Dress the Foo: 'Lounge' outfit for the Today show

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Aug 30, 2009.

1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe I missed it - what day is the Foofran going to be on TV?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Maybe I missed it - what day is the Foofran going to be on TV?

I think he said Sept 2, Wednesday.

3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I think he said Sept 2, Wednesday.

Yes, that's what he said. The description for that day on my DVR even mentioned the Esquire spot.

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Good for Mafoofan.

For those of us who actually have to work, can somebody post a video link (like Youtube or something) afterwards?

That would be really nice and helpful. Thanks.

5. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

[SERIOUS]

Foofy: what they mean is something that (1) can be soiled, mussed up etc. while you wait to go on and...here's the part that explains (1) which is (2) that is friendly for make-up application.

At a minimum, you'll get powdered. You'll want make-up, so don't be a media n00b and apply forvm or faux-gent standards to that. Appearing on live TV already implies a certain loss of manhood, so suck it up.

Vox is correct. But be aware that this is also probably something of a trap. I will bet at some point they show the contestants live, backstage. I may be misremembering but I seem to recall a picture of you in Naples that was casual but still fit your own particular . . . idiom. Maybe something like that.

Do not let your jacket -- I assume you'll be wearing a Rubinacci -- out of your sight. DO NOT let some wardrobe flunky steam or press your jacket, assuming you might want to wear it again someday. People who work in wardrobe departments do not think in terms of clothes, they think in terms of costumes. Costumes are disposable. They will do things to your jacket to get it "right" for the shot with no thought whatsoever about any of the consequences. Worse, having no experience with proper tailoring, there is ever possibility that their attempts to steam and press it will wreck it on the spot. Do you have any idea how bad puckered seams look on HDTV?
    [/SERIOUS]

In your interview, be sure and tell them that you intend to donate the 10K worth of Kenneth Cole to the homeless.

6. sjg22

sjg22 Senior member

I would define lounge-wear thusly:

What would you be wearing if you were having acquaintances or friends over to your place for a casual drink? For me, I would say a pair of jeans, some driving mocs and button down collar shirt (or polo shirt) and perhaps a sweater of some kind and definitely no socks - or, in the winter, some cashmere argyle socks. I would say lounge wear goes as formal as blazer but does not quite reach tie (exceptions made for silk knit ties perhaps). For me, it would go as low as some white, linen, well-cut shorts and maybe a madras shirt.

Whatever you wear to be relaxed and comfortable at home but still be acceptable for company should they suddenly arrive would be lounge wear in this context.

And if whatever you wear to your office is what you claim your lounge wear is, I feel a bit sorry for you.

7. romafan

romafan Senior member

Sweet! And I don't need cable, right? For lounging, sleep in your tux and wear that, just undue bowtie as you get out of the cab. Try some 'relaxation' exercises - you don't want to pull a Ralph Kramden (chef of the future):

8. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

[SERIOUS]

Do not let your jacket -- I assume you'll be wearing a Rubinacci -- out of your sight. DO NOT let some wardrobe flunky steam or press your jacket, assuming you might want to wear it again someday. People who work in wardrobe departments do not think in terms of clothes, they think in terms of costumes. Costumes are disposable. They will do things to your jacket to get it "right" for the shot with no thought whatsoever about any of the consequences. Worse, having no experience with proper tailoring, there is ever possibility that their attempts to steam and press it will wreck it on the spot. Do you have any idea how bad puckered seams look on HDTV?
    [/SERIOUS]

Foo, perhaps you can request that jefferyd be flown in to press your on-camera attire for you or at the very least oversee the pressing and serve as technical consultant.

9. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Vox is correct. But be aware that this is also probably something of a trap. I will bet at some point they show the contestants live, backstage... Do not let your jacket -- I assume you'll be wearing a Rubinacci -- out of your sight. DO NOT let some wardrobe flunky steam or press your jacket, assuming you might want to wear it again someday. People who work in wardrobe departments do not think in terms of clothes, they think in terms of costumes. Costumes are disposable. They will do things to your jacket to get it "right" for the shot with no thought whatsoever about any of the consequences. Worse, having no experience with proper tailoring, there is ever possibility that their attempts to steam and press it will wreck it on the spot. Do you have any idea how bad puckered seams look on HDTV? In your interview, be sure and tell them that you intend to donate the 10K worth of Kenneth Cole to the homeless.
    [​IMG]

10. unjung

unjung Senior member

Someone needs to record this and Torrent it for me.

11. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

12. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

Foo, perhaps you can request that jefferyd be flown in to press your on-camera attire for you or at the very least oversee the pressing and serve as technical consultant.

How big-timer would that be? His own travel-sized jiffy-tailor.

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

But gdl already lives in NYC. [​IMG]

--Andre

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

But gdl already lives in NYC. [​IMG]

--Andre

I believe that it is mathematically pointless to re-roll a single button SB front, however.

- B

15. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I believe that it is mathematically pointless to re-roll a single button SB front, however.

- B

Wait, are you suggesting that gdl has managed to re-roll a 3B to a 3-roll-2 in the past?