• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress trousers and chelsea boots

JCM

Reaction score
I like the look, but every time I wear chelseas with dress trousers, sit down, and stand up, the back of the trouser cuff gets caught on the back of the boot. So I either reach down and fix the cuffs every time I stand up, or look completely silly walking around with the rear of the cuffs "tucked" into the boots. It discourages me from wearing the boots. Does anyone else have this happen? What do you do?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sometimes you just gotta straighten your tie a little bit

JCM

Reaction score
Makes sense - glad it isn't just me.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also often wear chelsea boots with suits and dress odd trousers, and I almost never have this problem. It may happen occasionally, but not often enough to be really annoying.

flatfront

Reaction score
I remember seeing a fine pair of Chelsea boots in Udeshi's shop and he had simply had the maker place the pull tab on the inside of the heel to prevent this. Seemed so simple and made the boot a little sleeker to look at too. Maybe it will catch on?

khaki sack

Reaction score
I have seen this happen to too many people. It looks awful.

If you're not in Australia, I'm not sure why you would be wearing chelsea boots with dress trousers or a suit anyway.
confused.gif
Try jodphur boots or chukkas instead, if you must wear boots.

You could always clip off the pull tab.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
If you're not in Australia, I'm not sure why you would be wearing chelsea boots with dress trousers or a suit anyway.
confused.gif
Try jodphur boots or chukkas instead, if you must wear boots.

I love chelseas, personally. Jodhpurs have always struck me as more costumey than chelseas -- I don't think the extra detailing adds much to the boot.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I love chelseas, personally. Jodhpurs have always struck me as more costumey than chelseas -- I don't think the extra detailing adds much to the boot.

I like chelseas, but I no longer wear them. I used to pair them with jeans or moleskins. To my mind they are a casual boot.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
sometimes you just gotta straighten your tie a little bit
+1. I like wearing chelseas with dress trousers, even though the trouser legs always get caught on the pull tab at the back. It only takes a second to adjust. Chukkas, with their open lacing, strike me as more casual than chelseas. So I wear chukkas with jeans and cords, but I'll wear chelseas with anything (OK, not with shorts, but I never wear shorts). Edit: Doc, I like your new signature line.

Prince

Reaction score
I used to have this problem as well with my boots and since I am often standing up in the office, I (with pain in my heart) cut the pull tabs off. I mean, nobody will even know they were there, but it is way more comfortable for me.

Matagalpa

Reaction score
Sorry for necroposting, but I haven't found this issue discussed anywhere else.

Any other ideas other than to cut the pull tabs?

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to buy higher boots, no other solution. I have no idea why the hell they sell ankle boots where this is an inevitable problem; I wasted so much $ on boots that were too short and my trousers always got stuck in them. I just go bespoke now and get them a few inches higher, never had the problem again.

Matagalpa

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm buying boots. Unfortunately I just recently purchased two pairs of ankle boots (Blundsone and Grisport), so I'm looking for a way to improve things with those...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads