******** it out daily.

That said, I've worn vests over dress shirts while going out on occasion. I usually get compliments on the look. I'm not a fan of vests over T-shirts or a polo. A button down with sleeves rolled up seems fine though.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger

swaggerxs2.jpg

GAWDDAYYUM
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads