• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress to Impress

JoeInPhila2

Reaction score
I have an 'office party' to attend this Thursday and the style requested is 'dress to impress'. I was told though that it was more of a 'smart casual' and not to obviously wear jeans but also something like a tux was not necessary either. What should I wear so as not to be underdressed Or overdressed?
I must also mention I am on a limited budget and this is not a very frequent thing for me so I wouldn't want to invest in something that I may not wear again in the very near future. I just want to make sure I don't stand out in any way,so I would need the right pants/shirt combo as well as a good brand.

JRinDC

Reaction score
White dress shirt, blue cashmere or fine merino sweater (roll the sleeves) and a good quality black or grey wool pant, perhaps in a subtle windowpane fabric. Just one idea.

JoeInPhila2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRinDC
White dress shirt, blue cashmere or fine merino sweater (roll the sleeves) and a good quality black or grey wool pant, perhaps in a subtle windowpane fabric. Just one idea.

Would it also matter if sweaters weren't quite my style? White shirt maybe,but it'd have to be the right kind.

JRinDC

Reaction score
How about blazers? Do you have a nice sport coat? Maybe something you could dress up with good pants or dress down with jeans?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's the party? At the office? At a restaurant? Smart casual seems like a good interpretation. Keep in mind that it's supposed to be pretty warm in Philadelphia on Thursday, so a sweater may not be the best recommendation.

JRinDC

Reaction score
THat's a fair point. It could hit 70 on Thursday. Scratch the sweater.

mendel

Reaction score
"Dress to impress" is the usual dress code for the sort of club that lets people in based on what they're wearing -- so I'd assume that the person that wrote the invitation used it for lack of any better idea how to express what they wanted. Smart casual, but downtown smart casual.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
I would go with some light charcoal wool pants, a black button down, and black driving machs.

JoeInPhila2

Reaction score
I found a pair of dress pants,now I just have to decide what kind of top to wear. I have a light sweater and also polo shirts,not sure if polo is too casual.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That depends on the style and material of the polo. And, tricky, on what others are wearing. Not that a high price makes it work, but if the polo's full price was under $50, it most likely would look too casual for the pants and the setting.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer longer sleeves for evening, especially if I am asked to impress.

If it were me: White shirt, blazer, jeans, brown dress shoes.

If it's colder - solid suit with turtleneck or boldly striped sweater.

You might also compare notes with others who will be attending.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd suggest something like a dress shirt under a v-neck sweater, or a polo collar sweater, along with dress pants and good shoes. Pretty safe.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you notice other people on the street, what look impresses you?

Buy/wear that.

cpac

Reaction score
I'd echo that this call for something you'd wear out to a club. I'd say a suit no tie, or some sort of blazer combo - perhaps with a tight sweather rather than dress shirt underneath. Think dark colors generally, and perhaps a good occasion for the much maligned black suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads